Point and Shoot Cameras

jpark

FNG
Looking for some recommendations of a point and shoot. I've been looking at the olympus stylus TG-4, thoughts?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

go4thegusto

WKR
Classified Approved
For what it is worth, I have moved to a big camera and have a hardly used Sony DSC-HX7V I would sell $100 TYD

I have the TG-4. I found it hard to used relative to my DSLR, and just haven't played with it enough. But according to reviews, it should be all you need.

The Sony rx-100 series is awesome, but lots of fearures in a tiny camera make it challenging to use at times (especially quickly). Such is the problem with tiny cameras.

Of course, the advantages of the Olympus are price and durability.

endorice

Lil-Rokslider
I'm also in shopping mode to replace a failing point-and-shoot. If budget were not a consideration, I'd go with the Sony RX-100. For my preferences (size, weight, budget, and features), I'm leaning towards the Canon PowerShot G9 X. Incredibly light and small, comes with a 1" sensor. There's a new version of this camera (Mark II) and therefore the base model can be obtained at a relatively modest price.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sony RX100 is an awesome point and shoot for sure. I ended up choosing the Canon G7xii for a couple of reasons. The image stabilization for video is unreal and attaching a digiscope kit is a little more straight forward (for me) than rigging one for the RX100. From what I could come up with for point and shoots the RX100 and G7xii were the two best and most comparable options. I'm going to use mine a lot for regular video and digiscoping so the image stabilization and ease of attaching my tines up adapter to it combined with the little lower price than the Sony made the Canon the go to for me.

Daniel_M

WKR
I've been using Olympus cameras for years. TG 2,3 AND 4. In my opinion, you can't beat them. The lens, battery life and features coupled with an outdoor lifestyle are unbeatable.

jlsteel

FNG
Sony RX100 is an awesome point and shoot for sure. I ended up choosing the Canon G7xii for a couple of reasons. The image stabilization for video is unreal and attaching a digiscope kit is a little more straight forward (for me) than rigging one for the RX100. From what I could come up with for point and shoots the RX100 and G7xii were the two best and most comparable options. I'm going to use mine a lot for regular video and digiscoping so the image stabilization and ease of attaching my tines up adapter to it combined with the little lower price than the Sony made the Canon the go to for me.

I am looking at these two cameras. How is the G7X easier to mount for digiscoping. I am using a Swaro ATS and haven't found a clean way to mount for digiscoping.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am looking at these two cameras. How is the G7X easier to mount for digiscoping. I am using a Swaro ATS and haven't found a clean way to mount for digiscoping.

Check out the adapters from tinesup.com. Called the scope cam adapter and you epoxy a thread adapter to your camera, then the actual adapter for the eye piece screws into that. The point and shoot kit comes with a Canon G9x, but you can buy just the adapter and epoxy it on yourself to the g7x. Only way I could figure it out for the rx was to do the pvc pipe deal which seems convoluted to me, so I went the route that I'd used before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Why not one of these, no experience with this but when I am able to pick up a swaro scope It will be on my list.
Video tutorial SWAROVSKI OPTIK Digiscoping camera adapter DCB II for ATX/STX telescopes - YouTube

My problem with theirs is that it's 1. It's huge compared to other options and 2. It takes a while comparatively to get setup. An adapter like the novagrade or tines up take way less time to set up and are quite a bit smaller.

My problem with theirs is that it's 1. It's huge compared to other options and 2. It takes a while comparatively to get setup. An adapter like the novagrade or tines up take way less time to set up and are quite a bit smaller.

The DCB isn’t terrible. I have one, slick part is it can swing up out of the way. So once it is set up it stays that way.