Polarized Sunglasses

Krieg Hetzen

Lil-Rokslider
I run a pair of Costa Blokes with the 580g lens. I don’t notice the weight at all and feel that are their particular price point I prefer them over the various Oakley, UA, Smith, Native, Ray Bans and SPY’s I have tried on. I have a big head and finding a frame that doesn’t pinch while still staying secure on my face and not sliding down my nose is usually a challenge. I think the biggest thing will be how comfortable the frame is just like with normal glasses. If its not comfortable you wont wear it unless you have to. The points for Costa are the lens quality is top notch, I’ve had mine over a year now and there are no scratches to be seen... thats with 3 girls in the house that think they’re a toy (9, 7, 3). I don’t notice any optical distortion on the lens, the polarizing is easy on the eyes and when worn all day they don’t make my nose or ears sore. I like them enough that I am going to order a couple more of the 580g Blokes in different tints (I have the amber one for inshore fishing/creeks and streams).

Broomd

WKR
Meh, this thread reinforces the old saying...'Ignorance is bliss.'
For the money I spent the three pair of Costas I own reflect some of the poorest build quality sunglasses I own, but I do like the fit and the clarity of the 580 lenses. A guy can wiggle the lenses inside a Costa frame and they actually move---Rayban, Serengeti, Vaurnet, Smtih, MJ would never market such a poor product.
I may sell mine if any of you Costa fanboys are interested....they are as new with cases.
PM me.....

tuffcity

WKR
Serengeti are my go to. I'm a big fan of the sedona photochromic polarized offerings from Serengeti for fishing. They lighten enough to allow use on cloudy days which is great for sightfishing.

What he said. For my eyes Serengeti seem to be the most optically correct.

RC

OP
wmd

wmd

Lil-Rokslider
Left eye done today and the right eye on Wednesday. I bought na pair of Costa Blackfin with 580 glass and the lenses are tight as can be in the frames.
Thanks for the suggestions.
wmd

JBradley500

Lil-Rokslider
I got two pairs of 580g Costas for 75 bucks each at a going out of business sale at Gander. I love those glasses, but the price made it a lot easier to try them out. I won't be without them now.

Smith. Great customer service. I like Costa lens, but frames are lacking. The fit is just as important as the glass when wearing 12+hours on the water.
Ray Bans are now junk, will never waste my $ on RB again. MJ are nice too.

Last edited:

Bulldog2nine

Lil-Rokslider
Costa. I have had my pair of Fantails for 10+ years. Last year, with both lenses cracked, the rubber completely missing from the frames and super glue resin, I sent them in for a rebuild. $100 later, I was sent a brand new pair of 580G Fantails. I have had Maui Jim's and they were equally as nice. Smith is a somewhat distance third but if i was ballin' on a budget, they would be my first look.

Two Roads

Lil-Rokslider
Maui Jims. Period. You can look right thru the water. Excellent in snow. Warranty and service are outstanding. Break the frame, send them in and back they come perfect.

Stalker69

WKR
Heavy glare, Is a good place to look they have a bunch of “ custom” options also. I have bought a couple pairs of prescription sunglasses from them, and they are great.

Twinsfan

FNG
I am having cataract surgery in 10 days and having corrective lens implanted. I will not have to wear glasses again and am in the market for a good quality pair of polarized sunglasses. I have been wearing glasses for over 40 years so I have no experience in a good pair of sunglasses so I need some suggestions. I fish a lot and hunt some, mostly upland game birds and deer hunting.
Thanks
wmd
Love my Costas!

I am a polarized sunglasses addict. I got my first pair of prescription ones issued to me about 20 years ago when I first went to antarctica. They are old Bolle glacier glasses(I still have them and use them every day), but I have also had Julbo and Cebe glacier glasses over the years.

I can't tell you what to get now, but I will say that if you start using a really dark polarized lens, the reflection from the back can become an issue. Thus the leather side blockers that make them into a goggle more or less. People always look at me like a dork but once you've had those leather things on the side, there's no going back - they make a tremendous difference in reducing eye stress in big environments.

JATails

FNG
Maui Jim's all the way. Good customer service and warranty. Lots of styles to choose from but whatever you go with get their glass lens. Yes, glass is a little bit heavier but it performs much better all around. My second choice would probably be Smith. I've had Coasta's 580 lens and they didn't work for my style.

If you're hunting with em, make sure they are nonreflective. You don't wanna be flashing your location all day.
MOOSEMAN2.jpg

Rolen

FNG
I picked up a set of leupold glasses a few months back after my Oakleys died after two years. So far I really like them they fit great and glass is clear and they seem tough no scratches yet!

Costa, Maui Jim and Serengeti for top end.

I’ve mostly migrated to Edge because the lens quality is on par with Oakley, they’re ANSI rated and I can buy a dozen or two for the cost of one pair of top shelf specs.