Polarized Sunglasses

I have some Costa 580Ps and there is some film on them that will not come off. I've used every cleaner under the sun trying to get them to clear up and its impossible. Been that way since the day I got them. Extremely frustrating to say the least.

Pigdog

Lil-Rokslider
I use relatively cheap glasses for driving and every day use and Costas for fishing. I’ve had my costas for years and years, but go through at least one or two pairs of the cheaper ones a season. Usually they get lost.

I’ve been wearing Natives for 15 years. I first got them for their warranty, then You could ship your damaged glasses back and they would send you a new pair at no charge. Now it’s a $30 processing fee after the first year but still, a fresh pair of glasses whenever you want for $30 keeps me loyal. Plus I’ve found a few of their models to fit better than other brands.

Fitzwho

WKR
I have run Oakleys, Wiley X, Maui Jims, and Costas. Currently running two different pairs of Smiths. Find any of those with a frame and lens color you like and go for it. Broke my Oakleys and Maui's. Wife lost my Wiley Xs and my mother in law put my Costas up somewhere when I left them on the counter at her house a few weeks ago, never to be seen again.

Steep and Cheap (.com) has some pretty popping deals on Costas and a few pairs of Smiths.

cjleon23

FNG
Costas. Let my father try them on. He enjoyed them so much that he ended up keeping them. I got myself another pair. Use them daily and offshore fishing. Comfortable compared to my other glasses.

I’m using smiths with glass lenses and a copper tint. Luv em for fishing and other activities. The glass lenses do start to get heavy after a full day of use. I may try Costas with the poly carb lenses if I can ever wear these Smiths out, they are well built!

I am having cataract surgery in 10 days and having corrective lens implanted. I will not have to wear glasses again and am in the market for a good quality pair of polarized sunglasses. I have been wearing glasses for over 40 years so I have no experience in a good pair of sunglasses so I need some suggestions. I fish a lot and hunt some, mostly upland game birds and deer hunting.
Thanks
wmd
Costa - invest in the glass polarized - great for fishing and hunting

From what I gather from reading online, Costa and Maui Jim are the two leaders in lens quality and all others are somewhat distantly behind, but I'm certainly no expert.

This. All day. My wife only used cheap sunglasses until I bought her some MJ’s against her better wishes. After the first day she didn’t understand what took her so long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

another good quality lens that's easier to clean than Maui's is Revo. they're up there in lens clarity.

I want to like Maui's, but they just don't clean worth a darn, even with Flents lens wipes (which are cheap at Costco and awesome) they smear bad. I work on the ocean, and have for the past 20yrs, and that's where eyes really take a beating. I like Maui lens quality, they are right up there (though the blue Hawaii lenses have some lens glare)

the costa 580P clean the easiest of any poly lens I have used (their 580G is the same in that regard) and the 580P have excellent scratch resistance for poly... again, the best of any I have used, with Serengeti being good in durability too.

the 580G are really scratch resistant, and i'm not as careful as I should be with them cleaning them, and wiping salt water off is a lens killer... I do it a lot with a paper towel if i'm working and in a hurry.

my 580p costas are the sunrise color, which I wanted for fog and low light, and they are awesome for that purpose.

on more of a budget, Natives are good for the price... they clean easily (which is important to me) they are middle of the road durable, and have surprising lens quality.

if I had a list of polarized shades I have worn, my top 3 would be Costa, Smith, Maui, in that order. if Smith's had a better range of frame options, I would own a couple pair... they are nice, just not a fan of their style, they don't fit me great.

back in the day I had a set of Oakley's that wouldn't die, and were awesome, but I have owned a few pair since, and for probably the last 15yrs, I have not liked any I have tried, and I have bought several pairs in that time... the last pair legitimately sucked in lens quality, and I gave them to a buddy I work with.

Revo would be a top contender if their lenses were tougher. i'm hard on glasses, and they scratch pretty easily. if you are careful, and clean them like you're supposed to, they are really nice, on par with Maui

Costa is a stand alone for me, and since getting and liking their poly lenses too, i'm done trying different brands... unless something really changes, i'll only buy Costa.... they have it all for my needs.

I do agree that MJ’s can be a bitch to clean sea spray and salt water off of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zacattack

WKR
I am having cataract surgery in 10 days and having corrective lens implanted. I will not have to wear glasses again and am in the market for a good quality pair of polarized sunglasses. I have been wearing glasses for over 40 years so I have no experience in a good pair of sunglasses so I need some suggestions. I fish a lot and hunt some, mostly upland game birds and deer hunting.
Thanks
wmd

I’ve been rocking Maui Jim’s for the last 11 years and will probably never buy anything else as long as they are in business.

Broomd

WKR
I'm an admitted sunglass freak, if you are serious about eye protection wraps are the way to go. They give full coverage from wind and light. Glass lenses are simply the best option. I speak from 25 years of experience.

There are several good options out there besides Costa. Costas are mediocre quality, I have three pair of their best frames and speak with experience. I like 'em, but they aren't the best option. Their lenses fit loose in the frames and they creak when handled.
Companies offering glass wraps both new and discontinued are Ray Ban (think Dirty Harry) Maui Jim, Costa Del Mar, Smith, Serengeti, and Vaurnet. I have all of these brands and will try to attach a pic of at least some of them.
Among these choices Vaurnet (France) is top dog. They can be tougher to source but will be worth the effort.
Serengeti is also excellent. Their "Trento" wrap oozes quality with excellent polarization, rubber-covered ear areas, and tight-fitting, durable lenses. They rock.
Insist on GLASS and polarized, don't skimp on polycarbonite or plastic! Poly lenses will be scratched and worthless far quicker than durable glass. Most of my glass lenses are 10-15 years old and are as nice as the day I bought them. Incrementally heavier but worth that minor detail.
Here are about half of my glass wrap collection.fullsizeoutput_ef1.jpeg

Last edited:

kuhn4

Lil-Rokslider
Absolutely Costa 580p. I tried the 580g and while the clarity was great too I didn’t care for the extra weight of the glass lenses.

Same here. I have three pairs of 580G that don't get worn nearly as much as my one pair of 580P. The larger models in 580G are a little too heavy for me for all day wearing.