Point Creep

Rich M

WKR
Buddy wants to head back to hunt Mule deer again. Cool.

He suggests getting another point for 2022. We bought one last year as insurance.

So 10 guys applied for 10 tags in 2019 when we went. It was up to 15 guys for 2020. We have 5 guys having a point for 2021.

Say 20 guys apply for 10 tags in 2021 ( 5 w 1 pt draw and 5 w 0 point draw) = 10 guys with 1 point going into 2022. That would have next year at a 1+ point draw and we'll have 2.

Also seeing a lot more 2nd an 3rd choice tries at unit.

Gonna spend the extra $ and stay in front of the pack.

Incredible. We bought the point last year thinking it would be a one and done. Nope.

Looking forward to this trip.

Edit:
This used to be a 0 point, hard to hunt unit - plenty of land but few deer. We saw folks or at least evidence that we weren't first almost everywhere we went. Shot a 160-inch 4x4, missed a 120-inch 3x3, missed a big 2x2. Buddy wants redemption. I'd like to see him get a nice buck.

Watched the same thing happen with a WY antelope unit. 0 points with leftover tags the year before we went in 2017. In 2017, there were no leftovers, now has evolved into a 1-2 point unit with less than 25% public land. Talked with group and we're saving up points and wonder where we'll end up in a few years. The hope is that the "need to hunt now" guys exceed the "I'd rather have a better hunt later" guys and 5-6 points still means something in 3 years. I'll be on my 3rd point this year. Need to have 6 cause one guy in group forgot to buy point 2 yrs back. We apply as a group.

Anyone else feeling the squeeze?

Last edited:

Rat

FNG
One of the biggest problems with trying to predict point creep is when the state reduces the license quota for an area. Since they don't set quotas until after they have some idea of winter kill, it is impossible to predict creep until late spring and even then it's a shot in the dark. For the areas that I plan on hunting, the creep for Elk has been .5 to 1 point each year, the creep for deer has stayed relatively flat, basically no creep. Let's just hope for an easy winter for the herds.

Huntin_GI

WKR
I'd dump the buddies. Hard to hunt with a group that big and planning hunts and sharing spots with 15 other dudes doesn't bode well if you expect to use any information you gain as that 15 will turn in 40 if everyone in the group isn't tight lipped. Three guys can pack out an entire mule deer bone-in with relative ease.

Pick your favorite three and start making hunt plans and quit trying to plan stop worrying about accommodating the slackers.

OP
R

Rich M

WKR
My group is 3 guys.

The unit has 10 tags total.

15 total guys applied for unit in 2020 - up from 10 in 2019.

OP
R

Rich M

WKR
Everybody apply individually. Whoever draws goes. Simple.
It would be easier if we were closer - one guy in FL, one in NY, one in IN - and to think we used to live near each other and hunt a lot at one time.

Middle aged guys who want to sit by a campfire and have a drink at the end of the day, look up at the stars and relive past adventures while we make another memory. Only got a few more trips planned. Gotta make em count.

Brendan

WKR
Point creep and increased demand happens. When I went to Montana in 2014 - tags were available as surplus OTC into the rifle season. Now they sell out in the draw and you're relying on people turning them in and getting lucky as an alternate. Look at the shit show Idaho has become when those tags go on sale. Every single state, every single species out west it's gotten harder to draw, not easier.

If guys can't be bothered to buy a point, I'd say they're on the outside looking in when it comes to hunting. Have them apply on their own and if they don't get a tag, let them come and sit by the campfire, come and glass, and play camp cook. That way you still get the group together. (Watch what happens though: The group won't draw, and then one guy will get lucky in the random draw :D)

If everyone is hunting and the priority is everyone gets a tag, then do something like rifle elk in CO OTC that you can guarantee a tag. Good to have a lot of people to help pack out anyways!

slick

WKR
To add, it likely doesn’t matter that people are putting it 2nd and 3rd choice (if I’m understanding your scenario correctly)

It continually amazes me that some individuals cannot understand that there are tags they will never draw on a 2/3 choice (in most states ie: excluding AZ) yet continually put them down.

As an aside, I have a buddy who routinely fills all 5 choice for sheep hunts in OR. Why they allow 5 choices is beyond me? It’s likely just their system, but no one will ever draw a sheep on their 2nd choice.

Point creep is real. As others mentioned, go to CO rifle OTC as a collective and if there are some more serious about it than others, get together with them and apply in another state that interests you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
R

Rich M

WKR
Why not apply this year? Maybe you draw with your 1 point. If not, you gain the point you want for 2022
Taking a 2 week vacation is a big deal at my work. Best to be planned a yr in advance.