Police shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtjimbo

Lil-Rokslider
Has there always been this many police shootings and just lack of backlash and the world is changing and that's why we hear so much about it now? Or have they escalated... I'm sure there will be some disagreements but a lot of them over the last few years have seemed justifiable others not so much ... I guess what I'm getting at is, is this actually a new thing or something that's been going on that we just didn't hear and talk about more until the last 10 years ?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

bsnedeker

WKR
This thread will be locked in.....3.....2....1

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I will say this. If you base "justified" off what social media or any news organization reports. Well, I will just say you may not have the full story. Investigations take a long time to complete. Think for yourself. Don't let an outside source think for you.

brsnow

WKR
My uncle was police officer in Detroit for over 40 years, his proudest accomplishment was not having to fire his weapon during that time.

OP
mtjimbo

mtjimbo

Lil-Rokslider
I wasn't trying to stir anything up I was asking a genuine question in a general thread I just didn't ever remember this like it is now.. I didn't think I was doing anything wrong and had no Ill intentions it was only a question

OP
mtjimbo

mtjimbo

Lil-Rokslider
No this ain’t it. I’m pretty sure the precedent was set that these posts don’t belong on Rokslide. I won’t be replying any longer but this bring nothing of value to this community. It’s just stirring up shit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I wasn't trying to start anything at all I was asking a genuine question because I didn't used to remember all this. Had nothing to do with starting something. You did that. I was asking a genuine question. No ill intent what so ever. I'll delete this if it's gonna bother people that bad. I was just simply asking

I wasn't trying to stir anything up I was asking a genuine question in a general thread I just didn't ever remember this like it is now.. I didn't think I was doing anything wrong and had no Ill intentions it was only a question

Alright sorry. I may have jumped the gun. These always seem like bait for a fight. For what it’s worth we get more volume of news on all subjects. We create more information in a day now than we did in decades not so long ago.

Unsurprisingly this is a pretty challenging topic to find good data on. There appears to be a high quality source on WashingtonPost but I don’t have a membership.

The best high quality source I found had a graph from 2004-2015 and the rate per 100,000 curve was nearly flat.

OP
mtjimbo

mtjimbo

Lil-Rokslider
Alright sorry. I may have jumped the gun. These always seem like bait for a fight. For what it’s worth we get more volume of news on all subjects. We create more information in a day now than we did in decades not so long ago.

That's the sorta answer I was looking for. The last thing I wanna do is stir anything up or start a fight there is already to much of that. Just curious on people's opinion of why we hear it so much now and never used too or if it just didn't used to happen as much as all. Sorry to ruffle feathers just was curious at work.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member

Have you ever saw "JUSTIFIED" shooting on the news? Why not?
Where's the hard numbers comparing shootings of the past with those of present? How can you have a informed discussion without any data? All you can do now is get others opinions, will that be enough to sway your own opinion on this subject?

Edit: someone beat me to this while i was typing

No this ain’t it. I’m pretty sure the precedent was set that these posts don’t belong on Rokslide. I won’t be replying any longer but this bring nothing of value to this community. It’s just stirring up shit.

I think the original post is a legitimate question and not inflammatory at all. He's not commenting on the politics or issues he's just Asking a question. Someone with more info or time could give that answer.

My guess is that like many things it is a function of the 24hour news cycle. There is probably roughly the same amount of police shootings now as there were 10 or 15 years ago. But like anything else, when it becomes a focus of the media they run it on the news anytime they hear about it. Whereas 15 years ago, they may have skipped over some of then and you never would have heard about it.

Bo Pelini is a perfect example of college football. Bo Was always firery and screaming. But after a couple blow ups they put a camera on him all the time, and then ESPN would have a picture of him screaming when they discussed Nebraska, even though that's want how he was all the time, after the media caught on they watched like a hawk for when it happens! Some thing with some baseball managers, the cameras almost have a gotcha mentality.

This has nothing to do with right or wrong, or the 10000 reason of why a police shooting happens.

OP
mtjimbo

mtjimbo

Lil-Rokslider
Unsurprisingly this is a pretty challenging topic to find good data on. There appears to be a high quality source on WashingtonPost but I don’t have a membership.

The best high quality source I found had a graph from 2004-2015 and the rate per 100,000 curve was nearly flat.
Huh that's really interesting this is the kinda stuff I was curious about

The topic is actually pretty well covered on Wikipedia as well.

Many studies are showing that in the overwhelming majority of shootings the offender is armed, and that the rate of unarmed shootings is dropping.

Last edited:
OP
mtjimbo

mtjimbo

Lil-Rokslider
Do we not hear enough about this on every other platform? I get on here to hear and talk about hunting, not more of the same junk that is on TV.
I asked in a general thread. I felt like this was a place with people that do a lot of research I figured I might get an answer that was logical not anger based.

OP
mtjimbo

mtjimbo

Lil-Rokslider
I will say this. If you base "justified" off what social media or any news organization reports. Well, I will just say you may not have the full story. Investigations take a long time to complete. Think for yourself. Don't let an outside source think for you.
Absolutely understand that

*zap*

WKR
Thugs resisting arrest wind up getting shot, that's the way that type of shit goes. I have no sympathy for them or their supporters. Violent protests about how these incidents turn out are being passed off as peaceful protests now......k harris was talking today about securing the right to protest peacefully as the people of kenosha wi are doing......what a crock of horse shit that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.