Point A to B backpack hunt

FlyGuy

WKR
We did this last year, except with 3 vehicles each parked several Mtn road miles apart along the northern boundary of our unit. We hiked in due south from the most western vehicle location a day before season opened to set up on a high point 5 miles in and glass. We had 8 days of food on us, and 8 more days worth stashed in the truck. Plan was to keep moving east (downhill) from there over several days until we found elk. I really liked the plan b/c it gave us tremendous flexibility. We wouldn’t be tied to one location, and if we killed an elk far from our original starting point, then we were never more than 6 miles from one of the three trucks. It took much longer than I planned to get all the vehicles moved and such, but I felt it was worth it. But, in the end, it wasn’t necessary. We ended up in elk on day one and never left that first location, just day hunted out from that 1st spike camp the entire time! That never happens, unless you have an awesome plan to be mobile in place like we did!

You can’t cheat the mountain