Polar Pure

Brandon Pattison

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 25, 2012
Messages
2,828
Location
Michigan
Does a shellfish allergy put one at risk for using this product? I have used the tablets with the citrus without incident but I don't want to run the risk of choking out in the bush.
 

dotman

1
Joined
Feb 24, 2012
Messages
8,206
Test it out at home way in advance multiple times or don't use it and try something else.
 
OP
Brandon Pattison

Brandon Pattison

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 25, 2012
Messages
2,828
Location
Michigan
Polar Pure is pure iodine crystals that you allow an ounce of water to dilute to the maximum amount and mix with your unfiltered water with an amount predetermined by the temperature of the water with a certain ratio, as instructed on your bottle via a thermometer. WAY better than iodine tablets but the same concept minus the expiration date.
 

aggieland

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 25, 2012
Messages
694
Location
N.E. Texas....
I use Nonionized contrast Injections and also drinks doing CT studies here at the hospital, it's a little different than just drinking Iodine. Some people can and do have reactions to even the Noniodized contrast we use. So if anyone has an allergy to Iodine etc you better be darn sure you can drink this kind of stuff. The stuff we use has a very very low reaction rate, I have seen one person have a reaction in the past 3 years but let me tell you my friends it scared the hell out of me. The guy sets straight up in the middle of the CT Scan and started grabbing his chest with this OMG look on his face then he starts projectile vomiting all over the place.. the ER Doc gave him Benadryl and it fixed him but it was very unsettling for me. "And they call that a mild reaction" Here is a link that may help explain the differnces and help explain if you have any concern. http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA400772/Allergic-to-Iodine.html
 
OP
Brandon Pattison

Brandon Pattison

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 25, 2012
Messages
2,828
Location
Michigan
I use Nonionized contrast Injections and also drinks doing CT studies here at the hospital, it's a little different than just drinking Iodine. Some people can and do have reactions to even the Noniodized contrast we use. So if anyone has an allergy to Iodine etc you better be darn sure you can drink this kind of stuff. The stuff we use has a very very low reaction rate, I have seen one person have a reaction in the past 3 years but let me tell you my friends it scared the hell out of me. The guy sets straight up in the middle of the CT Scan and started grabbing his chest with this OMG look on his face then he starts projectile vomiting all over the place.. the ER Doc gave him Benadryl and it fixed him but it was very unsettling for me. "And they call that a mild reaction" Here is a link that may help explain the differnces and help explain if you have any concern. http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA400772/Allergic-to-Iodine.html
Yeah, not cool. I do hump in Benadryl with me in case of bites and stings, JIC. I was going to get a Steripen for this type of thing to be on the safe side. Going to the doctor is about like the wife asking me to go impulse shopping at the mall. I read aggieland's link but I am the type of guy that needs Crayons and construction paper pictures to understand it when I am new. I will talk to my doctor to get the bottom line.
 

philw

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 26, 2012
Messages
151
Location
Colorado
What about using ascorbic acid to reduce the the iodine to iodide after the iodine does its thing? Would that prevent an allergic reaction? Ascorbic acid is the active ingredient in PA Plus tablets, it removes the iodine taste after treatment.
 
OP
Brandon Pattison

Brandon Pattison

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 25, 2012
Messages
2,828
Location
Michigan
What about using ascorbic acid to reduce the the iodine to iodide after the iodine does its thing? Would that prevent an allergic reaction? Ascorbic acid is the active ingredient in PA Plus tablets, it removes the iodine taste after treatment.
Good question!
 

philw

Senior Member
Joined
Feb 26, 2012
Messages
151
Location
Colorado
Hey franklin, check out this link from the Mayo Clinic, looks like the answer to your question is "no"

"Some people mistakenly believe that allergy to iodine or allergy to radiocontrast dye used in some lab procedures can cause reactions in people with a shellfish allergy. Reactions to radiocontrast material or iodine are not related."

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/shellfish-allergy/DS00987/DSECTION=prevention
 
Top