Polarized Sunglasses

WMag338

WKR
I love my Maui Jim's. But I'm hard on my shades and lose them or break them often. Sunclouds are great. Not Maui Jim great, but a very good product at a good price that won't hurt your feelings if you lose or break them. I just got a pair of Revo's a few days ago to try. About $150 locally, so right in between Maui's and Sunclouds. So far so good, but don't notice the $100 premium over the Sunclouds though.

Tank9

FNG
My eyes are sensitive to the sun and I have tried shades from Oakley, Native and Costa. The Costa 580 glass lens with blue mirror lenses is by far the best pair of sunglasses I have ever worn. Perfect when on the water or in the snow on bright sunny days.

i have had them all, i'm over trying different glasses now.... costa is just the best. i have had several pair of MJ's which are great glasses, but they don't clean easily (smear rather than clean) and are more prone to scratch vs comparable costas. i have a few pair of costas currently, and a couple pair are several years old.

you can usually find good deals on costas if you look around (sierra is a good starting point if shopping)

if you don't want to spend the money, natives are great for mid priced glasses.... Revo also have very good lenses, and Serengeti are a sleeper.... used to be pretty popular, but not so much anymore, but they are great for the money, and are very durable lenses and clean easily.

i think just shopping around for a good deal and buying costas is a no brainer, but it's not the only good polarized glasses.... they are the best, and can be found for good deals.... i will never buy another brand at this point, because i have done the testing myself with probably 25 pairs of high end polarized glasses, and working on the ocean my whole life

Scoot

WKR
I love Costas but they are heavy- noticable after 14 hours on the water for sure. I end up wearing my Maui Jim's more because they weigh virtually nothing and I don't notice them at all.

WMag338

WKR
I think a lot of my opinion for sunglasses depends on the frames. I know I’ll deal with lesser quality lenses if I have a killer frame that fits well. The perfect storm is a good fitting frame with top notch lenses. When you find both you’ve hit the jackpot, that is until the MFG stops making that model.

ostagg

FNG
I am a big fan of Maui Jim. Can be more expensive but in my experience far superior lenses to many other brands. I have had Costas and like them but lenses on the Mauis are better

RCL

WKR
I have Tifosi that have been excellent.
Came with three sets of lense.
Use them for trail running, biking, and driving.
Not the best, but have held up well.

WRM

WKR
Smith. I live by the Gulf and a lot of dark water creeks. I have 3 pair and they will let you see what's going on in the water. Love the amber for fall hunts and spring turkey. Cuts the glare out.

Onski316

FNG
Definitely following. I was about to pull the trigger on some Oakley's but after reading some of these posts, I think I'm going to look into some others first. I'm so out of touch with what's cool or what works anymore, I thought Oakley's were still top of the line. lol.

WRM

WKR
I have Oakley polarized too. They pale in comparison to the Smith. Not even same league.

BBob

WKR
After a long slog over many years starting with Vuarnet in the 80’s, through Smith, Oakley, Bolle, etc… I’m currently liking my Maui Jim and Costa. Polarization wise I like the Maui a bit better while fly fishing in the west. The Costa glass clarity seems worthy too. Sort of a toss up for me on those two. I’m color blind so YMMV.

WRM

WKR
After a long slog over many years starting with Vuarnet in the 80’s, through Smith, Oakley, Bolle, etc… I’m currently liking my Maui Jim and Costa. Polarization wise I like the Maui a bit better while fly fishing in the west. The Costa glass clarity seems worthy too. Sort of a toss up for me on those two. I’m color blind so YMMV.
Sounds about like me. Never did try Costa, but had several Maui Jims. I stopped with Smith.

BBob

WKR
Sounds about like me. Never did try Costa, but had several Maui Jims. I stopped with Smith.
I’ll admit I haven’t tried Smith in a number of years and they may be back up there these days. I haven’t used them but Smith goggles are rated well and get great reviews for the snow.

Crusader

WKR
I have a question related to this topic--do all of these higher-end brands have UV protection in their lenses, in addition to being polarized?

My eyes are sensitive to the sun and I have tried shades from Oakley, Native and Costa. The Costa 580 glass lens with blue mirror lenses is by far the best pair of sunglasses I have ever worn. Perfect when on the water or in the snow on bright sunny days
Agree, haven’t worn better pair of shades than costa glass in the blue mirror. I’m mildly red-green colorblind, and that shade really makes greens pop and tones down the blues. If I lost my pair, I’d order another the same week, no question.

Might have to try some smiths.

BBob

WKR
I have a question related to this topic--do all of these higher-end brands have UV protection in their lenses, in addition to being polarized?
Any glass or plastic have UV protection by default but in some spectrum's it's limited. All the well known brands in general have 100% protection with additional coatings.

Costa 580 lens:

Beyond Polarized​

Costa 580 lenses were designed by in-house light spectrum experts to enhance colors because standard sunglass lenses fell short. The lens’ multipatented technology manages light by:

Absorbing Harmful High-Energy Blue Light (HEV)​

• Cuts haze and blur for greater clarity
  • In addition to 100% protection from UV light, 580 technology also absorbs HEV light known to cause macular degeneration, pterygium, cataracts and other eye diseases

WRM

WKR
Looks like I'm going to have to try Costa now too. When you get into the price point of Smith, Costa, Maui J, etc I think it boils down to what fits your face and what seems to work best for you. I have Smiths in different lens types and wear them totally dependent on what I'm doing and what the weather is doing.

CashVeo

FNG
I wear sun glasses in Arizona 40 hours a week. 4 years ago made the switch from Maui Jim to The Costa 580 glass lens with blue mirror lenses. Won’t go back. Scratch resistant and great clarity.