Points I should be getting for the kids?

CMF

WKR
We've only been into hunting the west the past two years, but I don't see any quitting now! My 11yo son already wants to hunt elk, and I have an 8 yo son that is right behind him. I started getting my 13yo daughter points this year in CO(I should have started last year). I also started putting them in for some NM hunts this year. But I'm wondering what other states I should be getting them points for and looking at the long game? Seems every state has different ages, requirements, etc. I plan to do a lot more research this coming year to make sure I'm not missing any, but figured some of you are ahead of the curve already and might fill me in?

WKR
I would invest aggressively in the stock market and buy landowner tags on private land in NM, CO or Utah. I think it is actually cheaper in the long run.

My daughter shot a bull on 12 points recently after she graduated college. A non-resident would have been 18 points. Start adding up the draw fees and you'll see it is possible to buy landowner tags for about same without huge waits.

Mojave

WKR
Concur, every aspect of point creep has killed these programs.

I did it for my 9 year old, when she was younger and I could. Within a couple of years we realized it was a waste of money as she has zero interest.

My brother in law and my dad did it for my nephew. He is 24 and has never hunted once.

Non point states (Idaho, Alaska, New Mexico) are the only good deals.

I still buy points in Arizona, Wyoming, Utah, Nevada and Montana for myself the only ones I will probably ever draw tags in are Arizona (military only tags) and Wyoming deer and antelope (I cashed in my elk points last year). I am about 7-8 points in on all these states.

Sheep are pointless you will never catch up to point out of a sheep, mountain goat, or moose or bison hunt. If you are starting today, as a a child you'll be lucky to hunt those species in your lifetime. There are 20,000 people at the top 5 years of the points pools in most states. You will never draw those tags.

You buy the points in Utah and Montana but the odds are you will draw it through a regular draw.

Reactions: CMF

gburk

WKR
Agree with the above, money is more useful than points but would add, check out Arizona youth cow hunts. Good opportunities for kids and reasonable cost.

Felix40

WKR
It’s not points but some of the youth off range oryx hunts have really really good odds. That’s a super cool and unique hunt too. Way more fun than hunting on the missile range.

gburk

WKR
I’ve thought about doing that too ... just can’t justify the 1600 bucks. But it would be fun.

OP
CMF

CMF

WKR
I put them in for some of the NM youth Elk, Barbary, and Oryx this year.

Mojave

WKR
I think the youth elk hunts in the 16's and 34 are a smoking deal for odds.

LostArra

WKR
I would invest aggressively in the stock market and buy landowner tags on private land in NM, CO or Utah. I think it is actually cheaper in the long run.

My daughter shot a bull on 12 points recently after she graduated college. A non-resident would have been 18 points. Start adding up the draw fees and you'll see it is possible to buy landowner tags for about same without huge waits.
Great suggestion. Plus if the child ended up more interested in maybe fishing, you have $ for some nice trips to Alaska or the Keys where Ponzi points aren't necessary to enjoy prime locations.

Mojave

WKR
Ponzi points, that they are.

Two examples with basic math:

Based on a 12 year old kid.

Wyoming a lot of good antelope tags for 5-15% odds, areas where you have to pay for access at 100% odds with no points. Sheep and Moose here's the deal point creep goes up .15% per year. Because there are 25,000 people in the preference points system for sheep and 32,000 people in the preference points game for moose. No one starting today will ever draw again using a preference point system the way it is set up today. That doesn't stop them from putting in for a non-points regular draw tag.

New Mexico Youth only tags odds: 1 in 78 for oryx, good elk units Gila and 34 1 in 75 for elk, 1 in 15 for antelope it truly is a better deal.

Take your kids to Africa, or buy a ranch tag somewhere and see if they want to hunt.

MT257

WKR
Can only buy points in Montana for kids that are eligible to hunt. Bill was just signed into law changing this

Mojave

WKR
The biggest downside to waiting so long for applications to work out is that a lot of the land owner tags are already gone.

OP
CMF

CMF

WKR
Thanks for the responses.
Well, my Son got lucky! We had 15 apps in NM between the family and he was the only one to draw. He got second choice Elk.

I don't know if I agree with the guys saying don't bother to apply and build up points. I have 3 boys, 2 of which I've been building up points for elk, deer, and pronghorn in Colorado. None were successful on deer or pronghorn this year, but my oldest drew a bull tag in GMU 67 that costs only $57 as a non-resident. And I expect that in the next couple of years that they will be close to drawing mule deer tags, as well. Even if my oldest will be an adult at that time, he will have accumulated points for cheap as a youth.

We hunt units that only require one point in Colorado and one point in Wyoming for Antelope. Alternate the years so that when Elk hunting, you are buying a point for the next year for Antelope. Every year we hunt and it has worked out great. My two boys combined this year for 2 Elk, a Muledeer and a bear in Colorado.