Podcasts

So, this might be an unpopular opinion, but I wonder if I’m the only one who feels this way.

Honestly, I can’t stand podcasts. Everything nowadays is a podcast. Want to learn about x? Listen to this podcast! It sucks. Then you’ve gotta listen to these people ramble on about a bunch of BS - oh and don’t forget the ads! Some are definitely worse than others, but IMO it’s inconvenient at best. Who has time to listen to a 2+ hour podcast about some subject - and absorb that information? I get the “passive listening” aspect - but that doesn’t do much for absorption. I can’t take notes on the way to and from work, or while working out.

I miss articles. I can take it in at my own pace. It’s easy to bookmark and return later if I want to skim back over it for a refresher. While the page might have ads on it they’re not usually intrusive… and last but not least, I don’t have to listen to someone rambling on for hours.

I'm the exact opposite, I basically listen to nothing but podcasts.
It is hard to absorb when I try listen in at work.
But my reading comprehension is poor. Listening to scenarios help me out.

The ones I have a hard time taking in are long range shooting podcasts.
They just except a based level of knowledge I suppose.
But I also drive alot for work. And listen alot while hiking.

Podcasts are the new articles, have been for years. I'll say it kills the time to and from work, if anything I don't have enough time for all the podcasts in my playlists.

What you have to be careful of in my opinion is gear x is amazing, then they get paid by said sponsor or are hoping to be sponsored by x after using it 1x time. The worst is when they use an outfitter and talk about their incredible hunt shoveling the crap. I get it, great opportunity, free hunt, etc but it's all crap. You'll quickly filter out the average from the great.

Yeah, podcasts have replaced the radio on my trip to and from work. It’s the new talk radio I guess, but a lot more specialized. 20 years ago there weren’t a lot of talk radio shows about hunting and shooting.

22lr

WKR
Podcasts have taken over 90% of my radio or music playing time. But, reading articles and books is still important to me. I have enough to read, and I'm very selective on podcasts. I have my priority stack for almost all my media, I work though it all as I have time.

I like learning new things, and while I'm not absorbing information in a deep podcast (like Dan Carlin's Hardcore History) all in one sitting, I dont mind listening to it again to learn more. Its better than 95% of modern country music...

Also, find formats that work. Some, like Meateater or the Joe Rogan Experience have lots of great content but also more ranting/sidebars. Ones like Dan Carlin are very scripted and more like an audio article on crack and steroids (seriously, if you like history, you need to be listening to that one). Finally, don't discount audio books if you like learning audibly but want to really cut out all rants/side bar conversation/adds.

I defintiely understand what youre saying with podcasts getting old, and i get tired of them too sometimes and just work without any music or podcasts. Ive also discovered if I'm not intentional about what i let my mind think i usually end up thinking about the same 4-5 things every day. Recently ive been listening to random other things that make me want to listen and pay attention and thats helped out alot. Keeps it from feeling like youre doing the same thing as the previous day

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk

Clovis

Lil-Rokslider
Used to love podcasts, but have not been enjoying them as much lately with one or two exceptions. I have switched primarily to listening to audiobooks and have found it to be a higher grade of content/information.

Kilboars

WKR
Podcasts like audio books are great when you can’t read. Like when driving or at the gym.

But some podcasters should not have podcasts. I find some talk to slow so I have to up the speed and others just talk about themselves or BS to much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jbehredt

WKR
I share your negative opinion. Talk shows for the modern man. I’m thinking Maury and Jerry Springer retired and people needed new sources of mindless entertainment. I downloaded a few for a long road trip a couple years ago. Ones I thought would be informative. Negative ghost rider.

I have been in education for 29 years. The lost art of reading comprehension is rampant in our younger generation where they have been raised watching video clips. Trying to get this generation to actually read something and comprehend it is a challenge. Not all but the vast majority. Podcasts as said above have taken the place of articles and quality articles. Personally the art of writing a clear and concise article is quickly becoming a lost art as well. I listen to podcasts daily during my 40 minute commute.

LostArra

WKR
There are good podcasts and bad podcasts (too many ads, too much backslapping yucking it up). Other than a select few Meateater episodes I've about given up on hunting podcasts.

Agree on Dan Carlin. Other good history: History Daily (occasionally a few too many ads but it seems to have stopped) and A Short History of (the two part episode on the Cuban Missile Crisis was really good)

KurtR

WKR
Dog training podcast have connected me with more pro trainers and been the biggest help in getting where i want to be in the test/trail game. So many answers on problems i would way behind where i am now.

ODB

WKR
I have been in education for 29 years. The lost art of reading comprehension is rampant in our younger generation where they have been raised watching video clips. Trying to get this generation to actually read something and comprehend it is a challenge. Not all but the vast majority. Podcasts as said above have taken the place of articles and quality articles. Personally the art of writing a clear and concise article is quickly becoming a lost art as well. I listen to podcasts daily during my 40 minute commute.

100%. I watched reading become less and less important as my daughter got older and shifted from private to public school. Required reading went out the window and even in English class kids are told they may substitute an audiobook for book reading. Same in history. Her teacher lists the sections of the book he is going over, but only says to read “if they need it.” Baloney. Then, when it comes to essay time, he expresses frustration the writing and overall level of work is not where it needs to be. I wonder if it ever dawns on him the two are connected.

BadDogPSD

WKR
I'm not a fan of podcasts either. I've listened to a few and was somewhat entertained, but would rather read to learn about a subject.

Dog training podcast have connected me with more pro trainers and been the biggest help in getting where i want to be in the test/trail game. So many answers on problems i would way behind where i am now.
Can you tell me which you listen to? Working on training a bird dog now. That might be helpful

KurtR

WKR
Can you tell me which you listen to? Working on training a bird dog now. That might be helpful
I have a lab so mine are all retriever based but im sure you can get some info

Lone duck chronicles bob owens answers lots of questions and is a good guy
the doghouse
Gun dog it yourself has more pointer stuff i pick and choose with that one
Duk Dogs Josh miller teaches alot
Sporting dog talk I pick and choose when some one interesting to me is on

Then i joined a local club and that is the best thing i have ever done. To be honest i am ate up with dog training its pretty much six days a week. I have some pretty high goals which has put other stuff like elk hunting out of state on the back burner. If i knew what i did now dog trainer out of high school would have been my choice.

rob86jeep

WKR
So, this might be an unpopular opinion, but I wonder if I’m the only one who feels this way.

Honestly, I can’t stand podcasts. Everything nowadays is a podcast. Want to learn about x? Listen to this podcast! It sucks. Then you’ve gotta listen to these people ramble on about a bunch of BS - oh and don’t forget the ads! Some are definitely worse than others, but IMO it’s inconvenient at best. Who has time to listen to a 2+ hour podcast about some subject - and absorb that information? I get the “passive listening” aspect - but that doesn’t do much for absorption. I can’t take notes on the way to and from work, or while working out.

I miss articles. I can take it in at my own pace. It’s easy to bookmark and return later if I want to skim back over it for a refresher. While the page might have ads on it they’re not usually intrusive… and last but not least, I don’t have to listen to someone rambling on for hours.
If you don't like podcasts, then just don't listen to them... Sounds similar to people saying they don't want to text because they prefer physical interaction or people who don't like email because hey prefer actual conversation. Nobody is forced to like anything.

Poidcasts are a great way to discuss complex ideas though. If it's not your thing, then great. If it is, then find some good ones.

But to answer your question, you're not the only one to not like podcast. However, you are in the minority as Joe Rogan's podcast is the MOST listened to show ever (to include all media whether print, radio, or TV).