Please make it stop!!!!

sndmn11

WKR
I guess your not grasping the topic of this thread...
Posting unit specific information, on this site isn’t earning anything.

It very well could be step one in the "earn it" slogan, and it isn't hurting anything. The point of a discussion forum is to discuss, not to try and discourage learning and conceal information. Where would anyone be in life if knowledge was never shared? That's kind of what makes humans unique.

WoodrowCall

Lil-Rokslider
I think the point the folks who are frustrated and have been around a while are trying to make is the majority of the “newbies” ask their post for their “first time elk hunt in ____” are never heard from again. There in lies the problem. It makes a person feel used if giving information to someone who can’t respect them enough to at least provide a recap of what happened after the trip. To me, it shows they were only looking for quick information in a selfish way and if that’s the mindset they have, they will likely share that information with whoever moving forward. If the majority of newbies asking questions returnedwith a mindset of thankfulness and have a recap of their events, I bet more information would be shared by those who are frustrated....

I have not been an active member of Rokslide for very long myself (been lurking and reading for years) but I am tired of seeing the newbie posts. It makes me frustrated even though I have no honey holes or information to offer. For a first timer, it is difficult to even start with where to go. There’s a lot of time and money invested in the trip and nobody wants to come home empty handed, but that is hunting, why it’s not called killing.

Are there new elk hunters that ARE honest, willing to put in the work, dedication, and sweat equity? Absolutely. But I bet that percentage is lower than this hunting community would like to think. Blame it on x, y, or z but when we get down to the root of it, it’s a societal problem that will not improve anytime soon. Majority of folks want their quick fix these days; want the reward without the sacrifice. But that is a whole other thread/topic...

Elktaco

Lil-Rokslider
So I guess unless your "grandfathered in"no one new is allowed to start elk hunting??? Or asking for a little help, isn't that what this website was started for??

WoodrowCall

Lil-Rokslider
So I guess unless your "grandfathered in"no one new is allowed to start elk hunting??? Or asking for a little help, isn't that what this website was started for??
As I posted above, I think what gets folks frustrated is the way some go about asking for information and never return to thank those who provided information to them. I believe there are many (Including yourself) that do offer information in the form of tactics, geography, experience, gear, etc that is invaluable to a newbie. It’s just not unit specific information put out on an open forum for everyone to see.

It very well could be step one in the "earn it" slogan, and it isn't hurting anything. The point of a discussion forum is to discuss, not to try and discourage learning and conceal information. Where would anyone be in life if knowledge was never shared? That's kind of what makes humans unique.

So where do you guys hunt....exactly.
I have a friend that’s looking for a spot.
He has a bunch of family members that want to hunt too...and they all have friends that want to hunt as well.
Please be specific.”, lol

njdoxie

WKR
Lot of good points on both sides of this discussion. We were all new elk hunters, and new to forums at some point, so 99% of the time I ignore post that annoy me, but yeah, it gets old as hell.
Sure you can ask for help, please do, but do your research first, then come here and ask questions. A newbie can have ALL their questions asked by spending time going thru all the elk threads and reading the ones that pique their interest. THEN come on here to ask further questions. Over the years I've looked at every elk thread and read many of them.
But there is no reason to start yet another thread asking how to acclimatize, asking is the 270 a good caliber, asking for tips for a first time hunter, asking for caliber suggestions, asking about expected weather, asking about best boots/pack/sleeping bag/tent, asking about hiking poles, asking about best elk calls, asking about meat care, asking for best archery OTC unit, asking for best spot to hunt in unit x, etc..... All these subjects and many more have been discussed to death already.

Last edited:

WoodrowCall

Lil-Rokslider
But there is no reason to start yet another thread asking how to acclimatize, asking is the 270 a good caliber, asking for tips for a first time hunter, asking for caliber suggestions, asking about expected weather, asking about best boots/pack/sleeping bag/tent, asking about hiking poles, asking about best elk calls, asking about meat care, asking for best archery OTC unit, asking for best spot to hunt in unit x, etc..... All these subjects and many more have been discussed to death already.
You hit almost all the questions! Haha
As a newbie myself, I think that’s why I get frustrated seeing the posts, because I know I already found the answers by using the search function. It actually works pretty good compared to other hunting forums...

You hit the nail on the head. Do your homework and then ask your questions if you still have any. Same thing happens on FB groups though: same question asked over and over, many times in the same day. People don’t know how to use a search function there either...

As a newbie myself, I think that’s why I get frustrated seeing the posts, because I know I already found the answers by using the search function. It actually works pretty good compared to other hunting forums...

You hit the nail on the head. Do your homework and then ask your questions if you still have any. Same thing happens on FB groups though: same question asked over and over, many times in the same day. People don’t know how to use a search function there either...

Everyone knows how to use a search feature...including 8 year old children.

People don’t use a search feature, because they’re lazy and want handouts.

It’s called DIY for a reason!

Gila

WKR
Lot of good points on both sides of this discussion. We were all new elk hunters, and new to forums as some point, so 99% of the time I ignore post that annoy me, but yeah, it gets old as hell.
Sure you can ask for help, please do, but do your research first, then come here and ask questions. A newbie can have ALL their questions asked by spending time going thru all the elk threads and reading the ones that pique their interest. THEN come on here to ask further questions. Over the years I've looked at every elk thread and read many of them.
I get your main point however new and better products come out all of the time. When I was a kid, 270 and 30-06 were 90% of what people were hunting with.

We hunted with close knit family and friends. The non-residents stayed at hunting camps and used guides. Quite a few ranches had their own small hunt camps for maybe 4 or 5 hunters max. Those camps were a well guarded secret! Most outfitters leased land from the ranchers. Guides were required for non res to hunt wilderness in some states way back then. Now with google earth and the internet, people flock to hunting forums to get information because they don't want to hire a guide. They want to get into the elk for free. Information costs somebody somethun! The way I see it, if they are going to dance to the tune, they have to pay the fiddler.

Elktaco

Lil-Rokslider
Your right "we" dont want to hire a guide!!! Do you blame us??!! Just because you were born and raised with elk hunting opportunities nearby doesn't mean those that did not can't create there own opportunity to elk hunt.

sndmn11

WKR
So where do you guys hunt....exactly.
I have a friend that’s looking for a spot.
He has a bunch of family members that want to hunt too...and they all have friends that want to hunt as well.
Please be specific.”, lol

See you all out there...and there will still be leftover tags after you guys "earn it". I'd ask that you let me know how it was when you are all finished up.

40.00859, -107.28056
40.07889, -107.26851
40.10460, -107.34624

ID2NM

Lil-Rokslider
If somebody wants to ask a question, let them. If somebody wants to answer them, let them. If somebody wants to give away every secret they know on an open forum, who really cares? We all have the freedom to do what we want with what we know. If hunters helping other hunters makes you angry, then I suggest you get off of Rokslide and spend your computer time in the woods.

What annoys me more than specific unit info being posted on the web is those that continually bitch about it like it's going to make any difference. Live and let live, go outside, do what we all love to do, and care less about how others do it. There aren't any secrets anymore, I guarantee your quality of life will improve immeasurably once you accept it and get on with your life.

TheGDog

WKR
See you all out there...and there will still be leftover tags after you guys "earn it". I'd ask that you let me know how it was when you are all finished up.

40.00859, -107.28056
40.07889, -107.26851
40.10460, -107.34624
It's always fascinating to zoom out from some unknown coords. And keep zooming out until you can figure out where the hell it is! So envious of you folks that live places with all kinds of different habitats to go to.

TravisIN

WKR

Yea the search function actually works on here. God forbid you try and search anything on AT. Which IMO is only good for the classifieds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DavePwns

WKR
If somebody wants to ask a question, let them. If somebody wants to answer them, let them. If somebody wants to give away every secret they know on an open forum, who really cares? We all have the freedom to do what we want with what we know. If hunters helping other hunters makes you angry, then I suggest you get off of Rokslide and spend your computer time in the woods.

What annoys me more than specific unit info being posted on the web is those that continually bitch about it like it's going to make any difference. Live and let live, go outside, do what we all love to do, and care less about how others do it. There aren't any secrets anymore, I guarantee your quality of life will improve immeasurably once you accept it and get on with your life.
I disagree, I think that hunters etiquette goes beyond just the woods. Being respectful is a core attribute of a good hunter and I don't think posting specific detailed info on a public forum is respectful.

mwebs

WKR
Yes we were all new once and we all had to “create our own opportunities.” The difference is we didn’t all go to an Internet forum and ask where we should hunt, we figured it out on our own. Then when some dude that needs to feel good about himself tells a guys with one post who will never be back on the forum an area you like to hunt it pisses you off. Justify it how you must but it’s very simple, everyone posting those questions is looking for a handout period.

cmahoney

WKR
I don’t have time to scout though, got a bachelor party in Vegas bowling league and nascar tickets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

raptor16

Lil-Rokslider
So what are some examples of questions that would be “acceptable”? So far I’ve read about guys being upset about unit specific info out in the open (totally not ok to do), asking for ways to access trails or otherwise, thoughts about certain areas, etc. But some of you are saying “guys should do their research -and then ask question.” What are those questions that wouldn’t get someone yelled at for the guys who are saying that certain questions are ok? Not asking you guys that are against giving out any info at all.

DavePwns

WKR
So what are some examples of questions that would be “acceptable”? So far I’ve read about guys being upset about unit specific info out in the open (totally not ok to do), asking for ways to access trails or otherwise, thoughts about certain areas, etc. But some of you are saying “guys should do their research -and then ask question.” What are those questions that wouldn’t get someone yelled at for the guys who are saying that certain questions are ok? Not asking you guys that are against giving out any info at all.
In my opinion, when talking about an area, questions can be asked, but it's frowned upon to give post specific info on a public forum. If the OP really does need info to get started in hunting a unit, then it will be much more well received to say please PM me, which keeps it between 2 people, not hundreds if not thousands of people over time.

This is a PSA for all “newbies”. Nobody is going to tell you where to hunt in your given gmu. We all want to know where the elk are. We all want to get away from pressure. We all are willing to hike in a few miles. None of us are looking for someone else’s honey hole. I think that covers it. Rant over...

Searching maps and boots on the ground is always a huge part of my scouting and always has been. It's part of my passion for hunting elk and I truly enjoy that part of it. There have been times (not very many) that I went in blind and only had looked at maps. And was still able to find them. I never too much worried about pressure. It's the chance you take. Good hunters will find them. Pressured? Or not......the elk aren't always in September, where they were in August.