Pocket rocket 2 stove review?

Tbuckus

WKR
Looking at upgrading my 30+ year old backpacking stove and really like the lightweight and compactness of this little guy.
Does anyone have one?

I love my micro rocket. I can only imagine this is an improved version of that.
i don't have too much problem with my small pot on my micro rocket, so the added pot stability would make this thing a winner.
edit. i only use my micro rocket for trips where I am only boiling water...if i want to try and "cook" (back country pancakes, yes thats a thing) I take my dragonfly.

Bynumlife

Lil-Rokslider
I just sold mine after 15 years of use. They are great little stoves but I went to a JetBoil. After last season using my buddy's JetBoil, they are fast and more compact. We'll see how I like it after this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brad@Argali

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Looking at upgrading my 30+ year old backpacking stove and really like the lightweight and compactness of this little guy.
Does anyone have one?

I have one and it's a great little stove. Lighter than the older version and folds up slightly more compact than the previous model.

Tsnider

WKR
i have been using one this year and its fantastic. it folds up super small and weighs nothing. id like to try a reactor or a system like that at some point, but honestly the weight of a DIY kit cant be beat.

its boil times a true to claimed numbers, and the control range is nice. its an msr so you really cant go wrong. i think you will be completely satisfied with it.

Flashmo

FNG
Just gave mine a one week test drive.

Boiled water fine, but I do not eat dehydrated meals...I cook, though relatively simple.

Very good flame adjustability. Can do a very low simmer, as long as you are using a wind screen.

This one is a keeper.

Squirrels

WKR
nice to hear as mine should be here today, coupled with a toaks 600ml titanium pot i will be shedding about 7 to 8 ounces over the jetboil

aggieland

WKR
Ordered one as well, should arrive Monday.. My jetboil got somewhat melted when trying to cook Caribou meat in a jetboil pan a few yrs back. it still works but won't fit back inside its cup/pot..

Ordered one as well, should arrive Monday.. My jetboil got somewhat melted when trying to cook Caribou meat in a jetboil pan a few yrs back. it still works but won't fit back inside its cup/pot..

Use the Olicamp XTS pot in combination with the Pocket Rocket for unbelievable boil times. Kicks the crap out of a jetboil. Under 1 minute in almost all situations. It may be a little heavier being aluminum, but you get that weight back on fuel.

OP
T

Tbuckus

WKR
Good to hear the positive reviews.
Time to drop hints to the kids for a Father's Day gift.

Next is to upgrade to a ti pot. Recommendations?

Squirrels

WKR
Use the Olicamp XTS pot in combination with the Pocket Rocket for unbelievable boil times. Kicks the crap out of a jetboil. Under 1 minute in almost all situations. It may be a little heavier being aluminum, but you get that weight back on fuel.

I just got a Toaks titanium pot. May send it back and get olicamp. 4 oz extra weight but boil time is important

Last edited:
I am intrigued. Anyone ever had issues finding canisters? I have used a whisperlite for a long time and would be interested in something smaller.

I just got a Toaks titanium pot. May send it back and get olicamp. 4 oz extra weight but boil time is important

The lid is actually quite heavy being made of silicone, so you could probably get some if not all of those 4oz back. If you do choose to use the factory lid be careful as when the water starts boiling it will squirt out the hole with fairly significant force and can burn your arm. I have also had issues with it boiling so violently that it will tip over, so you pretty much have to be right on it when it starts.

I am intrigued. Anyone ever had issues finding canisters? I have used a whisperlite for a long time and would be interested in something smaller.

The only issue is if you are going to be flying it's a PITA to have to go buy some after you get where you're going, whereas some of the multi-fuel stoves can just run off diesel if you had to. REI, Cabela's and pretty much any sporting goods stores that sell the stoves will have the canisters. There is also an adapter that allows you to connect canister stoves to those bigger green propane bottles which would increase availability as a last resort (you probably would want to avoid bringing those backpacking).

Same setup here. Great combo. I do have a Snow Peak Ti Boiler but the Olicamp boils way faster and is big enough to cook in if necessary. The PR2 replaces my nearly 20 year old Coleman Peak 1 Canister stove and is a worthy upgrade. The flame pattern on the PR2 is nice and tight and fits perfectly in the recessed area of the XTS with no wasted flames/heat shooting up the sides of the pot.

EsteemGrinders

Lil-Rokslider

This does not match my findings. For me my Jet boil mini mo was still faster by 25% and lighter. That said the mini mo and newer jet boils are better than the older ones. My buddy brought his older jetboil over the weekend and it was painful to use.

Squirrels

WKR
Anyone have an opinion on the Olicamp XTS vs the Optimus Terra HE weekend .95L. Looking at these two for my Pocket Rocket 2. They seem similar in design but the Optimus had the fry pan lid and is nonstick, weighs 3 more ounces but you are gaining the fry pan lid. They are relatively the same price. There is a new and previous version of the Optimus but I don't know what the new model gets you for the new price.

Squirrels

WKR
My Pocket Rocket 2 arrived. I tested boil time with the Toaks 600ml Titanium pot. Right around 1'30" to 1'45" on boil time. Not to bad, think I will just keep the pot for the weight savings. An HE pot with fins would probably get me to just over a minute but a pot like that will weigh as much as my whole setup is now. I scaled my pot, stove with case, spoon, and the stuff sack I made for it all at just under 8 oz.