Polarized Sunglasses

wmd

Lil-Rokslider
I am having cataract surgery in 10 days and having corrective lens implanted. I will not have to wear glasses again and am in the market for a good quality pair of polarized sunglasses. I have been wearing glasses for over 40 years so I have no experience in a good pair of sunglasses so I need some suggestions. I fish a lot and hunt some, mostly upland game birds and deer hunting.
Thanks
wmd

From what I gather from reading online, Costa and Maui Jim are the two leaders in lens quality and all others are somewhat distantly behind, but I'm certainly no expert.

303TrophyHusband

Lil-Rokslider
I really like the Costas as well, also a lot of good offerings from Oakley and Smith, lens tint really depends on personal preference, I prefer a copperish tint for most of my fly fishing and hunting applications but like a darker lens for driving.

mlgc20

WKR
I used to wear Oakley and then moved to Costa. I have since gone to Maui Jim and love them. Although they are on the expensive side. I still like Costa. Wouldn't wear Oakley even for free.

Rich M

WKR
I use the $15-$25 ones from Walmart. Had a $200 pair of Rayban get swiped and swore I'd not do that again.

Amber/brown for fishing contrast, darker for driving.

As for hunting - you could get a nice pair of ambermatics - yellow lenses that tint according to sunlight.

Wapiti1

WKR
Smith and Serengeti are my go to. I'm a big fan of the sedona photochromic polarized offerings from Serengeti for fishing. They lighten enough to allow use on cloudy days which is great for sightfishing.

Jeremy

Costa for polarized. I prefer glass 580 lenses as I believe they are more durable. FWIW, Costa has a warranty department that has always given me outstanding service. I have never had an issue with workmanship, my interactions have been replacement due to my negligence. Best I have used by far, beating Smith and various mid-tier glasses like Ray-Ban, Oakly, etc... for fishing anyways.

I've had many many pairs of high end sunglasses over the years, Ray Ban, Costa, Oakley, Smith, Revo, Maui Jim, etc etc. The only lens I've ever had that I didn't scratch all up were the Costa 580G but they are heavy. In fact so heavy that I gave them away. But I'm rough on glasses. My favorites are Oakley Flak 2.0s but the lens aren't anywhere nears as durable as the glass ones.

Vaultman

WKR
I have been an Oakley guy for 20 years (only two pair in that time frame). Guess I never knew better, as that was when I was a freshman in college.
I recently switched to Maui Jim. NO COMPARISON! MJ's are so much easier on the eyes. Never wore Costa's out of the store so I do not know about them, but from what I have heard Costa and MJ are the top two, and all others follow distant behind.

Costa, smith, maui Jim, ray ban...they are all great. every rep will tell their brand is the best for different reasons. reallity is they are all very similar.

Costa 580G. I have two pair of Fantails and they're great.

I had an issue with one pair after a few years. Put in a warranty claim online, shipped them and they took my lenses and put them in new frames. Worth the 8 bucks shipping and the upfront cost to have a nice pair of sunglasses with a lifetime warranty.

jt4

WKR
Maui Jim. No question. I’m on my third pair now only bc I lost a pair in the ocean. Can honestly say I’ll never own less than 2 pairs at a time or another brand. Extremely good customer service too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CodyB

Lil-Rokslider
Absolutely Costa 580p. I tried the 580g and while the clarity was great too I didn’t care for the extra weight of the glass lenses.

Ive heard great things about the Costas but no personal use yet. I have used Hobie polarized glass lenses and they are epic. Ive used them for hunting, fishing etc. and because they are glass, they are much more difficult to get scratched. Ive had mine for 12 years and they literally are still perfect. Ive sat on them, stepped on them, lost them and found them and they are still great. Because they are glass they are a fuzz heavier but they are well worth it in my opinion. I use the "woody". Here's the link:

I have used costa for many years. While I believe they have great glass (580G) probably the best glass, I think they are built poorly and have had so many issue with them. Sent 3 pairs back this last year alone for repairs. While they have always made it good even replaced the entire glasses (on plastic frame models) you still have to pay for shipping as well as a small repair cost. Saying that I put up with the issues.

I have had great luck with Maui Jim even oakley with years of use and abuse without issue.

the flexible frames on some Maui Jim and them being ultralight is pretty cool features can’t even tell your wearing any