Please talk to your older family members!

So I work for a community bank. Over the last 5 years we have had 2 customers fall for scams. . . Until recently. We have had 3 customers in the last 6 months fall for scams. They are typically women over 60 that fall for it but anyone over 60 is at a higher risk.

We are not talking about peanuts either folks. These people are being scammed out of their retirement! Hundreds of thousands of dollars. Some are people that I thought we're very intelligent individuals.

Talking points for your parents, grand parents, or older friends.

1. If someone tells you that you owe them money, demand an itemized invoice to be reviewed by yourself and your family. (And have your family review it, or a lawyer, or accountant) also if you owe them, you should remember why or have a good or service from them.

2. Never send money to someone you have not spoke with in person! Literally in person, close enough to touch!

3. Never, ever, under any circumstance send a cashier's check to someone. If you know them a personal check is fine. If it's a payment a personal check is fine. If someone is demanding a cashier's check they had better be a title company helping with closing on a house or an auto dealer etc. Cashier's checks are guaranteed funds and cannot be recovered or canceled! A money order is a better option but still rarely needed.

4. No one needs you to send them money if they are going to pay you back soon! If that was the case they would wait for their money or get a short term loan. If they claim you have one something but need to send them money first, just hang up! If you win something the IRS will find you for the taxes owed, the won't be asking you to pay upfront before recieving a prize.

5. When in doubt ask your family or your bank their opinion. Now if you bank at a huge corporate bank (US bank, chase, etc). They maybe less helpful due to their size, but they have training to spot scams and will help. Local banks where they know you, are better because they can spot abnormal transactions.

I know some of you will think this is dumb, hell I know it is dumb. But we caught a scam and alerted a joint account holder today, their spouse is 100% convinced it is not a scam to the point they almost convinced the non participating spouse that it is not a scam. . . It is blatantly obvious to all outside parties that it is a scam! They have lost half of their retirement to this scam, and no authorities are getting involved.

Please, no matter how smart you think your family members are. Talk to them and explain how easy it is for people to fall into these things. If you have an elderly parent or relative consider putting a second person on the account and requiring 2 signatures for transactions over a certain dollar amount.

Have a great weekend and please share this with family!

Gearqueer

Lil-Rokslider
This is a great PSA!! My grandmother, who we thought was doing just fine upstairs, fell for a scam last year. It’s the common one that goes like this:

“Hello, this is the Tijuana Police Dept, and we have your grandson Jimbo here. Jimbo was arrested for something very minor and cannot bond out of jail. He is too embarrassed to call anyone else and he really trusts you to keep the secret so he gave me your number. No one knows he was here in Mexico. Please money gram $10k refundable bond to this account #. blah, blah, blah.”

The money gram lady at my grandmas Walmart had enough courtesy to politely ask what the money was for, and after hearing the circumstances, talked my grandma out of sending it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ODB

WKR
Not dumb at all. Very important. I have access to all my parents accounts and review them every now and then. And also tell them to review anything “new” with me.
Scumbags who prey on the elderly...

gumbl3

WKR
Yep.. I've heard of the one above.. Finding a grandchild and child name online then calling and giving some story that they need money cause they're in trouble

Wapiti1

WKR
Great reminder. My mother in law has been scammed 3 times that I know of. In 2, we were able to keep her from losing any money. Once she lost about $500 to a company that was going to fix her computer.

My wife called her one evening and her mother said, "Oh, I have to go my IT person is calling", and she hung up. Now, my wife is in IT, and WE are her IT people. My wife called back while we were driving over there. By the time we got there, she had forked over her debit card number and they charged nearly $500. She also let them into the PC and they changed the admin rights among other things. I had to F-disk the hard drive and rebuild it. I put a firewall on and limited what she could do, and what anyone else could do just like you would a child.

When we talked to her about why she even thought they were legit, she had no answer. They asked questions and she just reacted.

Please talk to anyone that is older.

Jeremy

OP
S
Yep lots of people out that have no problem ripping off the elderly! And many people from older generations are trusting people and take folks at their word.

hodgeman

WKR
My mom received a call at 4:30am from someone impersonating my 13 year old (at the time) son, claiming to be in a car wreck and needing her card number for cab fare.

Since we live 5 times zones away, she was ready to help any way she could...until the would be thief called her "Grandma". Something neither of her grandkids have ever called her. She is called "Nana" upon pain of death.

At that point she had woken up enough to catch on to what was happening. There's a special corner of hell for folks like this.

OP
S
You or anyone can report these successful scams as elder abuse, that can get authorities involved.

Yes this is true and should be done, it is also important for any person that has been scammed to contact the authorities even if it is embarrassing! Many don't want to because they are embarrassed but it is needed!

MattB

WKR
My dad almost fell for one of these cams, and he was a life long business man. If he didn't have a son that was a banker who is in tune with these sorts of scans, I think he would been out $1,500.

AZ8

WKR
Like others have said, I handle all aspects of my elderly mom’s financial business. I took over after my dad became afflicted with Alzheimer’s and later passed away. I instructed them to never exchange any bank info, checks, cash...etc without contacting me first. It’s amazing the evil out there trying to scam the elderly.

Heck, they even tried it on me via a text impersonating my best friend‘s sister. It went something like this: Hey John!! This is Mary. I’m in a pickle and need some help.....yadda yadda yadda....Of course, my alarm bell went off pretty quick as I knew it was scam from the moment I received “her” text! So I said no problem, I’ll send the cash if you answer one question: What street did you grow up on?

Never received another text! Lol

For every evil random scammer out there there are considerably more evil family members / loved ones that don’t stop the scamming at $1500.

It’s a delicate thing, the trusted love one is the best protection from a random scammer - but also also has the potential to become much worse than a random scammer.

ohoopee

WKR
Insult to injury. Casualty losses are no longer tax deductible for those scams
either. Very sad. I know a recently widowed lady that was talked into cashing
250k retirement for a gold investment. Money gone and 85k tax bill.

Sadly older folks can slip. And they can slip fast and you cannot always see it coming.

I went through a similar thing with my dad last year. It wasn’t a phone scam, but a worthless excuse for a human being that tried to scam him. It was only with the sharp observations of workers from a small local bank that saved this POS from stealing it all. Unfortunately the fallout from it all was unspeakable.

Keep an eye on your old folks guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fatcamp

WKR
Almost like our elected representatives should pay some attention to this. Most of the time I'm not really sure what they actually do for us, but it doesn't take long to see what they don't do.