Polartec NeoShell Experiences

Appalaskan

Lil-Rokslider
From what I could find searching on Rokslide, seems like there’s a dearth of talk on Polartec NeoShell. I’ve found more on hiking sites. For those that have used it in the field, what are your overall impressions? Comparisons to other waterproof membranes?

I have a Rab and just bought a Mountain Hardwear for skiing. The Rab is about 5 years and it will wet out in big rain. The MH has been money on the slopes. I run a FirstLite baselayer with a Patty Nanoair. I can seriously ski in 0 to 40 degree temps with no overheating. It breathes awesome. Now if the wind is howling you can feel a little more chill, will not break the wind like goretex. For hunting I still use goretex for that reason.

OP
Appalaskan

Appalaskan

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Rab and just bought a Mountain Hardwear for skiing. The Rab is about 5 years and it will wet out in big rain. The MH has been money on the slopes. I run a FirstLite baselayer with a Patty Nanoair. I can seriously ski in 0 to 40 degree temps with no overheating. It breathes awesome. Now if the wind is howling you can feel a little more chill, will not break the wind like goretex. For hunting I still use goretex for that reason.

Which models of the Rab and MH are those? For waterproofing, do you see a difference between NeoShell and Gore-Tex or is it just the wind factor?

slivver71

FNG
i have a westcomb neoshell for lighter rain and an REI eVent shell for heavy rain or snow. the neoshell is insanely comfortable, light and stretches very well. the eVent is a bit on the thicker side, but is also very comfortable. the eVent has never gotten rained out, but the neoshell will after a while. eVent is much better with the wind compared to neoshell.