Plucking

Vandy321

WKR
Anybody have some tips they've found helpful to avoid plucking, new to shooting a finger tab and that seems to be the toughest thing for me right now. About 3 of 6 arrows comes out with some wonky flight, tailing left at first (RH shooter) and I am having trouble finding a good solid release. Im pretty confident its not bow torque, although won lt say that never happens either. My mind wants to let my fingers open to release the shot, and i know its supoosed to be more subconscious that the strings pulls out not my fingers releasing. I am pulling with my scapula through the release but sometimes it's tough to get my mind off thinking about the release.

I've heard "loosen up that upper forearm and let the string pull from your fingers" but it's easier said than done.

Any other good ways to explain a smooth release?

oldgoat

WKR
Is you string hand involuntarily dropping to your shoulder when you release, if no, then you aren't doing a rotational release and instead are probably doing a shoulder pull, if yes, then make sure your thumb is in your palm, your wrist is relaxed, most of the string weight on your middle finger, the other 2 are basically just place keepers, especially your index, then rotate and try to relax your fingers as your rotate

• Banned
OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
Is you string hand involuntarily dropping to your shoulder when you release, if no, then you aren't doing a rotational release and instead are probably doing a shoulder pull, if yes, then make sure your thumb is in your palm, your wrist is relaxed, most of the string weight on your middle finger, the other 2 are basically just place keepers, especially your index, then rotate and try to relax your fingers as your rotate
Thanks.

Follow through, if I'm not mindful seems high, more towards my ear than my shoulder. I am packing that shoulder down and tension is in the scapula as I get to full draw...its at that point where I'm just not sure where to go or how best to think about executing the release.

What's a good memory aid for that rotation? Visualizing that elbow staying back behind the string more?

oldgoat

WKR
I just tuck my shoulder blade and relax my fingers every so slightly and inertia takes care of the rest. I don't have a good mantra
Thanks.

Follow through, if I'm not mindful seems high, more towards my ear than my shoulder. I am packing that shoulder down and tension is in the scapula as I get to full draw...its at that point where I'm just not sure where to go or how best to think about executing the release.

What's a good memory aid for that rotation? Visualizing that elbow staying back behind the string more?

@oldgoat had some really good advice. Probably a little target panic too…we all have it to some degree at times. Follow through is key, and correct back tension is necessary for that. As stated by old goat. Check out some YouTube videos of Tom clum teaching it, it’s some of the best I’ve found. What also works for me well is focusing on back tension, transition, follow through at the shot (not the AIM or RELEASE) at the shot.

If you try to release your string, you use the flexors in your forearm to do that. That creates some tension and the string does not go through your fingers cleanly. If you can teach yourself to just relax your fingers, that string just opens those fingers up so smoothly. And it’s a thing of beauty when that arrow fly’s down range so clean like that.