Polarized Sunglasses

Rich M

WKR
I live in polarized shades down here - sunny about every day, sight fishing, etc. That being said, years ago I bought an expensive pair of Ray Bans and a day later someone stole em. It was at work in an office of 10-13 people.

What I do now is stop in the fishing section of Walmart and grab a pair. My current pair is under the label PENN but they don't make em some guy in China does. Cost about $25. Wife recently got a new pair of polarized sun glasses as well and spent $25.

Guys I work with wear Costas. Don't get me wrong, they are nice glasses. I'm just not gonna drop any more $ than I have to cause a year or two down the road I'll need another pair anyway.

zacattack

WKR
This past weekend, I lost a pair of polarized sunglasses while backpacking out. I had them for a while and don't remember the brand but they were mid-range cost wise.

I'm looking for suggestions for a new pair. I definitely want polarized and my inclination is not to get a top-flight brand like Oakley because I have a tendency to lose sunglasses.

There are brands such as Smith, Onos, Wiley X, Ray Ban, and many others. I'm daunted by the selection out there. Can you recommend a pair of polarized sunglasses?

Maui Jim’s are the best. If you buy a pair you won’t buy anything else. I’ve been wearing them for 10 years now and have no complaints about them at all.

I will buy some cheaper ones for high risk activities where I might lose them like white water kayaking or something. But other than that I wear my Maui Jim’s

Billy E

FNG
I pay no more than $10 for sunglasses anymore. I had two pair of very nice Kaenon Variant sunglasses ($300 each) destroyed by the kids, and I gave up. Now if I want polarized, I go to the fishing dept at Walmart and find some. Probably run you $5.97. That might be a little steep. My current favorites were $3.99 at Kroger.

I would strongly suggest taking a look at these glasses. A couple buddies of mine created them. Great quality at a reasonable price. And if you spend any time on the water, they could pay for themselves in no-time. 100% floating glasses.

stump06

WKR
The Calcutta's off eBay are pretty good for around $20. I bought a set from Walmart's fishing section for $5 the other day and they're all I've been wearing lately. I wish the lens were a little darker but hard to complain for the price. I'm hard on equipment and these have held up well

Glass lens Ray-Ban Wayfarer. They fit me perfectly and are pretty indestructible since the nose rest is molded into the shape of the frame I add 2 diopter stick on reader lenses for close up work. No glue. Just wet and stick. To remove get wet and peel off. About $180.

Blake343

FNG
Several different sites like Steep & Cheep have good prices on varying makes/models. I've been using Natives for probably 10 year and love them. Easy to find cheap replacements online with a little looking.

The way I see (!) it, sunglasses are another piece of optical gear, and I always tend toward thinking my eyes deserve pretty good stuff. I don't have to select them based on price....high or low. I try to select mine based on what is best for my specific intended use. I also am 100% about lens quality and visual sharpness. The big motorcycle has a pair. Fishing has a pair. Driving has a pair. Hiking has a pair. I've never worn sunglasses on a hunt.

I once lost a pair of Maui Jim glasses on a trip, and replaced them with $20 glasses to get me through. Those $20 glasses were in the trash as soon as I got home. There was just too much visual distortion.

Brands: I've owned Maui Jim, Oakley, Serengeti, Ray Ban and several others. I tried on some Costas but couldn't get the fit I wanted. I'm most impressed with my Maui Jim glasses. I've owned 4 pair and not regretted a penny of the cost. I'm done with Ray Ban for myself. Too many problems with quality and too much hassle getting warranty service. I currently have a pair of rx Oakleys with Transition lenses. They have considerable wrap to them and offer great protection. I was a little wary of the temples (typical Oakley design) but they do a great job holding steady without noticeable pressure.

My wife was one of those people who just couldn't bring herself to spend $100+ on sunglasses. Then she decided to try out a pair by Maui Jim with the option to return them. Now she is a MJ devotee and says it was the best money she ever spent on her eyes. If you cornered me and said pick ONE brand you can trust and know has the quality you demand, I would have to go with Maui Jim. They aren't inexpensive, but I don't mind spending as much on my eyes as I do on my feet.

I've got uneven ears, like one is higher on my head then the other. I tried UA Core 2.0 two years ago and love it. More recently I got a polarized water beading impact resistant pair (storm core 2.0) $80 off ebay. and I love them too. The lenses are the best plastic lens that I know off and way better than any knockoff brands I've come across. The shape of the lenses fit me great and I adjust the nose piece and the stems till it feels like I'm not even wearing them.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Oregon

WKR
I work on the water. Sunglasses are a necessity.
I wear Natives.
It’s a comfort thing to me, they just fit perfectly and I forget they are even on my face.
Comfort is way more important than type of lense or warranty etc. Go to a place that sells them and try a bunch on.
I could never buy online without first placing on my face.

dubllung4

FNG
Costa 580Gs here too. I was always the one to go through 5 pairs of glasses a year from losing or breaking them. Going on 3 years with these Costa's and aside from a couple very small marks from dropping them they are fine. Try several pairs on as they all fit different.

NebraskaStickHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I also will put in a vote for costas at steepandcheap.com. I this the 580 G are the clearest glasses I have ever worn. I have own several Oakley and the fives squared polarized were the lightest and most comfortable of them and now they are really light since the wife lost them that’s what moved me to costas. I tried to go cheaper with shady rays and wear them for work ( concrete construction) and once they are too scratched up I will buy some costas to replace them.

huntineveryday

Lil-Rokslider
Go with Costas, you won't regret it. If you want to save some $ got pick some up off steepandcheap. They usually have several choices of the 400p lenses for <$100. I picked up some amber 400p costas a year or so ago for around $70. They are sharper and more comfortable than my polarized Oakley's, by far.

Bozz

FNG
Just an FYI if you have an FSA you can use it to buy the polarized glasses of your choosing if you get the doc to write you even the smallest script. Most are actually pretty open to it

ed2brute

FNG
I think the lenses in my Maui Jim sunglasses are sharper than my everyday glasses! I was a hold out on pricey sunglasses for a long time, but I'm a MJ devotee these days. I've been better about keeping them cased when not worn, using chums when being adventurous, etc.. than I was with others. Probably because I'm paranoid I'll lose them!