Poaching a Likely Scenario

Why don't people have at least 3 months emergency living expenses instead of vacation expenses? Little money into retirement and college education accounts. Plenty of money to eat out and kids eat out every day, new trucks, atv's , boats, new phones for the family, cars, vacations every year but no savings to survive a few months if laid off. Should be a wake up call but won't be.

A lot of people lost a lot of that money put away for retirement and college. None of this, and I mean absolutely none of this, had to happen.

KurtR

WKR
I still don’t understand. We are not killing and processing cows any slower out here in the country. There is going to be so much freezer burnt hamburger it won’t even be funny. Here is a thought beef is way down go buy a cow have it butchered split it with a few people and you are good to go. Save about 40% vs buying at grocery store

cmahoney

WKR
not sure, but judging by their name alone, sound tasty. I would rather go straight for the horses, too many of them on the mule deer winter range, and they are aggressive a-holes.

the burros seem more chill, but I have never seen them in big herds like the feral horses. I think a perfect scenario would be to use the burros to pack out the horse meat ;)

Burro burritos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okhotnik

WKR
there are unprepared people, but there are also 1000's living paycheck to paycheck, and there is also bad timing, like investing in your business currently because we are coming into the busy season. you seem to see things narrow mined, comparing everyone to your own situation, but life doesn't work that way...… nobody needs your responsibility pep talk. with a little digging, I bet I could come up with a long list of things you have F'd up in life..... keep trying....

Ive lived and worked overseas in quite few third world poverty stricken countries and did volunteer work with UNHCR in refugee camps in Kenya, Syria Chechnya and Bosnia so have a pretty decent Perspective on true suffering unlike your tiny little world. My Grandparents came here as refugees and heard many stories what real suffering is.
I worked in restaurants and grocery stores when I was in school and I was always shocked how food is thrown out and wasted every day and still is. Take a look at the dumpsters behind grocery stores and restaurants and see all the good food thrown out.

Carry on with your beta hysteria and selfrighteous rant

Last edited:
Ive lived and worked overseas in quite few third world poverty stricken countries and did volunteer work with UNHCR in refugee camps in Kenya, Syria Chechnya and Bosnia so have a pretty decent Perspective on true suffering unlike your tiny little world. My Grandparents came here as refugees and heard many stories what real suffering is.
I worked in restaurants and grocery stores when I was in school and I was always shocked how food is thrown out and wasted every day and still is. Take a look at the dumpsters behind grocery stores and restaurants and see all the good food thrown out.

Carry on with your beta hysteria and selfrighteous rant
what does that have to do with others being prepared? I missed the relation....

I was more commenting on your high horse, and you being on it stating what others should be doing.

I think this whole scenario will be a lesson learned for every entity, still, many won't be totally prepared in the future, luck, timing, and lifestyles won't allow it for everyone, whether you think it should or not. you and I probably won't see eye to eye on this, which is fine, I will let you have the last word, I think I would rather use my time looking at the "coronavirus memes" thread.

i have no reason to argue with you, i have plenty of meat in the freezer, not from prepping, just default.... not everyone hunts and fishes for fun, and fishes for work

Beendare

WKR
IMG_3771.JPG

I hunted a Northern NM Elk unit on the archery opener last year and found a couple carcasses that were a week old not far off the road. I talked to F&G and they said yes there is some poaching going on. That area is very economically depressed.

Part of me can't blame a guy for putting food on his families table....its not like they are trophy hunting.

Its the couple guys we talked to that had their entire camps stolen that chaps my hide. Thats not Economically depressed...thats Meth heads.

_______

I was having this conversation with a buddy two weeks ago, I told him they would never close down hunting. Well I might be eating crow...

F91B03AF-19D7-4D58-8434-4D744770C841.png
606A08BB-B42F-48BC-B950-D02EBDBD786C.jpeg

BuckSnort

WKR
First WA closing fishing and now today closure of campgrounds in the Sierra Nat Forest... It's almost like they are testing us just to see what they can get away with..

Reactions: lif

jmez

WKR
If it comes to hunting for sustenance better get in early. Game would be gone in a month.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Yeah if this shutdown here(Washington) pushes into April I guarantee turkey and whatever else overlaps will be closed.

I was surprised they shut down fishing and all access to state owned lands... if your state is late to the game I wouldn’t be surprised to see the same thing happen there.

Is it poaching if the animal was shot for food and the season would normally be open?

Could certainly go different ways.. Say MT shut down hunting season. A resident shooting a meal buck muley in SE MT is a lot different than the same guy shooting a 190” bighorn in the breaks “for food”.

ColoradoV

WKR
Man I too am wondering if they will effectively close big game hunting here in Colorado as well. The backcountry is already closed or closing in more places everyday and the ones closed are totally closed to anybody but locals with a in county residence on DL and the trend is continuing. Good to see they are at least letting us locals get out!

Last week I would have said no way in hell they will close the big game seasons here in Colorado but after what I am hearing getting kicked around I would say unless this is totally under control by August I just dont see Colorado openly inviting folks (especially if they are gasp hunters) from all over the country to invade our small towns and no doubt bring in more of the virus with them.

Colorado is already closing the state to summer tourism and that is a wwwwwaaaaayyyy bigger deal than closing hunting seasons for a year. The CPW closed a lot of the parking lots, trailheads, and bathrooms yesterday..

Very real and something to think about for sure..

fatlander

WKR
Money talks. The loss of money some states would incur is why there will be hunting seasons. There’s a lot of things backwards about my state, but thank God our Dept. of Game and Fish is actively encouraging hunting and fishing right now.

brsnow

WKR
Money talks. The loss of money some states would incur is why there will be hunting seasons. There’s a lot of things backwards about my state, but thank God our Dept. of Game and Fish is actively encouraging hunting and fishing right now.

states closed down ski season,the money in the form of government relief may talk, but the pattern starts as spend time in the outdoors, but as they get crowded, they then shut them down. The smaller towns do not want to invite others into their communities now either. Two weeks ago were encouraged in CO as well to get outside...

ColoradoV

WKR
There is is way more $$$$ That comes into Colorado from tourism in 2 weeks than all the hunting related impacts over a year...

The state is effectively closed to tourism and will be for a couple months.

It is bigger than just hunting now..