Polarized Sunglasses

Glasshole

FNG
Saw one other person recommend Native Eyewear. I went from years of Oakley use to Native and won't ever go back. They don't break the bank, and I have a wire keepers on my sunglasses. Keepers are the key! Hang them around your neck, they never get scratched, and they save food crumbs for snacking later.

lks2

FNG
I use sunclouds for everyday/ hunting and have a pair of costas for fishing. This combo works great for me!

Trial153

WKR
Just picked up a pair of Sun Cloud on Amazon as I busted my fantails cutting down a tree in the front yard..... been wearing them on and off for about 10 days in CO and NY. I am not even remotely happy with them. The clarity is noticeably off.

OP
Rokwiia

Rokwiia

WKR
I went hiking yesterday with a friend of mine. As you know, there are protocols in every sport. One such in hiking is you never allow a branch you've just walked through to snap back. You hold it and make sure the person behind you is not whipsawed by it.

That happened yesterday and a branch came flying back at me hitting me in the face. I always wear sunglasses when hiking and I was wearing a pair of clear, impact-rated, mil-spec sunglasses (Numa Tactical). I am reasonably confident that if those glasses had real glass lenses, they may well have shattered. Maybe not in pieces but certainly enough to ruin the sunglasses.

In my search for polarized sunglasses, I will cross off glass-lens sunglasses from my list. The marginal clarity gain of glass isn't worth an eye problem down the line. Henceforth, I'll only be looking at impact-rated sunglasses.

Edited: Since I'm already familiar with Numa Tactical, which I love, I may just get pair of dedicated polarized sunglasses from them. They are tough as nails.

Last edited:

Beendare

WKR
I've owned all of the top Sunglasses- all good ...but when I go Carp shooting....I use Costa 580's.

BTW, Costa gives you the width of the frame for a better fit.

Travis907

WKR
Love all three of my Costas. Great sunglasses and eyes aren’t something to skimp out on. Maui Jim makes great polarized glasses too but none of the good quality sunglasses companies are cheap.

OP
Rokwiia

Rokwiia

WKR
I decided to go with the Oakley Radar EV platform. That will enable me to get the frame then add specialized lenses based on the activity. Deep-water polarized lens, shallow-water polarized lens, Trail for hiking/backpacking under the tree canopy, Trail Torch, for hiking/backpacking in dappled sunlight, and four or five other specialty lenses. Considering my near accident the other day, each lens will be shatterproof.

Oakley Radar EV (extended view)

Thanks to each one of you for your thoughtful and helpful advice.

TSAMP

WKR
I didnt read the thread fully some perhaps its been said. Try Piranhas. They make a bunch of models but i run one called kite surf. Polarized and they float. They are lile 20 bucks, i usually by a 6er of.them on sale. I lost multiple oakleys fishing before i found these and never looked back.

Two Roads

Lil-Rokslider
Maui Jim. Oakley does not even compare. Go to Costco and find style you can live with, best price by far. And when you look into water w Maui, it is like HD tv. And warranty outstanding.

RickH

Lil-Rokslider
Camofire.com has a quite a few for sale today (Oakley, Smith, Suncloud).

Just got a pair of native ward shades. They are polarized and the fit is decent. Ordered off camofire about a week ago for around $50 I believe. Not bad considering msrp is labeled as $129. I'll probably use these alot for hiking and take out west with me for hunting. I use cheaper shades for every day use and have fishing specific ones for that. I'd give these a solid 7.5/10.
0c0c64ff2422d0cb20db3295158b9100.jpg
b54bee1013a10d5bbd81492521263d1b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

mtn5

FNG
Suncloud generally work well in the $35-$55 range at the local sporting goods store. I have a big head so finding ones that don't pinch, with a resulting headache, is always a problem.

I’ve been wearing Shady Rays for the last year. You can pick them up at their sales 40% off. They have the balance of price and quality and I don’t have to worry about being loosing them or being to rough on them. No question warranty. I just had to warranty my first pair. You pay $8 and they send you a new pair. The frame cracked after wearing them for a year.

WCB

WKR
hmmmm..I just hit up the gas station kiosk and grab a pair for anything active wise. Bolle for my truck or hanging out glasses.