Polarized Sunglasses

Rokwiia

WKR
This past weekend, I lost a pair of polarized sunglasses while backpacking out. I had them for a while and don't remember the brand but they were mid-range cost wise.

I'm looking for suggestions for a new pair. I definitely want polarized and my inclination is not to get a top-flight brand like Oakley because I have a tendency to lose sunglasses.

There are brands such as Smith, Onos, Wiley X, Ray Ban, and many others. I'm daunted by the selection out there. Can you recommend a pair of polarized sunglasses?

Last edited:

Gearqueer

Lil-Rokslider
That’s a tough question to answer because I believe all those brands you mentioned are about as expensive as the rest. I’m a big polarized lens fan myself specifically preferring Oakley, but I ordered some off-brand polarized replacement lenses for my Oakley’s on Amazon a couple years ago and saved about $60 instead of buying Oakley lenses. I can hardly tell the difference any more.

I’d check out Amazon if I were you and research the shades through reviews. Tifosi is a brand that comes to mind. They aren’t quite premium pricing, but are good quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First off, Oakley is not a top flight sunglasses brand. Well, maybe the brand is, but the product isn't.

Smith is very nice. SunCloud if you want to save a few bucks.

Sunglasses, like tennis shoes, you're paying for $95 dollars worth of overhead and $5 worth of product.

TBHasler

WKR
I’d suggest watching on camofire- they usually offer multiple options from Native brand for around $60-$75. I’ve worn these and the lens quality is excellent for about half the price. If you need to replace them ASAP, i’d buy 2-3 pairs of the sun cloud brand and you’d have a backup pair or two for after your next trip when you don’t come home with them! You can find these online/amazon on sale and get 3 for about $100. Good luck - squinting sucks

Fitzwho

WKR
WileyX or Smith. I just lost a pair of WileyX that i’ve Had for a couple years and a few replacement lenses. Went back to my Costa’s but also picked up a pair of Smiths Guide Choice’s to have a backup, they are very nice.

Top Flight Brands for polarized are stuff like Costa Del Mar and Maui Jim’s.

OP
Rokwiia

Rokwiia

WKR
When I mentioned Oakley as "top flight", I was thinking in terms of cost. They're in the Costa range. Don't get me wrong, I'd buy a pair of Costa in a second because they get great reviews but would kick myself if I lost them hiking.

b_young

FNG
Go to the fishing section in walmart. There should be a cardboard case of YUM and/or Ozark Trail polarized sunglasses. They're usually about $4 a pair. Been using them for 4 or 5 years now and the same pair for at least a year now. They hold up fine and no big deal if you lose them as I tend to do from time to time.

Catahoula

WKR
Tifosi have decent polarized lenses. I use them for mountain biking and fishing. If I trash them or lose them I wouldn’t be all bent up about it versus my good pair I just leave in my truck for driving.

2ski

WKR
I like my Smiths a lot. The chromapop lenses make everything look a lot sharper. I love my Maui Jims. My brother has Serengeti and Ray Bans and we've both had Natives. I wouldn't mind a pair of the Dragon Alliance ones that float. All these are good sunglasses but cost may be prohibitive and as you said, you don't want to lose them. Most of the time I'm wearing gas station sunglasses. I've lost to many pairs to rivers and lakes. However I've had issues where they randomly break just from everyday use.

All polarized lenses are not created equal. There's a reason that you pay a lot for Maui Jims. I love my Maui Jims. Love them. And very light weight. However I don't take them just messing around. If I'm wearing gas staion polarized lenses all day on the water, my eyes will feel it. And cheap polarization wears off.

So for what you are looking for, I would say look at the Natives. If you can get them for a deal jump. And most sporting good stores have them so you can go check out styles. Native used to give incentives to people where if they sold 5 pairs they got a free one. So if you can find someone that's on their 3rd or 4th free pair, maybe they'd sell you one of theirs for a deal.

TheCougar

WKR
I love my Oakley Flaks. They are bulletproof. Step on them, they pop apart and you put them back together. Scratch the lenses, buy replacements on amazon. I lost a a pair this summer while fishing, and that pair had lasted 6 years and tour in the sandbox. Sounds like some folks don’t like Oakley, but I had a really good experience with those glasses.

archp625

WKR
I'm with a couple others on here. I love my Costa's. I do everything from drive, hunt and fresh/salt fish in mine. The ones I wear all the time are going on 8 years old. These have the 580G lenses. I believe you can still get 580P which are the poly lenses for a little cheaper. They used to have 400P but I think have discontinued those lenses. Whats nice is they have a ton of different lens colors for whatever your activity, not to mention the 100's of different frames.

Okhotnik

WKR
WileyX or Smith. I just lost a pair of WileyX that i’ve Had for a couple years and a few replacement lenses. Went back to my Costa’s but also picked up a pair of Smiths Guide Choice’s to have a backup, they are very nice.

Top Flight Brands for polarized are stuff like Costa Del Mar and Maui Jim’s.

go on Sierra trading post

Can pick up a nice pair of smith's polarized for about 70 bucks with discount code.Takesa bit of searching but they're on there