Point On

GLB

WKR
Last year I started working on using a “Point On” with my hunting bows. Being a instinctive split finger shooter for over 30 years I didn’t want to change into a “Gap Shooter” even though I can see some benefits in it.

I like the idea to be able to accurately make a longer follow up shot if needed by using the point of the arrow. In my case I use the top edge of the insert, and if my form is good it’s pretty accurate and also a good way to dial in your tune.

In the picture is a typical group for my “Point On” at 40 yards with my longbow. I think it can be useful in a hunting situation and certainly a good way to check your tune.

Attachments

• 126F1578-F00E-469D-B694-00C938759EDB.jpeg
    126F1578-F00E-469D-B694-00C938759EDB.jpeg
    792.1 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
OP
GLB

GLB

WKR
^^^ That’s a good example where a point on can be useful in hunting regardless of your aiming method.

I was surprised how easy it was for me to be able to use the arrow as a reference. I have always shot instinctively, not a grip it and rip it guy but hold 2-3 seconds refine my aim and release. I do see the arrow but my focus is the spot on the animal/target.

For me this is a good mix. Instinctive out to 30 yards and Point On/ Gap 35-45 yard With this particular setup.

OP
GLB

GLB

WKR
👆🏼Yep I like my PO at 40 yards. Much more beyond that for me, it’s difficult to be consistent.

Ahutch

FNG
I've never consiously used an aiming methed per say....but, in the last year or so, i make sure to reference my arra more for left an right. I've never paid any concious attention to gaps. Having said that I have a lot more left and right consistence that I never had. So I can damn sure see a positive result in the various gaping that folks use.

Hutch

Yeah, with a little practice you can be deadly using your PO.

I’ve talked about this before. I was hunting a spot on a water tank for coues that I knew from previous scouting was 45 yds across.

I played around setting up an arrow for a 45 yd PO and while dialing it in doing a bunch of shooting it proved to be very accurate at that slot distance.

i had a buck come to water facing me at 45yds with some does a bit further off to my left. I drew as he turned and when he stopped and stared at the does quartering away the arrow was gone.

It angled in through the guts with the BH poking out the opposite shoulder at 47 yds.

The buck turned inside out running away but he wasn’t going far with my arrow diagonally through his entire body.

I wouldnt take that shot with my other arrow setup- a 38yd PO but shooting that 45yd PO for a month proved to be crazy accurate for a trad bow.

I can see why the Stringwalkers and fixed crawl guys do it, their slot accuracy is deadly.

I have 2 point on's, if that make sense. Bottom of my serving I use to gap shoot under 20 and another 1/4'' up from the bottom of the serving is 20-30. Usually keeps my point on somewhere between bottom to top of vitals for both. I think it is the best of both worlds. I have an extra wrap of serving on the bottom so I can feel it without looking.

TaterTot

Lil-Rokslider
I have 2 point on's, if that make sense. Bottom of my serving I use to gap shoot under 20 and another 1/4'' up from the bottom of the serving is 20-30. Usually keeps my point on somewhere between bottom to top of vitals for both. I think it is the best of both worlds. I have an extra wrap of serving on the bottom so I can feel it without looking.
Took me a minute to figure out what you meant. You are using a fixed crawl. I do the same thing. Actually I have 3 point ons. My fixed crawl is for 10-20, directly under the arrow is 20-30, and split finger is 30-50

Took me a minute to figure out what you meant. You are using a fixed crawl. I do the same thing. Actually I have 3 point ons. My fixed crawl is for 10-20, directly under the arrow is 20-30, and split finger is 30-50

Yep. I stay under though. I like looking straight down the shaft

I don't crawl, but I gap at my riser. In fact, I was memorizing my gaps at the range yesterday. I have a perfect 20 yard gap where my widow limbs meet the riser on the belly side of the bow. That's my backyard shot, and my most comfortable point of aim by far. Then I have a gap on the side of my strike plate. I didn't mean to set it up that way, but it turned out to be a 37 yard gap. And I have a 50 yard point on, but that's with the top of the field tip, not my arrow insert.

So for mule deer sized animals, I adjust the limb/riser intersection of my bow from dead on at 20 up to top of the back at 31-32 yards. 33-37 I'm bringing my strike plate up from just under the belly up to the heart. And then I'm elevating the strike plate yard by yard until my point on gets involved at 50. My trajectory falls off hard after 40 yards though.

Beendare

WKR
Clever^ Though It would help to see a photo to make sure I understand what you were doing.

when i shot a Fixed crawl for awhile I had a couple wraps of floss to Mark my finger position below my noks but I used the same placement for my aero nok.

I always tie in both an upper and a lower nock with approximately 1/16 of an inch of play. With only one knock tied in I was getting inconsistent arrow flight and poor accuracy.

Clever^ Though It would help to see a photo to make sure I understand what you were doing.

when i shot a Fixed crawl for awhile I had a couple wraps of floss to Mark my finger position below my noks but I used the same placement for my aero nok.

I always tie in both an upper and a lower nock with approximately 1/16 of an inch of play. With only one knock tied in I was getting inconsistent arrow flight and poor accuracy.

I'll post a pic later if I can remember .

TaterTot

Lil-Rokslider

If I understand correctly he's just tied extra serving to create a bump so he can feel it. I do the same thing except I use a tie on nock essentially. That way when I'm hunting I never have to take my eyes off the animal to set my fingers on the string. Inside of 20 I feel for the extra knock, over 20 is and a bit over I put my fingers under the arrow.

OP
GLB

GLB

WKR
Definitely some innovative ways to use the stickbow/arrow to aim with. I believe Randy Cooling uses a reference on his bow for longer shots like Trumpkin The Dwarf mentioned.

Guys on the 3D course that has an aiming method, Gap or Walking will generally score better than most instinctive shooters.

For hunting I like the combination of instinctive with a PO as long as the PO is in a usable range for me.

I have an ILF recurve coming that I want to experiment on and try 3 under and gapping. Mainly for 3D shooting. I am concerned however that I will mess myself up but I like to experiment.

Knowing your point on, even when “instinctive” shooting is super beneficial. As long as you can have a clear mind and not think about too much at the shot when using it. I tend to shoot mostly instinctive now under 25-30 yards (somewhat aware of the insert farther out). Then much more aware of the tip/point on distance for hold over when practicing out to 50. Here is a group I just shot at 34 with my point on the when bareshaft tuning my springy I just put on my warf. My first pair was a 4” group. D807696D-5FCB-4CE2-B6C0-72EA8974419C.jpeg

OP
GLB

GLB

WKR
Yep, I think for instinctive shooters working with a PO and staying close to that when aiming the arrow will work together.

A Gap plus and minus 5 yards or so from your PO is very workable while shooting instinctive closer in. It’s much easier for me to hold on or over vs under. Holding under using a Gap messes me up.

So here is my string-walking mix. At the bottom of the serving, I use for sub 20. It is Point on at 10 and a top of the insert at 20. Next is top of the double serving which is point on at 20 and top of the insert at 25. By point on, I mean how Beendare described it, as a clay shooter uses the bead on his barrel. I like straight down the shaft like I am shooting clays. out to 25 I can keep good groups. I haven't shot enough to move further quiet yet, but when I get my custom I sure as hell will be.

Attachments

• tab.jpg
    tab.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 23
  • Tab2.jpg
    Tab2.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 23