Pole barn build

Anyone have any info or suggestions? Looking at building a 30x32 with 13ft eaves. Been talking to Hansen although their prices seem a bit high...around 9k. I do like the fact of complete kit, so to speak. Any other good companies to look at? Will be doing most of the build by myself with a couple buddies. Any info would be great. Thanks in advance.

wyosteve

WKR
Not sure where you're at in Colo., but Ft. Collins has a Sutherland's store. I got my 28x32 from them about 5 yrs. ago when they had a store in Cheyenne. They did the complete kit, including drawings. Started augering holes late afternoon on a Thurs. and put last piece on by noon Sunday. That's was with myself and 3 buddies. My kit included overhead door with installation and side door. Mine only has 10' sidewalls and cost was about 7k at that time.

rayporter

WKR
having built 2 pole barns i do have some idea of what you are going through. the last was a kit from southerland. i got help to put the roof on and finished it my self. it as a lot less than 9000 $ 26 years ago. but it is what it is.

my first was a 30 x 30 and posts were 10 ft on center. ...and i cussed it every time i wanted to back a truck into it. the 10 ft wide center was nearly impossible to get a tractor or truck down.

the barn i have now is 12 ft on centers and much better. it started out as a 36x 60 and i added a shed off each side to make it 60x60.

make sure you get enough pitch for snow loads.

if you have any idea at all what you want any lumber yard will figure what you need and fix you up.

elkguide

WKR
Built several but always figured and ordered my own materials.

As to the 9k.... don't know what all that is included nor what prices are out your way.
Doesn't sound way off though.

that ain't a pole barn, THIS is a pole barn.......grin

IMG_2431.jpg

IMG_0903.jpg

jmez

WKR
I've been pricing buildings and that seems pretty high if you are going to be doing some of the work yourself. I'm needing a pole barn and another structure. Contractors have been quoting me right around $10/sq foot for an unfinished pole barn. That is with me doing nothing but writing a check.

OP
W
Hey thanks guys appreciate the info. I am in Evergreen, CO so snow loads are definitely a factor. Going to pull pernits that require detailed plans. Not sure if I would save much money paying an architect to draw it up and going directly to a lumberyard versus a company like Hansen.

jmez i would be curious about specificially what is included in that price. Roofing, siding, windows and doors? How do the construct and with what materials.

I am going to use bigfoots and sono tubes vs concreting the posts directly in the ground.

JigStick

WKR
We are spoiled here in PA. We just go contract the amish to build our pole barns. they can get this thing up and done in no time at all.

cnelk

WKR
Whaledriver

If the plans you have are what you like, you'll need to take them to a Colorado licensed structural engineer and get his stamp on them for the AHJ [Authority Having Jurisdiction] prior to submitting and approval.

I pay about $400 for an engineer's stamp on plans

Usually the plans from Sutherlands or other lumber outlets need a little more 'engineering', especially where you are located.

Your cost /sf isnt too out of line

rayporter

WKR
engineers stamp for a pole barn?? that boggles my mind.

i took a chain saw and cut down oak and ash trees to be sawn at the local saw mill and bolted up the interior stalls with 5/8 inch bolts

i gave it my stamp of approval and all was good. it has been standing since 1975.

jmez

WKR
Ground to finish. No concrete floor. Water to the inside and lighting on the inside. 2 overhead doors, 1 walk through door, no windows, skylighting down both sides.

Beendare

WKR
Ground to finish. No concrete floor. Water to the inside and lighting on the inside. 2 overhead doors, 1 walk through door, no windows, skylighting down both sides.

No concrete? How are you going to get a full court basketball setup in that thing for your kids? <grin>

Oh, its probably class2 gravel base for astro turf for your budding soccer stars......

jmez

WKR
Football and wrestling at my house!!

It is for work, trotting horses, when the weather is bad so dirt floor.

jmez, seems like $10 sq. ft if pretty cheap. Even with no permitts and engineering. Are we talking all metal roofing and siding? What material and thickness of roof sheeting. 5/8" osb?. Any wall framing or sheeting, or just attaching siding to the posts? 6x6 PT sunk in the grd in concrete?. I would love to know more specifics.

bwlacy

WKR
Wow $10/sq ft is a steal! Around here it's at least double that from a builder. I did my own 24 x 48 with 10' eaves. With permits, excavation, materials and concrete floor I have about $17k in it. Still need to run power and water to it. Just the building materials was about $12k. That was in the summer of 14, not sure what it would be at this time.

OP
W
Whaledriver

If the plans you have are what you like, you'll need to take them to a Colorado licensed structural engineer and get his stamp on them for the AHJ [Authority Having Jurisdiction] prior to submitting and approval.

I pay about $400 for an engineer's stamp on plans

Usually the plans from Sutherlands or other lumber outlets need a little more 'engineering', especially where you are located.

Your cost /sf isnt too out of line

Thanks. Hansen has wet stamped plans that are spec for my area. My limited research indicates 1k or so for plans brought up to local specs by an engineer. Hansen seems to be more of a one stop shop that might save me some time but not necessarily any money.