Point of aim question

I have recently been trying to shoot point of aim with a 3 under. I hold the point on the target and it hits left every time. Is this normal? What are the fixes to help me dial it in?

I'm currently navigating similar issues.

Are you hitting your sleeve?
Are you coming into proper alignment with a straight line from your eye, through the arrow, to the target?
Are the arrows tuned correctly? I think this is my issue. I went through my tuning process but feel like I was maybe getting false weak readings.

Matt21418

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had similar issues in the past two things that I found for me:
-weak arrow, I was able to move it away from the riser and this helped
-hand torque with my bow hand. I took a file/sander to the grip and flatten out left to right to ensure I was putting equal pressure on my grip.
-finally it also happens time to time when I start “peaking” and bringing my head up and out to quickly after I release a shot. Think about trying to hold your bow in the same position all the way through your follow thru of your shot.

It was super frustrating and took me awhile to work through this for me and figure it out, good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldgoat

WKR
So, assuming you have a tuned setup, it's possible you may need to anchor a little different. If you watch the barebow and Olympic shooters, they almost all have tape on their noses, they get the string right up there to the left of the center of their right eye. If you don't do this, you will shoot farther and farther left as the shot distance increases. If you don't have a tuned arrow, then this will generally be caused by a too stiff of arrow. All of this is for a right hand shooter, if you're left handed it's the opposite!

Rob5589

WKR
Right handed shooter? Have someone, or video yourself, to check your alignment.

I do the same, shoot straight up and down. Most of my misses are left, its always when I get lazy and I'm not aligning the string with the shaft...string aligned on the right side of my shaft (sight window side) puts me where I wanna be

OP
T
This is a wealth of great information. I’m shooting right handed, no cant currently on an Arvin weaver 45lb self bow with 45-50 woods at 30”

Ahh. I’m unfamiliar with that bowyer, but I’m willing to bet the bow is way shy of center cut, given that it’s a selfbow. If you’re shooting a vertical bow, you have a lot of paradox to overcome which is why you shoot left consistently.

Basically, the arrow is already pointing left somewhat to begin with when you nock it because resting up against the riser naturally points it that way.

OP
T
Ahh. I’m unfamiliar with that bowyer, but I’m willing to bet the bow is way shy of center cut, given that it’s a selfbow. If you’re shooting a vertical bow, you have a lot of paradox to overcome which is why you shoot left consistently.

Basically, the arrow is already pointing left somewhat to begin with when you nock it because resting up against the riser naturally points it that way.
I just tried some significant canting and it brought it center! With a self bow, is a cant pretty much recommended based on what you’re saying?

OP
T

The bowyer just texted me and said he cuts about 1/8 shy of center though it depends on the stave.

Rob5589

WKR
I just tried some significant canting and it brought it center! With a self bow, is a cant pretty much recommended based on what you’re saying?
I'd bet you're getting the arrow under your eye better/straighter. I've never shot one but looking at them it seems almost necessary to cant at least some due to the tiny shelf.

Squints08

Lil-Rokslider
Depends how the shelf is cut. My Bob Lee and ILF require no canting because they are cut to center. My first “custom” is on order currently but when I tried all of his different models canting was required because he cuts them short of center unless specifically requested. Glad you got some help and keep practicing!

The bowyer just texted me and said he cuts about 1/8 shy of center though it depends on the stave.

Yes sir. Canting will help a lot. I do the same with my Hill-style bow, and it’s also cut 1/8” shy of center (more than that with the leather arrow rest), and will shoot left if I’m vertical.