Poaching a Likely Scenario

CaliforniaMuley209

Lil-Rokslider
A MONTANA guide told me non resident applications are down 41 percent because of everything going on. Not sure about other states. But I look at it as more opportunity! Hahaha

fatlander

WKR

Hurry, there’s only 4 left in stock.

They’re not going to close down hunting seasons unless it’s actually warranted at the time.

Closing down skiing is warranted. Thousands of people going up the same lift, down the same hill, and walking into the same shop. All the while a global pandemic is in its infancy.

If this thing isn’t dead and the infected rate and death toll is still climbing by hunting season, having a season or not will be the least of our worries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ColoradoV

WKR
🤦🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️ If I had a nickel for every “flat lander” who did not know the difference between the backcountry and a ski area. I would explain it to ya but yea... 😂😂😆👍

fatlander

WKR
Those lifts see more asses each day than a pilot truck stop.

I never said anything about the back country.

MtnOyster

WKR
It’s time to start thinking about the possibility of hunting being greatly effected by this virus. There are many angles to consider if hunting is shut down at all this fall. Can the states afford to lose the revenue made from hunting tags and licenses? If it is shut down how bad will the poaching get? Some depend on that meat to eat throughout the year. What’s everyone’s thoughts on the likeliness at this point that a good portion of our hunting in the west is shut down this fall? And how bad do you think the poaching gets? And if we can’t get our tags from the states do you even consider it poaching if a guy is just out trying to get food for his family for the year?
If this were to happen, there are some western states for sure that would be crippled financially, sure the residents license and fees would sting a little but what they make off non-residents would literally bring some of those states to their knees and most of you know the states we’re talking about.

trazerr

Lil-Rokslider
So far spring beer is still a go in Oregon. Although that could change in a flash.

Attachments

• 1B86E789-E2A9-404B-9DD8-B2FEFD684D42.png
    1B86E789-E2A9-404B-9DD8-B2FEFD684D42.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 10
So far spring beer is still a go in Oregon. Although that could change in a flash.
it would make very little sense to close spring bear.... uncertain times for sure, but I think they'll leave hunting alone..... if fall hunts are closed, it wouldn't matter because we would have to all be zombies for it to last that long.

crazy how many people are hiking around here, looks like rifle elk season on the nice afternoons.... way more traffic at gates than i have ever seen that's not rifle hunting related.... not several rigs at gates or anything, but many of them have a rig parked. that could be a factor bear hunting, but i have plenty of backup spots any given day i guess.

my highest prospect area shouldn't have much hiking traffic, it's almost 1300' of elevation gain in under 2 miles, then another mile to get into the top to glass. it's been several years since I drew this tag, but back then there was a lot of bear activity in that canyon, and it's better habitat now. there is a big boar that calls it home, i'm almost positive

tdot

WKR
Could certainly go different ways.. Say MT shut down hunting season. A resident shooting a meal buck muley in SE MT is a lot different than the same guy shooting a 190” bighorn in the breaks “for food”.

If it's open season on the animal and the animal was a legal animal. Is it different then any other year? I'm not referring to Draw tag animal/hunts. Just open season.

And to be honest, I dont have a strong opinion one way or another. I generally make the mistake that people are decent and will make decent choices. Judging from the gut shot Ram they found on one of the highways here this week. I'm wrong with that assumption.

Last edited:
The more I think about it the more I realize that other states are likely weeks/months behind WA as far as closures go if this continues going the route it’s going.

Nothing wrong with staying optimistic, but I’d keep in mind that hunts may continue to get cancelled as this thing blows up and spreads.

I never thought I’d praise our states leadership but I’d say they’re pretty much on top of what’s going on - you look at our numbers and I figured we’d be a lot higher when it comes to cases. Problem is as soon as they loosen the reins that numbers going to jump up since there’s no cure or vaccine. Just food for thought.

Sled

WKR
If poaching is required for people to eat we will all have bigger problems than people poaching.

anybody ever watched "the purge"? poaching will be the least of your worries.

hopefully optimistic but if people are hunting for food in new york city then shit just got real.

brsnow

WKR

They’re not going to close down hunting seasons unless it’s actually warranted at the time.

Closing down skiing is warranted. Thousands of people going up the same lift, down the same hill, and walking into the same shop. All the while a global pandemic is in its infancy.

If this thing isn’t dead and the infected rate and death toll is still climbing by hunting season, having a season or not will be the least of our worries.

more of the conce
anybody ever watched "the purge"? poaching will be the least of your worries.

hopefully optimistic but if people are hunting for food in new york city then shit just got real.

Good amount of game in NYC, standard deer and such plus all the animals/birds that escape the markets.

fmyth

WKR

The San Carlos Indian Reservation here in AZ just shut down to non tribal members. Lots of people here in AZ hunt and fish on the Res. Hunters holding spring turkey tags were told sorry, no hunting, no refunds. I have a cow elk tag for the res in Nov. I regret applying for the tag now.

MTimberN

FNG
If hunting and fishing are closed I better get a refund on my license &tags and if the grocery stores shutdown, there's a moose in my backyard that looks pretty tasty :LOL:

brsnow

WKR
If hunting and fishing are closed I better get a refund on my license &tags and if the grocery stores shutdown, there's a moose in my backyard that looks pretty tasty :LOL:

no refund on ski passes , far more $$ than tags

ColoradoV

WKR
Something of note as it is a similar permit process - is that lots of Rivers are CLOSED to recreation and more are closing each day.

Some of the ones of note they closed that you put in for just about like western hunting are Middle and Main Fork of the Salmon, Salt in Az, Dinosaur on the Co/ut boarder, all the sections around Moab in Canyon lands and oh yea a little river trip called the Grand Canyon is also closed among many others....

These are permits some folks wait years to get and again put in for just like hunters do for tags..

Most of these closures look like will span most of the early summer or into July.... Beginning to look more and more like we might be lucky to have a archery season here in Colorado..

fatlander

WKR
The San Carlos Indian Reservation here in AZ just shut down to non tribal members. Lots of people here in AZ hunt and fish on the Res. Hunters holding spring turkey tags were told sorry, no hunting, no refunds. I have a cow elk tag for the res in Nov. I regret applying for the tag now.

You’ll be able to hunt in September. That’s what this thread is about and that’s the context I’m speaking in.

I’ll say this again. . . If this virus hasn’t peaked and well on the way out by then, fall hunting season will be the least of anyone’s worries.