Poaching Fishing/Hunting

Bolt

Lil-Rokslider
So I have some friends in the fish guiding industry, trout. They are seeing a 10x increase in fish poaching this year, cast nets out of season "delayed harvest" over harvest by individuals and the list goes on. We have all talked separately and without me leading the conversation their conclusions are all the same. Less money to spend at the grocery because of inflation, gas, and the general dumpster fire we are all seeing. Now I don't have any data, subjective or not that translates this to hunting but I'm guessing we are going to see it.
As a steward of resources this really concerns me, if people are poaching the stock truck as they drop fish off, you know their moral compass isn't going to point them any different when it comes to big game. I am curious if anyone is hearing anything similar and how we as a community get ahead of this. I remember my grandfather telling me stories of the great depression and they were forced to hunt trap outside of any established season to feed the family. There are a lot more people in the US now than the 20s and our natural resources won't last long if the same circumstances present themselves.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Interesting thought. I know it happens here locally in some of our more remote communities even with our very liberal subsistence bag and possession limits. And honestly I don’t have a huge problem with it for folks that truly have the need. I’ve also lived through where my dad and I going fishing is what kept the family fed. Completely legal mind you. But to this day my dad still won’t eat trout after those lean financial years.

Rich M

WKR
Let's consider the collapse of society and folks shooting all the deer, elk, etc.

Why would it matter? - your food stocks are down, so you shoot a deer, maybe share some with the neighbor (barter for something like rice or mashed potatoes to go with the meat). What's wrong with that?
If it really comes down to folks obliterating the available wildlife to survive, hunting & stewardship will be the last thing on our minds.

Yoder

WKR
Where I live, all stocked trout die anyway. I think it's funny when people trash you on Youtube for not doing a correct release on an invasive species, that was delivered in a truck, that's going to die in two months. If things get really bad wildlife will be the first to go. It happened during the Great Depression, it would happen again. If people are hungry they are going to kill stuff. It would be a real tragedy. It's one of the many great things we have in this country.

JBrown1

Lil-Rokslider
Let's consider the collapse of society and folks shooting all the deer, elk, etc.

Why would it matter? - your food stocks are down, so you shoot a deer, maybe share some with the neighbor (barter for something like rice or mashed potatoes to go with the meat). What's wrong with that?
If it really comes down to folks obliterating the available wildlife to survive, hunting & stewardship will be the last thing on our minds.
The “problem” is that we’re not talking about some theoretical apocalypse and the damage that would do to wildlife.

The original post is about the possibility of poaching due to the current economic situation.

FLATHEAD

WKR
I'm not a poacher but I have been thinking I need to
get off my butt and start filling my freezer with fish.
Instead I've been planting more in the garden.

Rich M

WKR
The “problem” is that we’re not talking about some theoretical apocalypse and the damage that would do to wildlife.

The original post is about the possibility of poaching due to the current economic situation.
Ok.

Most folks aren’t gonna risk it for $50 or $100. You guys make it seem like an economic meltdown.

Folks will shoot critters if there is a real meltdown. We’ve got a ways to go. We’re not even in a bear market or a recession yet.

Did you live thru Jimmy Carter? If you did, then you have a frame of reference. If not, we aren’t there yet. The fish poaching is cause folks are tired of rules that only some people have to follow.

JBrown1

Lil-Rokslider
Rich M,

I wasn’t arguing the point, I was clarifying the idea that is being discussed.

I did live through Carter, but I was too young to be affected. And I agree with you that we have a long way to go before it gets that bad. Heck, my liberal friends on FB are posting all kinds of stats that show that the economy is breaking records and Biden is and genius....

I’m more inclined to believe that “hungry poachers” are going to be a problem than I am to believe that the economy is in great shape. But not by much.

Cornhusker

Lil-Rokslider
Small sample size of fishing poachers. Poachers are criminals they aren't doing it for food even if they say they are. There is so much work right now anyone that wants a job has one the criminal element whether it's poachers or thieves always uses the excuse that they are doing it to feed the family, it's just B.S. call it what it is.

Rich M

WKR
Rich M,

I wasn’t arguing the point, I was clarifying the idea that is being discussed.

I did live through Carter, but I was too young to be affected. And I agree with you that we have a long way to go before it gets that bad. Heck, my liberal friends on FB are posting all kinds of stats that show that the economy is breaking records and Biden is and genius....

I’m more inclined to believe that “hungry poachers” are going to be a problem than I am to believe that the economy is in great shape. But not by much.
Sorry - I do agree to a point. Hard to escape the constant barrage of "information" - it is stressful sometimes.

Anyway, I grew up among poachers, they are opportunists and in my experience, will do so no matter what the conditions. My dad took those opportunities to teach me that what that guy did was wrong, that it is not worth the risk or repercussions. One that sticks in my memory was watching a guy shooting a doe WT in July. My dad told me that there was a fawn out there who was gonna starve to death because of it. I might have been 8 yo. That was a lifetime ago but is a vivid memory.

The poachers I know and have known have always poached.

dtrkyman

WKR
At 5 dollars a gallon you better take a lot of fish to offset the amount it cost you in fuel to get anywhere there are fish!

Rural poaching is an issue here and everywhere I believe, but it may get worse! Don't worry the libs and Dems will give em money to "live" They need people to think they are necessary!

I think an issue during the depression was a lack of meat coupled with an absence of freezers. Many people I have talked to from that period talked about canning meat or 'eating on the peel' or cutting meat off of hanging carasses.

My only experience with serious poachers was from a co-worker when I was in college and working at the local sawmill. He talked about shooting deer at night and their procedure to avoid getting caught. It had nothing to do with food and was more of a point of entertainment.

He was not known as a hunter. He didn't need the meat. It was obviously just something to do for entertainment. As far as I remember, he equated it as entertainment with beer.

He is the only one I ever encountered like that and that was over 50 years.

I remember my grandfather telling me stories of the great depression and they were forced to hunt trap outside of any established season to feed the family. There are a lot more people in the US now than the 20s and our natural resources won't last long if the same circumstances present themselves.

I would submit the population would self govern in the event those same circumstances present themselves today. You will see people die every day by the thousands...