Please recc a spotting scope to meet my needs!

Goolahg

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Hey everyone,

I'm looking for a spotting scope that fits a variety of requirements.

1) Spotting and identifying ducks in watering holes in upstate NY.
2) Crisp and clear picture quality.
3) Use for an elk hunt in CO. (Like 3 hunts in a lifetime realistically)
4) Use at the range.
5) Somewhat light weight for ounce counting.
6) Plays nice with phonescope adapters.
7) Great warrenty (not bulletproof like vortex but something reliable.)
8) Needs a good resale value.

Sooo swaro?

I'm prepared to drop up to 3k new, but if I dont need that extra mile feature because ill hunt elk once or twice in my life, i'm ok with that. I hunt white tail every year and have never needed a spotting scope. I'M REALLY BAD at identifying waterfowl in general so Id like to spend time glassing birds with a book to ID them. I'm just generally in nature on public land hiking and camping a lot. Want to start recording more of it. Will be moving from water hole to water hole to scout for duck spots in the coming months.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
A Kowa TSN-77 mm spotter sounds like the perfect fit, or you could spend about 1000 more than your budget on an 85 mm swaro.

Kowa has an affordable digiscoping adapter that’s excellent if you want to use a DSLR but a phoneskope will work awesome on it.

Swaro ATX or STX 65mm would also run you about $3k and is a great scope.

We rent and sell all 3 if you wanted to try one out before you buy.

https://www.rentoutdoorgear.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could buy a lot of spotters that will fit your need for $1200 or less.

Here is what doesn’t get passed along on these threads. You’ll get guys that hunt animals where the best spotters are required. Like counting inches, growth rings, etc... at extreme ranges. They are always going to recommend the too of the line stuff. Rightfully so. Because if you are looking a mile in the early morning, the alpha glass is going to be crisp, clear, and allow you to do that.

But, what gets lost in these threads is there is a ton of glass out there that will tell you it’s a legal ram, it’s an antelope that will score around 75. It’s a 4x4 Mulie that is 26-28” wide. It’s a whitetail buck that has 10 points and will likely go in the 140’s. It’s a mallard at 2 miles. Etc.....

So, with your requirements listed, it’d take a want to buy a $3000 spotter versus a need.

If you planned on dropping $100,000 over the next decade or so hunting things that required alpha glass, you’d be foolish not to buy it right now. If it’s in your budget. But, if you intend to do what you say, you could get by with half the cost or, a lot less, and still have a spotter you’d be very pleased with.

That’s reality. What you do with it is your choice. But, it doesn’t change it.

I forgot to add my recommendations of what I’d buy. A Pentax 80 Ed II is a spotter that gets little love but, will set in any top end crowd and hold its own with a quality eye piece. It’s not small. But, a Leupold GR sounds like it’d be a great fit for you. It’s is small and very light.

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Does that work for mirrorless cameras too?? Say a sony a7III
Yes, mirrorless cameras with electronic shutter are actually preferred as they eliminate the camera shake induced by mechanical shutter. We have the Sony T2 adapter ring to mate the TSN-PA7 digiscoping adapter to your camera. That would be an awesome combo!

Sounds like WV Mountaineer thinks along the same lines as me. I just purchased a Pentax Pf 65 ED 2 angled scope . The Pentax is superb ,for reference I also own a Leupold GR 12-40 non HD and a Bausch and Lomb 15-45 Elite. Any of these three scopes will easily accomplish what you are trying to do. I am sure there are others as well. If I ever buy another scope it will be a Swaro or a Kowa , but honestly I doubt that I ever will the scopes I have get the job done.

Curious why you want to use a spotter for waterfowl. I have a dedicated pair of Vortex Diamondback binoculars for that. Works just fine for that and if they get lost, then not a biggie. I've personally never been in a situation while waterfowl hunting that I felt the need for a spotting scope. But now...

I'd look strongly at the Kowa 553/554. Awesome reviews (hangs extremely well with alpha 65s) and checks boxes 2-8 (at a minimum). The Swaro ATX/STX is extremely nice and I love mine. However, it is a heavy SOB (more so when I run the 95). Last Friday I just ordered the Kowa 554 from CameraLand NY (Doug). While the Kowa 554 will not replace my STX 65/95, it will still get plenty of field time on hunts where it makes more sense.

With the Kowa 553/554 ($1499 with Doug @ CameraLand NY) you will have plenty of money left over in your $3K budget for other optical needs or other gear for that matter. What type of binoculars are you currently using? Do you already have a quality tripod and head?