Polar Vortex Impact on Aoudad

I’m a native Texan. I don’t feel quite that strongly about them but I sure understand the sentiment. It’s been interesting (to say the least) to watch the status of aoudads go from pest to huntable exotic to prized mountain game over the past 10-15 years.

Almost the same with feral hogs - which I do feel that strongly about. I wish they would all disappear from the state. Nothing but pasture rats. But when I go out west and up north it seems all the toughest guides and outfitters I know want to do is come to Texas and shoot aoudads and hogs. I guess the grass is always greener.

BTW, if the weather gets bad enough down here to hurt the aoudad and hog population-we are all in trouble. 😊
A native of Tx myself and family is still there. Aoudads are worse imo because they will out compete native wildlife for feed and are immune to disease they spread to other sheep. Heck those pesky things are starting to spread further across the state.

S-3 ranch

WKR
Thats a wild picture of I10, did TxDOT shut it down?
Oh yeah they did, but in 4x4 mode I could make 45mph
yeah these aoudad are a problem invasive species, we grew up being told kill everything you see rams , ewe, lamb, can’t even put a dent in them now ranchers get high dollar for a ram

TP&W is crazy to not have a draw on them out here or even a bounty hunt by helicopter

hunter4life

Lil-Rokslider
The cold will not affect Aoudad at all. They do fine here in NM into the -10F range at times.

I would rather we have aoudads than nothing. Bighorn sheep take a fortune to just keep alive and then only offer a very limited number of tags. They can't intermingle with domestic sheep and essentially are only able to be kept alive on life support with a constant infusion of money.

It is being kept pretty quiet, but I have heard that all of the New Mexico bighorn herds but one have contracted pneumonia and lamb recruitment has dropped to essentially zero. This is even without interaction with aoudad in most herds. Get ready for NM sheep hunting opportunities to fall precipitously.

Sevens

WKR
I’m a native Texan. I don’t feel quite that strongly about them but I sure understand the sentiment. It’s been interesting (to say the least) to watch the status of aoudads go from pest to huntable exotic to prized mountain game over the past 10-15 years.

Almost the same with feral hogs - which I do feel that strongly about. I wish they would all disappear from the state. Nothing but pasture rats. But when I go out west and up north it seems all the toughest guides and outfitters I know want to do is come to Texas and shoot aoudads and hogs. I guess the grass is always greener.

BTW, if the weather gets bad enough down here to hurt the aoudad and hog population-we are all in trouble. 😊
I think the appeal to most for hogs and aoudad is that they’re plentiful and able to be hunted year around. I’m reminded of the mantra often used in Africa, “if it pays it stays.” While many see hogs and aoudads as invasive pests, many others make quite good money off of guiding hunts for them. Aoudad hunts have gotten pretty pricey these past few years, but remain “affordable” compared to any other sheep hunt.

While I think everyone would like to see bighorn populations look like aoudad’s, which we know won’t happen, I think many would have a hard time justifying getting rid of the aoudad in favor of trying to sustain an animal they’re most likely never going to get to hunt. Aoudad though, that’s a sheep hunt that you could afford to do every year or so. Hard to want to get rid of them because of it.

cbeard64

WKR
I think the appeal to most for hogs and aoudad is that they’re plentiful and able to be hunted year around. I’m reminded of the mantra often used in Africa, “if it pays it stays.” While many see hogs and aoudads as invasive pests, many others make quite good money off of guiding hunts for them. Aoudad hunts have gotten pretty pricey these past few years, but remain “affordable” compared to any other sheep hunt.

While I think everyone would like to see bighorn populations look like aoudad’s, which we know won’t happen, I think many would have a hard time justifying getting rid of the aoudad in favor of trying to sustain an animal they’re most likely never going to get to hunt. Aoudad though, that’s a sheep hunt that you could afford to do every year or so. Hard to want to get rid of them because of it.

Oh, I get it. And you are right no doubt.

None of which actually changes the fact that they are both invasives. I personally would prefer they disappear-just like I would prefer all the game farms Texas is now known for would disappear. I long for the days when Texas was known for its great hunting for native game instead of being the exotic hunting capital of America. Sadly, that ship has sailed though.