Point game for future hunts

I am back in school, at 42, and have several years till I am going to really have time do hunting trips. Hopefully over the next few years I can scrape enough cash together to put in for points in several states and several species. When I graduate I am not opposed to just going through an outfitter, hopefully I will be making enough and should have enough time off to travel.

Im pretty much interested in all big game species (Moose, Elk, Mule Deer, Goat, Sheep, Couse, Bear), upland, possibly Africa Plaines and other countries. Mostly just wanting to see more than the Whitetail woods and go on some adventures while hunting.

dtrkyman

WKR
Points make sense only if you are looking into non trophy units, the amount of points for premium units might be a waste of time?

jmez

WKR
Code:
Points make sense only if you are looking into non trophy units, the amount of points for premium units is a waste of time and money?

FFY

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

JasonWi

WKR
The points game is a losing battle for the most part, and I highly regret starting in a few states.

But to answer your question and give something constructive , I would personally look at units that take 2-3 points currently that you’re interested in hunting and plan by the time your done with school you’ll have the points to hunt them with points creep.

DON’T waste the money of sheep, moose, goat points. Instead utilize those funds to purchase points in places they’ll actually help you. WY deer, elk, antelope for example are still relatively inexpensive and you’ll be able to draw three decent hunts once you’re done with school…the cost of your sheep or moose pp will almost be the same as all three of those!

Don’t t start playing the game in UT! It’s a losing battle and isn’t worthwhile even with the lower upfront costs. None of the LE units for a NR will happen for years and years to come IF ever!

Don’t buy pp in Oregon, it’s simply a joke for NR and you can still hunt Roosevelt elk and blacktail deer OTC and I don’t see that changing anytime soon.

Nevada is another tough state and is very expensive upfront, and realistically a person can hunt there more often, but you won’t be hunting the great units. Mid and low tier but it’s another option that NOT buying a sheep or moose pp will pay for a lot of the fees.

Anywho just a few ideas to think about

Extrapale

WKR
Go ahead and scratch moose,sheep, and goats off your list if it's preference point states, even bonus points it's probably a waste. Throw that money into an account and save for a Canada or Alaska trip to get a moose or a goat
This is good advise.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

OP
F
I agree with those that do not like the point game. I just know that there are some places that as a NR you have to put in for them. I am perfectly fine with going into lower point draw units. But like was stated I don't want to start putting in for states where it is a futile attempt to draw. I am more than willing to pay for a tag through an outfitter, if need be, to at least have a better chance of getting an attempt at an animal.

sneaky

"DADDY"
If you pay attention to news articles lately it seems it's cheaper to be a poacher than it is to play the points game. Hunt in the state of your choice.

Rich M

WKR
You and i are both late to the party.

Points are necessary but you need to set a game plan and have a goal you can reach in like 5 years.

Be careful w WY, read up on 90/10. They want to do that the deer elk antelope next. Might take a few years, but they showed the trend when they did it to moose sheep etc.