Podcast/reviews on shelter stove brands?

Vandy321

WKR
Anybody know of a good podcast episode that talks stoves. Very limited reviews/comparison threads, I'm assuming because most folks simply just own one.

Looking at the Seek Outside Box stove, the kifaru smith cylinder, lite outdoors cylinder and the Ti Goat wifi. Would like to see them all in their stuff sack, see which one packs the best for my needs, real world weights, ease of setup in below freezing temps/limited finger dexterity, reviews of doors/vents, dislikes like rattling doors, no dampers etc.

Anybody have an episode they can send me?

Napperm4

WKR
I think the reason there aren’t many or any podcasts / reviews is because there’s not that much to discuss on them.

They’re all proven to draft and burn wood.

Plenty of reviews on YouTube that I’ve seen over the years but aside from that info on the websites is usually enough.

They’re all pretty much the same material, the difference in the box stove models being the dampers and doors. Sizes are pretty much as listed.

The cylinder stoves are a couple different legs, some use a metal twist tie, others use rings, one the door drops down the other it hinges open.

I have a lite outdoors 12” stove. Packs down to nothing. The body and chimney roll together into a 1.5” x 12” tube with the clamping bars inside the tube. The ends, legs and rings are in an 8” x 1” package. Weighs in just under 2 lbs with a 6’ chimney

• Banned
OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
I agree, individually the specs are easy to find, however I think you are oversimplifying it by saying they all burn wood and draft....All guns shoot, and all knifes cut, but that doesnt mean there arent differences in them worth of consideration. There are folks willing and who have gotten into the pros/cons of a $30 replacement blade hunting knife vs another. I'm sure someone has done it for $300+ stoves.

I have compared the specs on all of them. Limited data on how small they all pack down. Also limited info on the little details that may make a person like/dislike one particular stove over another, have read some complains about install of some chimneys into cylinder stove, same goes for doors, how legs fit and adjust and sit in soft ground or snow, etc. Would be good to find a review that compared multiple brands against each other.

Last edited:

sneaky

"DADDY"
What shelter are you wanting to put one in? Probably the biggest reason is cost and variability of shelter sizes and types is why you don't see a lot of side by side reviews. You honestly think you'll get an unbiased review from a stove builder comparing their stove to other companies? Hard for one guy to buy a couple thousand dollars worth of ti stoves to do a comparison. Most important things guys look at are firebox volume, weight, flat top or cylinder. Dampers come on all of them.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Banned
OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
Everybody seems to think they are all the same, its just a stove, pick the size you want and roll. Until you dig and find reviews like this (link below). It's going in a Sawtooth. I think I've settled on the medium TI Goat Wifi after doing my homework.

I wouldnt expect a manufacturere to give an unbiased review of a stove, but an individual like Randy or someone who may be sent stuff by multiple companies may be able to provide honest feedback.

All stoves are apparently not created equal. Caught this last minute, I was honestly about to purchase this stove until I saw this.

https://www.rokslide.com/forums/thr...e-w-baffle-problems.91970/page-2#post-1137317

sneaky

"DADDY"
Everybody seems to think they are all the same, its just a stove, pick the size you want and roll. Until you dig and find reviews like this (link below). It's going in a Sawtooth. I think I've settled on the medium TI Goat Wifi after doing my homework.

I wouldnt expect a manufacturere to give an unbiased review of a stove, but an individual like Randy or someone who may be sent stuff by multiple companies may be able to provide honest feedback.

All stoves are apparently not created equal. Caught this last minute, I was honestly about to purchase this stove until I saw this.

https://www.rokslide.com/forums/thr...e-w-baffle-problems.91970/page-2#post-1137317
For every person that says they have that issue with the LO stove, 10 others say it's never happened to them. If you dig enough you can find something negative on all of them. Lots of times it's buyer's remorse. They pay that much money for something which is relatively simple, but expensive because of the material, and they expect it to run flawlessly. Not always the case. Different environmental conditions are going to have an effect on how the stove burns, wood type used, user's experience level. All of that comes into play. These stoves are all made by cottage manufacturers so most of them don't have a lot of extras laying around to send out to test. I would bet money on this though: in any test, the one that holds the most wood, or bigger pieces of wood, will burn longer than the others.

• Banned
OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
I'll keep digging for a negative review on the wifi stove...so far I cant find one. And so far the LO is the only stove I'm considering/reviewing that folks were overly concerned about it backing up and or throwing sparks all over the tent.

Almost every single company in the hunting/fishing industry will get demo products out to be reviewed by guides. Until the stove manufacturers do this, all we're left with is taking reviews from forum members who own a stove. I could easily use that same arguement you just laid out for each and every piece of gear... "some love it, some hate it, it's all subjective". Not a post to debate stoves, intent of this thread was simply asking if anyone has stumbled upon a podcast reviewing stoves.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I'll help you out here. The one thing guys complain about on the wifi stove is it runs full blast for the most part since you can't change the airflow through the vent holes in the front of the stove. Any adjustments you make to it come from the damper. Move the damper too much and it'll spit and pop just like the LO will. You can make all of them do that. The reason you see more threads on LO stoves are because there are more guys using them than a lot of these others. Personally, I run a Ruta Locura stove, made by the same guys from Ti Goat.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Pretty much they all suck if you try and use the damper. I think most new users think they are like a conventional wood stove like you'd use in a wall tent and will burn for long durations when in reality they are more like a fire in your shelter where the smoke (hopefully) exits out of a pipe

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Pretty much they all suck if you try and use the damper. I think most new users think they are like a conventional wood stove like you'd use in a wall tent and will burn for long durations when in reality they are more like a fire in your shelter where the smoke (hopefully) exits out of a pipe

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
Pretty much. A self contained fire pit is what they really are.

OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
Based on that, is the no damper on the Smith cylinder not a factor? Able to control the burn through the door vents well enough?

sneaky

"DADDY"
I would say yes. Just make sure you use a spark arrestor to keep embers off your shelter and you should be good. The wifi will be easier to boil water and heat stuff up on, if you decide to use it for that.

Bobbyboe

WKR
For every person that says they have that issue with the LO stove, 10 others say it's never happened to them. If you dig enough you can find something negative on all of them. Lots of times it's buyer's remorse. They pay that much money for something which is relatively simple, but expensive because of the material, and they expect it to run flawlessly. Not always the case. Different environmental conditions are going to have an effect on how the stove burns, wood type used, user's experience level. All of that comes into play. These stoves are all made by cottage manufacturers so most of them don't have a lot of extras laying around to send out to test. I would bet money on this though: in any test, the one that holds the most wood, or bigger pieces of wood, will burn longer than the others.

The lite outdoors brand hands down has the most negative reviews. They have a known draw and blow back issue, just look at the reviews. I've never heard of blow back or back fire issues with other brands. SO in a traditional box design is the way to go. I've owned both. I was lagitamitly concerned about starting my tent on fire with the lite outdoor stove.

sneaky

"DADDY"
The lite outdoors brand hands down has the most negative reviews. They have a known draw and blow back issue, just look at the reviews. I've never heard of blow back or back fire issues with other brands. SO in a traditional box design is the way to go. I've owned both. I was lagitamitly concerned about starting my tent on fire with the lite outdoor stove.
Every stove I've ever used has had draw issues and blow back at one point or another. If you would reread my response earlier, you are going to see more reviews on the LO stoves because there's probably 5 times as many of them in use as any other brand. There's way more at play than the stove itself, some guys just suck at building fires, that's just part of it. Get a good HOT burn going to start the draw before fiddling with the damper and vent on the door. A little breeze helps with the draw, wet or green wood is an issue. Too many people blame the stove for what is most likely user error. Same with any piece of equipment there's a learning curve. These aren't just a "put together oh man I've got a hot tent all night" kind of thing, but a lot of guys are expecting that.

*zap*

WKR
I think that with anything different people use...….the exact applications, user expectations, user experience and environment can jade any 'review' way too much.

That said, I don't know chit about these type of stoves and I am pretty sure the so medium is what I will be getting here pretty soon. I need to call them and ask a few ?'s first but from what I have gathered by reading....the so seems very good to me. Be nice to have a way to take the chill off and dry some stuff out, will use quite a bit to get a feel for how the thing will work for me.....those are my expectations. I just wish I could find a moderately priced used one.

Beendare

WKR
OP- What you aren't factoring in is the "Forum effect". There are a % of guys that will always have problems- whether its improper installation or whatever. That LO stove is very good for what it is. Can I get mine to screw up- yes- its not hard.

There is a little bit of a learning curve with all of these stoves. They work best when you start them with tiny twigs a small hot fire that gets the convection current going up the pipe. Then don't overload them, feed and nurse them along. Use a little layer of sand or soil in the bottom extends their life. Scrape off excess creosote. Don't run them overloaded with ash.

My gut tells me you won't find the "Perfection" you are looking for. None of the UL versions are airtight.

The box stoves have certain advantages- sure, but then they are a little heavier and bulkier and more expensive.

The cylinder stove is the smallest, lightest, cheapest version.

The Wifi is between the 2 above.

All are good...all have advantages and disadvantages......none are perfect.