Point A to B backpack hunt

Poser

WKR
Since were discussing the merits of backpack hunting, spike camps etc, thought I’d inquire about using two vehicles or arranging for a pickup, covering ground and ending at a different exit than where you started.

Assuming I draw the 3rd rifle mule deer tag I want, I have a plan in mind to use 2 vehicles and hunt about a 12 mile traverse over several days. We may never make it to point B, but the option exists to keep pushing and hit a variety of terrain and elevation, stay put where it’s good and take the shortest exit. 2 guys and 1 tag or 3 guys and 2 tags, the idea being that we can keep pushing if we’re not finding what we’re looking for.

Thoughts?

lif

WKR
Sounds like a great plan if it’s easy enough to pull off. I’ve done that many times on day hikes. Park my rig in one spot and get a shuttle to other side of the mountain 10 miles away. But I only had one way out unless I could get someone on the phone.

Yes. I would plan for your point a to point b be about thirty miles in the Frank Church and multiple with an elk tag like the guys posted on here about awhile back. Still dying inside on that one for multiple reasons. Haha Outside of that brutal and infeasible idea, in a lot of areas I think it’s very efficient. Best for deer if you the points are more than five miles apart. Otherwise you are not hunting for a couple miles and just hiking unless youre crazy or an Olympian.

Northpark

WKR
I have never considered this but I like it. Let’s you pick the best way out once you kill. I can think of a couple spots this would be great for.

I did this with 3 mates last year and turned out to be a fantastic idea.

We were hunting pretty steep faces below a long ridge where we had hunted before. You can access the top and bottom via vehicle, there is about 800-900m descent (3000ft or so). Generally in this area you have to drop down 1000 ft or so to get to where the deer are and hikes out with Sambar deer (a bit smaller than elk) can be brutal. We dropped a car at the bottom and spent 6 days hunting the faces slowly working down. We we shot a stag it went for quite a downhill run then tumble. Walk out was significantly easier for it.

I'd gladly do it again, and even if it is to just have the option of a different exit its well worth it IMO due to the ability to move more if animals aren't near the car.

Werty

WKR
I'm assuming you have a good ideas where you are going. A lot of areas I've hunted out west, that's not an option. Let us know how it turns out.

OP
P

Poser

WKR
I'm assuming you have a good ideas where you are going. A lot of areas I've hunted out west, that's not an option. Let us know how it turns out.

Yeah, I know the area well and have covered all of this ground in bits and pieces before. Syncing it up gives me a great opportunity to cover a wide variety of elevation. Mule deer are migrating at this time of year and often have moved out of the high country with the exception of a few stragglers. We would start at 11,000 feet or so and eventually work our way down to 8,000 feet coming out of a river valley. We can stop and work drainages that’s seen promising along the way and probably move quickly through the middle miles where we are the furtherest from an exit.

mlgc20

WKR
I used to do a similar version of this when I lived in Central Oregon. I would drive out to a local wilderness area and then when I got to the other end a few days later, I’d call my wife to come get me. Then we would go back to pick up my vehicle. It was awesome to not be tied to a vehicle. Just go where you want and camp where you want.

I also did it a couple of times where I hitched a ride back to my truck. Oregon had so many road hunters it was like a highway out there.

OP
P

Poser

WKR
I used to do a similar version of this when I lived in Central Oregon. I would drive out to a local wilderness area and then when I got to the other end a few days later, I’d call my wife to come get me. Then we would go back to pick up my vehicle. It was awesome to not be tied to a vehicle. Just go where you want and camp where you want.

I also did it a couple of times where I hitched a ride back to my truck. Oregon had so many road hunters it was like a highway out there.

Yeah, hitchhiking is definitely an option where I live. I’ve done it for bike shuttles and backcountry skiing. Even got a ride from a sheriff deputy once, though, with hunting, who knows when you’ll come out? Could be 3 am.

I’ve done this for the pine river trail two summers in a row. I wouldn’t hesitate to do it again for hunting, but I have a hard time finding a partner to pull this off.

Tick

WKR
I really enjoy this type of hunt. I usually spend 3-4 days hunting back towards my vehicle or basecamp after I get dropped off. Allows me to keep moving on to new country without having to backtrack until I find animals.

Yeah, hitchhiking is definitely an option where I live. I’ve done it for bike shuttles and backcountry skiing. Even got a ride from a sheriff deputy once, though, with hunting, who knows when you’ll come out? Could be 3 am.

I got a ride from the game warden in your area several years ago. It was against policy but when I told him where my truck was he said he'll yeah I'll give you a ride. Put his dog in the back and off we went.

Turned out his brother had lived in a town about 12 miles from me here on the east coast.

Just got back from a trip like this and it works out great, we had a lot of options on the way and used this set up for scouting new ground, the best part was the area we wanted to see had a crap ton of elevation change so either way to get there would have required some serious climbs. We plan to do this often in the future.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Well, I don't tow up a vehicle just so I can have two vehicles in base camp. ;)

But don't talk about it too much, then everyone will be doing that.

OP
P

Poser

WKR
Well, I don't tow up a vehicle just so I can have two vehicles in base camp. ;)

But don't talk about it too much, then everyone will be doing that.

Considering how the overall Rokslide community has shifted to the general advice that “if you don’t camp at your truck, you’re going to probably die of discomfort”, I’m not that concerned about it.

*zap*

WKR
If arranging for a pick up you might get two identical maps and mark them with pick up locations (exactly the same) and assign the locations a name/number or letter. One for you and one for the pick up person. When marking locations take into account the possibility of early pick up locations.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Considering how the overall Rokslide community has shifted to the general advice that “if you don’t camp at your truck, you’re going to probably die of discomfort”, I’m not that concerned about it.

I have to admit, I really like the comfort of my base camp. But I also really like exploring and covering a whole lot of new ground instead of backtracking over what I already covered on the way in.

SoDaky

WKR
Done it many times using a pickup and ATV.Not that far apart though.The drop vehicle,if an ATV,is really nice cause usually can be hidden.
There's always just the 'drop' as well.For a few years we'd daily drop in Idaho,walk across border and hunt mostly 'down' to near Noxon,Trout Creek,etc in Mt.Tough going and wouldn't think of it now.Sure guys are still doing it though.Any elk of course,usually shot in the 'middle' of the jaunt.

If you have two vehicles available why not? An added benefit is it will make the Trailheads and/or parking pull-outs look twice as busy. Bonus!