Poison Ivy and the like

Does anyone here experience “systemic reaction to urishol?”

When I get into poison ivy or similar plants, about 4 days later, I get the reaction in spots that didn’t touch the plant. For example, on a search a few years ago, I was carrying out a patient, and walked, in shorts, right through a plant. By the next week, I had a rash on my back and sides.

The doctor at the time recommended Dermarest mousse and prescribed a course of oral antibiotics.

Do others get this type of reaction? If so, do you try to self treat, or do you go the steroid and doctor route?

530Chukar

WKR
I’ve gotten the same sort of reaction in the past usually out on fires. I can be completely my covered up and still get it in my forearms, behind knees and on feet. I used to go to the doctor every couple times and get the shots but after years and years of those I think that the long term side effects aren’t good on your body. The last 5 years I do t seem to get it as bad. Some of the worse rashes I will treat with a little bit of bleach or rubbing alcohol and that seems to dry it out quicker than even the cortisol, normally about 3 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ten Bears

WKR
I get it really bad. Had it get in my bloodstream and ended up in the hospital. Ever since my body freaks out randomly when I am around it.

Try a Jewelweed soap, the discontinued Burts Bees version is my favorite. It still exists on ebay for about $25 a bar (I have a stockpile). Worth every penny. It saved me from having to go to the Doctors/steroids everytime I have a reaction. I just suds up anytime I think I have been around it.

530Chukar

WKR
One last note, I heard about a year ago that the military has been testing a medication that would build up your immunity to it for 6 months at a time. Anyone else have more info on this?

541hunter

WKR
Does anyone here experience “systemic reaction to urishol?”

When I get into poison ivy or similar plants, about 4 days later, I get the reaction in spots that didn’t touch the plant. For example, on a search a few years ago, I was carrying out a patient, and walked, in shorts, right through a plant. By the next week, I had a rash on my back and sides.

The doctor at the time recommended Dermarest mousse and prescribed a course of oral antibiotics.

Do others get this type of reaction? If so, do you try to self treat, or do you go the steroid and doctor route?

Urishol is like an oil. It can transfer from clothes, seats or even tools. For example when you got home and changed your shorts the oil could have transferred to your hands/arms. I work in poison oak all the time and try my best to follow protocols to prevent getting a rash.

Luziana Feller

Lil-Rokslider
I'm highly allergic. It was explained to me that the oil from the plant, leaf, vine, root etc is what gets on you. Either by direct contact or touching anything with the oil on it. The oil can stay on things for a long time too. The oil has consistency of axle grease- being tacky and not easily rinsed off the skin. Grease cutting soaps are better at removing the oil from your skin. Also use something with a little abrasion to it like a wash cloth or loofah thing your wife has hanging in the shower. Again, think like its axle grease and scrub. It generally will not start a reaction between 3-8 hours depending on the individual. I take a shower with a rough wash cloth and blue dawn anytime I'm around it and I have almost completely mitigated my reactions. Unless it gets on my truck seat or gloves or something.

Once you get it though, different things work for different folks. Find one. I normally just walk it off unless it gets real bad. Then I go see doc...hope this helps

adkhunter

FNG
This was about 4 days after exposure, hanging a tree stand! I break out within hours of even seeing poison ivy! This is not the worst case i have had and it goes systemic every time.
Needed steroid shot for this one as well as oral prednazone. Highly recommend you don't touch your junk if ya have the oil on your hands. Don't ask me how i know.

The one I can't get around is when using the chainsaw, blowing chips have covered my face, down my shirt, all over.

I would kill for that immunization if the military ever comes up with it. I can deal with ticks and thorns and what ever else but poison ivy kills me.

Never had poison oak but poison sumac and parsnip several times when i live up north.

adkhunter

FNG
@adkhunter that sucks! amputate!!!
Thought about it at the time! Wife and kids looked at me like I was a lepper:LOL:

Technu doesn't work for me, need to find some jewel weed soap for next time. I start to itch on exposure and breakout in an hour or two. Just getting over some from 2 weeks ago now.

b_schwin

FNG
One last note, I heard about a year ago that the military has been testing a medication that would build up your immunity to it for 6 months at a time. Anyone else have more info on this?

I use a product called oral ivy drops which is the same concept and works well.

huntdoc

FNG
Used to be a product for poison ivy immunotherapy (shots) that worked well, but get taken off market by FDA. Saw some good results for people who typically reacted badly, but like so many things got pulled and never returned to market. Avoidance if possible, followed by washing any exposed areas ASAP helps lessen symptoms. No experience with oral drops but if it's safe and works, has to be better than steroids.

Out here in Arizona during a wet spring we get a plant locally known as scorpion weed with pretty blue flowers. It can get up tp 24 inches tall but is normally shorter. It is just like poison ivy and I am highly allergic to it. I usually avoid it, but my dogs run through it then transfer it to me! This year with our wet spring we had a lot and it is mostly a dried up and gone now but I still got a bit on my foot from the dogs stepping on me in the house. I use the Technu soap and the anti itch spray with good success but recently discovered that a CBD oil lotion works really well and seems to kill it quickly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My brother compounds this stuff at work. It’s been near miraculous in my rash prevention. Used to get a reaction just thinking about poison ivy. Stayed out of the woods for years because of it. Since taking the medicine twice a year I’ve had almost zero reactions to poison ivy. Of course I do my part to avoid it but truly believe the immunity I’ve built up to it is all contributed to this stuff. Call or email them for more info.

RedSnow

Lil-Rokslider
I once inhaled poison ivy in the air from running a wood chipper (yes very dumb). Previous to this I was not very allergic. The rash came out everywhere. I find the best help at getting the poison ivy off your skin is to first use a towel with only water. Take the oil off by friction force of the towel, so scrub really hard. I then follow it up with a poison ivy soap to break down any poison ivy left behind. IF caught right away the towel will remove most all of the oil and prevent bad outbreaks.

Loco4dux

WKR
Got it recently for the first time since I was a kid. Almost as bad as ADK picture above. Tried to treat it myself with Zanfel (good stuff) and cortisone cream. Wasn't enough had to go to the doc to get the scrip strength cream, prednisone shot in my ass, oral prednisone, and some other hyrox blah blah oral for the itch at night. Pretty bad experience I will be paying better attention on what tree I sit under next time I turkey hunt that ranch. I'm at 4.5 weeks since exposure and just now starting to not look like a freak.

Wellsdw

WKR
Steroids for me! I get systemic like you, shows itself on my ballz and forearms. I once had a doc that refused steroids shots. Changed docs, actually asked the new doc if they gave shots, she said yes I said sign
Me up. Steroids clear it up
For me almost overnight. Otherwise I live with it for 10 Days