Poaching a Likely Scenario

lif

WKR
It’s time to start thinking about the possibility of hunting being greatly effected by this virus. There are many angles to consider if hunting is shut down at all this fall. Can the states afford to lose the revenue made from hunting tags and licenses? If it is shut down how bad will the poaching get? Some depend on that meat to eat throughout the year. What’s everyone’s thoughts on the likeliness at this point that a good portion of our hunting in the west is shut down this fall? And how bad do you think the poaching gets? And if we can’t get our tags from the states do you even consider it poaching if a guy is just out trying to get food for his family for the year?

mmcdonough

Lil-Rokslider
I'm skeptical this would happen but who knows at this point. You have think that local economies would be the hardest hit as well in those cases. If it happens I could definitely see people poaching for meat. Especially if there is a small chance of beef shortages or stores continue to struggle to stock shelves. There is already rumors in Minnesota of canceling the Walleye opener in May, that's a HUGE deal. I'd be lying if I said I haven't already been eyeing up the local whitetail herds up here in Northern MN too. Let's just call it the doomsday scenario and hope it doesn't happen, but if it does, I'll be well prepared to sustain my family!

If Grocery stores shut down I guarantee you people will poach here in northern PA. I honestly don’t blame them, family has to eat.

why would hunting be shut down? we'll be fine guys..... this can only go on so long, life has to go on, i don't think business as usual is very far into our future.

we will have to get back to normal life soon or the virus will be the least of our worries..... this is a speed bump in life, not a wall

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Shutting down hunting wouldn't make any sense at all, even if we're all supposed to be socially distancing. What better way to distance than go hunting. Even if I'm not hunting, I'll still be in elk country come September regardless, and most likely also on the river fishing. Septembers were made for hunting and flyfishing.

I’ve seen this topic floated around multiple groups. How many right now can honestly say their local grocery store is nearly out of food and won’t be getting a re-supply?

It almost seems like there’s a group of people that have been waiting for the opportunity to not purchase tags and this viral outbreak is all the reason they’ve needed.

I’d be curious to know how many people actually sustain themselves year round purely on wild game meat that they harvest.

I also agree with the person who said if it comes to people poaching to eat and survive then we’ve got bigger problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
L

lif

WKR
I a
I’ve seen this topic floated around multiple groups. How many right now can honestly say their local grocery store is nearly out of food and won’t be getting a re-supply?

It almost seems like there’s a group of people that have been waiting for the opportunity to not purchase tags and this viral outbreak is all the reason they’ve needed.

I’d be curious to know how many people actually sustain themselves year round purely on wild game meat that they harvest.

I also agree with the person who said if it comes to people poaching to eat and survive then we’ve got bigger problems.

I actually eat around 50% game meat throughout the year. The issue wouldn’t be grocery stores running out of food, it would be folks without jobs or money, after this shit ends, to go to the grocery store. I hope they don’t close down hunting and life returns to normal soon, but the reaction on the planet right now puts lots of doubt in that happening. Nobody two weeks ago would have thought it would be the way it is currently. I’m not trying to play Debbie Downer, just thinking about the possibility of big brother shutting down our hunting for the year. And I’m guessing if that happens many will still get their meat.

Rich M

WKR
I believe we'll hunting in the fall, just how many folks are putting in for $$$$ tags is the question. Might be a good time to apply for those tough to get tags.

Negative on the poaching of big game.
Don't see big brother shutting down hunting or the mass of folks running to the woods to poach either. The FL guys are turkey hunting right now.

Those who are wanting to poach might have ulterior motives or just a desire to go rouge. I don't really care either way.

My plan is to get pref points in 2 states and use one of those for 2021. I'm also applying for quota hunts around home - If I don't get one of those hunts, will be fishing this fall.

KurtR

WKR
I a

I actually eat around 50% game meat throughout the year. The issue wouldn’t be grocery stores running out of food, it would be folks without jobs or money, after this shit ends, to go to the grocery store. I hope they don’t close down hunting and life returns to normal soon, but the reaction on the planet right now puts lots of doubt in that happening. Nobody two weeks ago would have thought it would be the way it is currently. I’m not trying to play Debbie Downer, just thinking about the possibility of big brother shutting down our hunting for the year. And I’m guessing if that happens many will still get their meat.

Then they would be on ebt and buy all the beef they want. My dad asked the butcher how much ground beef he had on hand. 3000 pounds and still grinding.

The most likely effect that I can see at this point is that every states number of out of state hunters will decrease as will the number of hunters—resident or non-resident—that hunt during the week.

People’s savings accounts and vacation balances are going to be gutted. A lot of people don’t have extra vacation or savings to absorb something like this.

Rob5589

WKR
can't happen? just did in New Zealand.
imagine complete lockdown with 48hrs notice, 1 week before the elk/deer rut.
NZ is the size of Colorado, much easier to control than the entire US.

We are almost to April with most hunting seasons beginning in August. There is plenty of time for things to happen and improve. The temporary shut down is to contain, not eliminate, C19. Eventually everything will get back to normal and C19 will be another virus we'll have to deal with.

The shut down in Idaho doesn't keep you locked inside, you can still go outdoors close to home for excercise and what not, just need to be 5ft apart. Close is a relative term and I'm 20 min from the National Forest.

other than eating out once in awhile, all we eat is fish and game that i kill (though my wife killed her first buck and bull last year)

it's certainly not a necessity, we would be fine without it, but it's a good byproduct of what i like to do. it's been that way in our household for a lot of years. there are a few out there that don't buy any meat..... i would be pretty bummed if we had to buy a half of beef some year, but it's unlikely now that my wife has gained interest in hunting recently.

Scottyboy

WKR
I'm skeptical this would happen but who knows at this point. You have think that local economies would be the hardest hit as well in those cases. If it happens I could definitely see people poaching for meat. Especially if there is a small chance of beef shortages or stores continue to struggle to stock shelves. There is already rumors in Minnesota of canceling the Walleye opener in May, that's a HUGE deal. I'd be lying if I said I haven't already been eyeing up the local whitetail herds up here in Northern MN too. Let's just call it the doomsday scenario and hope it doesn't happen, but if it does, I'll be well prepared to sustain my family!

same. was up north last week...
3CDE460E-AFC1-4B7A-9529-9E1B852A9DD3.jpeg

brsnow

WKR
The tag drawing and resources for allocating of tags could be the issue. Are there people or state employees actually working on that currently vs be diverted to other areas or home would be my question.