Poaching a Likely Scenario

Went to the grocery yesterday and the meat section was 100% empty. Put that together with people who have a lot of time on there hands and less money than they need. Put that together with LEO being told to limit patrols and intervention actions. If this goes on it will happen.

I am already hearing a few early AM and late PM shots near me and there are no seasons going on so someone is shooting something at odd hours.

My brother is a game warden and they have been told not to patrol or check licenses or anything, stay away from everyone it sounds like, he’s been looking for sheds old stands and scouting for me. They are just standing by and if state police need backup they respond.

mcseal2

WKR
I ranch for a living and beef is still being produced at the same levels, no ranchers are staying in the house due to the virus. As long as the rest of the supply chain keeps running I don't see any long term shortages of meat happening. Once all the panic buyers fill that little freezer above their fridge and the grocery stores adjust their stocking rate to reflect all the people eating at home all the sudden I think the shortages will improve dramatically. Think how many people that used to eat out and have their kids eat a meal or two at school each day are suddenly cooking all the time! It will take some adjusting, but I bet they figure the inventory increase out.

The only reason right now I see poaching become necessary is if a person can't afford to eat from the store. If it was between poaching and my family going hungry I know what I'd choose. Realistically though unless you live really close to game and are set up to handle it at home, it may be cheaper to buy than poach. I hope not much of that occurs, the game population can't handle it in a lot of places. If people need meat maybe they can kill predators, that would help game in a lot of places.

PablitoPescador

Lil-Rokslider
Another thing to consider is that rural areas for the most part aren’t being effected as severely. For example, as far as I know, here in Montana we have had 0 deaths and 0 hospitalizations from the virus. The areas that are getting hit hard are the metropolitan areas such as Seattle, LA and NYC where disease can spread more rapidly.

I don’t see states with low populations being as at-risk of a severe pandemic and I don’t think there’s a chance in hell states such as Wyoming, Montana or Idaho cancel their hunting seasons. State wildlife agencies know that animals are gonna hit the dirt whether they cancel the season or not and there’s no way they’re opting for the option where they don’t bring in revenue.

OP
L

lif

WKR
Lots of great thoughts on here. This thread wasn’t started from a panic standpoint. Just a conversational standpoint on the possibility of hunting being shut down to some extent and poaching becoming a real possibility for those who will need meat. I for one live in a rural area on 5 acres with plenty of game around if I need it. I hope all the optimists are correct and everything comes back to reality soon but the government and health officials have already gone to great extents to curb societies normal life and they are not talking about it coming back to reality anytime soon, other than Trump himself. Not trying to make this political just saying that all signs lead to more restrictions coming.

Okhotnik

WKR
This country would recover a lot faster without all uneeded hysteria

I was deployed to New Orleans during hurricane Katrina. Looting was terrible. The govt handed out $2000 debit cards to the victims who had no food and place to stay and instead using on essentials they were used to gamble, strip bars, drugs, vacations etc. Many people in our country will never be able to take of themselves and will always justify their bad behavior.

Last edited:

WCB

WKR
People are morons for the most part. no reason at all the meat shelves should be empty or at least stay that way. But for some reason they are.

10 miles on each side of me every grocery store has limited meat on their shelves. My local one looks to be stocked better than ever and I talked to the butcher and said he shows no signs of the end of his supply. He even offered to custom cut some for me. Been this way for a couple weeks now so the secret ust not have gotten out?

Of course the TP and Flour are empty otherwise you would have no idea anything was going on.

I think this is gonna go on awhile. Whitmer said we’re locked down til sometime in April. Personally I think they know most people would lose it if she said two months. I think we’ll get close to the next date and they’ll extend it.

Why don't people have at least 3 months emergency living expenses instead of vacation expenses? Little money into retirement and college education accounts. Plenty of money to eat out and kids eat out every day, new trucks, atv's , boats, new phones for the family, cars, vacations every year but no savings to survive a few months if laid off. Should be a wake up call but won't be.
there are unprepared people, but there are also 1000's living paycheck to paycheck, and there is also bad timing, like investing in your business currently because we are coming into the busy season. you seem to see things narrow mined, comparing everyone to your own situation, but life doesn't work that way...… nobody needs your responsibility pep talk. with a little digging, I bet I could come up with a long list of things you have F'd up in life..... keep trying....

There are plenty of horses here in NV to go around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and eastern Oregon! saw about 100 last spring on one prairie... good call.

i have a brother in law who is a wrangler at the blm wild horse corrals too, so i could fast track an adoption if things get dicey, haha

cmahoney

WKR
and eastern Oregon! saw about 100 last spring on one prairie... good call.

i have a brother in law who is a wrangler at the blm wild horse corrals too, so i could fast track an adoption if things get dicey, haha

How about burros? There are plenty of them in CA. Anyone know how they taste?

ahlgringo

WKR
Anybody ever eat llama?
I saw a couple on c-list “free to good home”

I have a sturdy house- think it qualifies?

Last edited:
How about burros? There are plenty of them in CA. Anyone know how they taste?

not sure, but judging by their name alone, sound tasty. I would rather go straight for the horses, too many of them on the mule deer winter range, and they are aggressive a-holes.

the burros seem more chill, but I have never seen them in big herds like the feral horses. I think a perfect scenario would be to use the burros to pack out the horse meat ;)

IF it were bad enough to do a complete lockdown and call off hunting, there would be no general elections taking place in Nov either.

All hell would break loose if certain politicians were allowed to stay in office without the chance of being kicked out...