Point On

What is a standard 3U point on? I have full length, 555g, 32'' arrows drawing 27.5'' at 47# but at 20 yards it still is almost 2' I have to hold under. I was using a 5/8'' high nocking point but I was getting bad broadhead and bareshaft flight so I moved it down and have great flight but it is a lot to hold under. Before I was 14'' at most and usually 8-9''.

I did not want to use a fixed crawl, but I've put a 3/8'' lower secondary nock tie to use as a FC and its got me 8-10'' at most which makes me significantly more accurate. Is 18-22'' a standard hold under ? It just trips me up to hold at a critters feet or a foot below the animal at 15 yards when I am 20' above it and I lose accuracy trying to determine my gaps.

Btaylor

WKR
32” at 27” DL…. You must have a fairly low anchor point.

I anchor up high on my cheek but due to my long DL I don’t have the options that you do by using a longer arrow. I’m close to maxed out.

My hunt bow has a (big) 1 1/8” gap at 20yds. Its 3/8” at 30. I would prefer less of a gap.

I was playing with a set up that had a slightly better gap at 20 but I’m just going to use my rocksolid hunting set up.

I thought about doing as you say put a piece of floss down the string as a secondary anchor point but I don’t quite get as good of aero flight

Assume you are referring to gap at the bow as opposed to at the target?

Kentucky

WKR
I’m shooting 49# 27.5 DL, 3Under, 545g arrow from a R/D longbow.. point on is 35-37 yards..

not all anchor points, form, release are created equal.. all else being equal, each archers point on will vary some.

oldgoat

WKR
I wish my gap was that close! I shoot split with low anchor and have a 31" draw, I had to really up my gpp and shoot slower model bows to get decent at close ranges, my point on is still a little over 60 yards. Really you have 3 options, heavier arrow, longer arrows or combination of those 2 or fixed crawl which to me seems like it would cause broadhead flight issues if you switched back and forth between where you grab the string. Guess there is a 4th option and that's just get used to the gap, I have and mines considerably more than yours!

I shoot 55# @ my 27" DL, 30 inch 635gr arrow. I've moved to anchoring high up on my cheek and slanting the bow and that gives me a 25yd point on.

Sent from my SM-G996U1 using Tapatalk

OP
Page Master
I shoot 55# @ my 27" DL, 30 inch 635gr arrow. I've moved to anchoring high up on my cheek and slanting the bow and that gives me a 25yd point on.

Man I have tried to anchor higher on my cheek and it just bugs the hell out of me. I cannot get good form or anchoring up there. I am back on the edge of my jaw. Olympic/under the chin feels even better lol but then it would be a 70 yard PO

NoRush24

Lil-Rokslider
50# recurve 31” arrow at 515grns and a pretty low anchor my point on is about 48 yards.

Geewhiz

WKR
I've got a 30" draw shooting a 657 grain arrow 3 under and my point on is 43 yards. 55 lb super k.

Man I have tried to anchor higher on my cheek and it just bugs the hell out of me. I cannot get good form or anchoring up there. I am back on the edge of my jaw. Olympic/under the chin feels even better lol but then it would be a 70 yard PO
I absolutely hated it at first and it's been a couple month struggle and getting lefts and rights figured out considering I'm forced to lean the bow and can't use the string as my guide. I do have to say though, my 3D scores have gone up on average since I made the change and my "instinctual" yardage estimating has seemed to improve since the arrow and my eye are at a lot less severeof an angle to each other. I would have been much happier with a lower anchor but for the way I hunt I just couldn't get my point on and gaps to line up with what I wanted to do from that lower anchor.

I shoot a fixed crawl that gives me a 31 yard point on. It's about 3/8" below the nock.

535 grain, 30", 57# @ 29".

My point is about 13" low at 20, but I do a messed up, just shoot ignore the point under 25 yards. More "instinct" I guess, I struggle to aim the point close, cause the arrow tends to go where I look.

So I don't gap shoot til past 25 yards, seems to mostly work for me.

OP
Page Master
I shoot a fixed crawl that gives me a 31 yard point on. It's about 3/8" below the nock.

535 grain, 30", 57# @ 29".

My point is about 13" low at 20, but I do a messed up, just shoot ignore the point under 25 yards. More "instinct" I guess, I struggle to aim the point close, cause the arrow tends to go where I look.

So I don't gap shoot til past 25 yards, seems to mostly work for me.

I think this is how I will be shooting this season. I can absolutely stack arrows when using a FC. Just feels like I am cheating I guess lol I tuned my arrows a touch weak when directly 3U so when I am on my FC it stiffens them up enough they fly out perfect, then if I am 3U for anything further than 25 the arrow has time to recover.

I absolutely hated it at first and it's been a couple month struggle and getting lefts and rights figured out considering I'm forced to lean the bow and can't use the string as my guide. I do have to say though, my 3D scores have gone up on average since I made the change and my "instinctual" yardage estimating has seemed to improve since the arrow and my eye are at a lot less severeof an angle to each other. I would have been much happier with a lower anchor but for the way I hunt I just couldn't get my point on and gaps to line up with what I wanted to do from that lower anchor.

I tinker with different anchors in the garage when I am bored. I suppose I'll keep doing it this winter and see if I can find something that works. I have a fat face, so the string always seems to rub the hell out of my cheeks.

I tuned my arrows a touch weak when directly 3U so when I am on my FC it stiffens them up enough they fly out perfect, then if I am 3U for anything further than 25 the arrow has time to recover.

I have just always tuned from the FC, once I started using it. Gets a little complicated, but I have figured out more or less what usually works for me. My bareshafts fly right with my fletched, assuming I don't fork up my release. Thing needs some wd-40, it's getting rusted up or something.

OP
Page Master
A fixed crawl is a huge advantage for more accurate shorter shots, especially when you have a long PO.

On a shot, I set my gap at the tip of the arrow to the target. I just got done measuring that 20 yd gap at the target and its 34” Thats a lot.

I was hoping to be hunting with heavier limbs and slightly lighter arrow for flatter trajectory shorter PO but broke those.

Im going to tie in a piece of floss at 25 today and check my BH arrow flight as sometimes the crawl wrecks perfect flight.

Yeah so if you're shooting a deer/elk at 15 yards from a treestand that is 20' high, how much below the critter are you actually aiming? That would be almost 1.5' below it's feet.

I have only been shooting trad since early this spring and I’ve gone through a bunch of changes with my anchor position and fixed crawl and I’ve finally settled in to a high anchor right at the front of my cheek bone with 3 under, no crawl. My point on distance is at 20 yards with my 47# Toelke with a 540 grain arrow and 25 yards with my 58#(probably closer to 55# at my DL) Bob Lee with a 625 grain arrow. My arrows are 30” but with the high anchor it doesn’t seem like the arrow length changes the point on distance very much, within the range of arrow length I need to tune 200-250 grain heads.
I tried the high anchor when I first started and it felt very strange, maybe due to coming over from compound and having a low anchor for so long, but after a few months of shooting traditional, I tried the high anchor again(after ripping my face off with face scrapes, using other anchors) and it really felt great. My face scrapes ended immediately, my point on distance sucked in to the ranges I really need it to be for hunting deer from a stand and I actually feel the tension in my back better with the higher anchor… and my consistency and accuracy improved tremendously.
All of that to say, it just took me a while to figure out what works for me, and I had to go back and try something that felt awkward at first.
My max gaps are 8”@10 for the Toelke and 12”@12 for the Bob Lee and we just won’t talk about what happens after the PO distance🤪

Foggy Mountain

Lil-Rokslider
There’s lots of ways to lessen gap. One is lengthening arrow but yours are already there. To me 5/8” nock is too low already. I keep it up at the very point I start to see probs. Form is key, people with it often get away with lots more. I use split finger but middle finger anchor. Same as 3 under.
Im not a fan of crawling or walking as it makes a bow noisier most times.
What broadheads do you use? Say it was a heavy head, you could substitute it for something lighter and add woody weights to make up weight. It would lengthen arrow in the process. May or may not work. Are you purely gapping or shooting split vision?

Foggy Mountain

Lil-Rokslider
I tinker with different anchors in the garage when I am bored. I suppose I'll keep doing it this winter and see if I can find something that works. I have a fat face, so the string always seems to rub the hell out of my cheeks.
Sounds like your overdrawing.