Poacher or not…. Thoughts?

Two Roads

Lil-Rokslider
30 cal M1, not exactly a great round. Guy going for hike w rifle, maybe plinking and rifle creates presence, maybe not wanting any issues from random growers.

TheGDog

WKR
If he was poaching, I don't think he'd have that particular pack on. Especially if it's as remote as you state. He'd need a bigger pack f'sho.

And I mean, that cartridge for an M1... the .30 Carbine. It wouldn't be used for small game. Not when there are soo many other better and quieter and cheaper and easier to conceal in a pack choices out there. And if he was trying to get big game... and it's soo remote, he'd logically need a lil bit bigger pack. And that cartridge though...

Yeah.. it'd work... but I don't think he could stretch it out very far at all, especially with irons. And if poaching was your deal... I'd have to figure they'd want either a suppressor, or a quieter round... or... a round that has more power than that particular .30 cal to better ensure the animal does go down in a single shot.

Wish I could get a better look at whatever leather works he's got attached to his pack there. Kinda looks like a belt with a knife sheath and a gun-bearer on it?? That he took off from himself and put on the bag, probably because of the heat it wouldn't let escape.

Would not surprise me if the dude was just scouting for his general season. Or just an avid hiker dude, that also knows the importance of keeping a weapon at the ready. Some ol' M1 like that... be real cheap to buy. Or maybe it's a hand-me-down in his family from a GrandPa from the 'Nam era.

I'm guessing high 20's in age. Possibly low 30's. You'll notice he shaves his legs and arms too. He doesn't strike me as into Bodybuilding/fitness per se... so I'm wondering if he's either more of a cardio gymrat.... or... lives nearer to the coast. With the longish hairstyle.. and the cleanish/newish look to the clothes... and the shaving of the arms and legs... he strikes me as some young dude that grew up in a comfortable or well-to-do home likely in some coastal community, probably surfs regularly.

Cause if he's got any kind of leather equipment that looks as new and as unused as that does... you ain't gon' be finding some broke-n-po mofo with that. At least not with that and then some shorts.

Also.. the shorts thing... presuming hunting/poaching was the goal. Would YOU want to mess with deboning a buck out wearing nothing but shorts? I always end up getting some blood transfer onto my pant legs and knees. If he is a poacher.... I'll say that he's not had any success yet.

Drenalin

WKR
Just imagine, given that this is just a guy and likely not a poacher, how many people are snooping in that area and not being picked up on your trail cam. I bet it's like Disney out there when you're not around.

Edub33

FNG
Just imagine, given that this is just a guy and likely not a poacher, how many people are snooping in that area and not being picked up on your trail cam. I bet it's like Disney out there when you're not around.
He does look pretty Goofy

OP
Moserkr

Moserkr

WKR
I want to know what camera you were using? 1.5yrs and 14k photos is impressive.
That was my thoughts also. My batteries dont last nearly that long.
Took a pic of it and posted above. Moultrie a-30 with safeway select batteries. Pretty sure some aliens came down and recharged it or it was hit by lightening. Dates were from May 2020 to now with 14,961 photos. This cam has never done that before. Was buried in snow for most of april 2021 and no animals from late nov- early may.

Azone

WKR
With what few details I can gather from the bag, a quick google search makes it look like it’s made by Ralph Lauren. Factor that with a surplus rifle and it really helps you fly under the radar. I mean if your gonna poach your not gonna go out dressed in boutique camo and something from gunwerks. Why draw attention to yourself? He could easily fit a boned out doe in that pack as well.
Now with the whole conspiracy theory outta the way it’s probably some dude who watched too much survivor man out on a hike and is afraid of cats and bears. I’ve come across some very interesting people out here in the land of fruits and nuts in the middle of no where.

Kelleyss

FNG
Pulled a trail cam last week that had been up for 1.5 years without being checked. With all the forest closures and its distance into the forest, it just wasnt possible to get to. Imagine my surprise that it had 14,961 photos and the cheap batteries were going strong lol. K… to the point.

Do you think this guy was poaching? Be judgemental. Backstory -

This is in California first off…
Miles from any trail, landmark, point of interest, lake or streams for fishing, parking lot, or campground. Its pretty deep in a remote part of a wilderness area.
Picture was captured roughly 2 weeks before the archery opener, on august 6th.
Time of day is 1pm.
To get there with that gear would mean he left early and his direction is heading back towards the only entry point possible. To access the area you have to know certain paths or its dangerous in the dark.
I have never seen another person, let alone a foot print in this area before.
All the bucks in velvet disappeared from my cameras after this event except for the smallest of forkies.

I get the feeling of something isnt right just looking at the gear, his build, the posture of how he was walking, and where I know he is cause its only a good place for one thing - hunting. Am I paranoid or what do you think?? This is the only evidence I got so I know its pretty thin. Just so odd to

Pulled a trail cam last week that had been up for 1.5 years without being checked. With all the forest closures and its distance into the forest, it just wasnt possible to get to. Imagine my surprise that it had 14,961 photos and the cheap batteries were going strong lol. K… to the point.

Do you think this guy was poaching? Be judgemental. Backstory -

This is in California first off…
Miles from any trail, landmark, point of interest, lake or streams for fishing, parking lot, or campground. Its pretty deep in a remote part of a wilderness area.
Picture was captured roughly 2 weeks before the archery opener, on august 6th.
Time of day is 1pm.
To get there with that gear would mean he left early and his direction is heading back towards the only entry point possible. To access the area you have to know certain paths or its dangerous in the dark.
I have never seen another person, let alone a foot print in this area before.
All the bucks in velvet disappeared from my cameras after this event except for the smallest of forkies.

I get the feeling of something isnt right just looking at the gear, his build, the posture of how he was walking, and where I know he is cause its only a good place for one thing - hunting. Am I paranoid or what do you think?? This is the only evidence I got so I know its pretty thin. Just so odd to see.

View attachment 333342
Judging by how strict California is with gun laws, it looks like he's using an old M1 from the family. He just looks like a hiker with cat protection, no reason to raise the alarms.

ceng

Lil-Rokslider
A couple of archery seasons ago I ran into a father and son doing some hiking and plinking in a wilderness area. I think they were gonna shoot some rocks and stuff way back in there. They were polite and looked like they were out to have a great time. They even asked where I was hunting as they didn't want to mess me up. I was headed up over a ridge into another basin so I said blaze away. I used to roam around with a .22 as a kid, back when you could just go out in the woods and not worry too much about things. I bet that's what this guy was doing, or he was exploring and worried about mountain lions or who knows what. It's always good to see people in CA who like, own and use guns for recreation. Seems as likely as anything that this gentleman was out to do something along those lines.

JNDEER

WKR
Winner!!!

Had some guys drive an atv into my groups empty camp and fire off rounds while we were hunting nearby. Its another reason why we prefer backpacking in now.
Had people do it early B zone before the season go blasting off rounds to get the deer spooked.
Hard to tell from the pic- does he have a pistol on the side of his pack?

shorts and rei shirt with a thin trimmed stash and in good hiking shape… maybe a retired Berkeley detective??

ODB

WKR
If one of you knuckleheads posts a pic from your trail cam of me dropping Baby Ruth’s I’m gonna get awfully pissy…