Pluck a Turkey

I have found it easier to hang them up by the head to pluck. Then just grab handfuls of feathers. And do it somewhere where you don't mind making a mess....feathers go everywhere.

Boil water in a big pot and dip and blanch bird first. Makes plucking much easier. releases feathers some and wet helps with the fuzz and mess.

Personally I now grind the breast meat and slow cook the rest of carcass including legs and thighs. Keep broth for ramen, or thanksgiving gravy adder. Then pour meat on brownie type pan and pick all the bones. Use for enchiladas, stew, soup, tetrazzini, etc etc. get many meals that way.

sram9102

WKR
^^ This is the way. I have never plucked a wild bird but have done quite a few domestics. Quick dip, pluck then singe anything left.

S-3 ranch

WKR
Boil water in a big pot and dip and blanch bird first. Makes plucking much easier. releases feathers some and wet helps with the fuzz and mess.

Personally I now grind the breast meat and slow cook the rest of carcass including legs and thighs. Keep broth for ramen, or thanksgiving gravy adder. Then pour meat on brownie type pan and pick all the bones. Use for enchiladas, stew, soup, tetrazzini, etc etc. get many meals that way.
100% dipping in hot water like the commercial guys do

Vail94

FNG
I’ve plucked them both ways. Dipping is far less messy as the feathers don’t blow around. A dipped turkey, however, smells like a nasty wet dog.

Why pluck, just skin the bird in the field along with a field dressing put it on ice till you get home and then finish up.

Erict

WKR
I don't pluck often, but when I do I use the dip method. I find using latex/rubber gloves really helps alot to get a grip on the feathers. If you don't want to use the dip method then I find warm birds pluck easiest.

Hang it from a tree upside down. I have never bothered to scald them first. If I'm plucking one, I only do from the neck to the bottom of the breast. I cut the back out between the shoulder and skin the legs to slow cook.

Why pluck a bird? Because they are excellent deep fried in peanut oil.

JPD350

WKR
Plucking isn't too bad but feathers go everywhere, I like hanging upside down and pluck it a couple hours after the kill, it sure keeps things clean.

Attachments

• 20180418_202245.jpg
    20180418_202245.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 20180418_211119.jpg
    20180418_211119.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 28
I've never plucked a turkey either. But it seems that the boiling first would be a good idea. would boiling work on a duck as well? I have not plucked any ducks either so just curious.

sram9102

WKR
I've never plucked a turkey either. But it seems that the boiling first would be a good idea. would boiling work on a duck as well? I have not plucked any ducks either so just curious.
A little dawn dish soap helps when doing ducks. Helps fight the hydrophobic properties of the feathers. You can also wax ducks.

I would not use boiling water on a duck or goose. It mats the down and makes it harder to grip. Wax dip works best on them, rough pluck to reveal the down, roll it in wax floated on pot of simmering water and dunk into ice water to harden. When you peel the wax off it looks like it came from the grocery store

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

woods89

WKR
I plucked a gobbler yesterday, first time for me as well. I did it in the field. I'd say it took me 20-30 min, and wasn't as big a deal as I thought.
Back legs, thighs, and wings will probably get made into pozole. Breast meat will probably get roasted on the grill.