Political threads

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Have you considered creating a "Non-Hunting" board where people can talk about miscellaneous topics? I get that "General Discussion" would contain that stuff, but sometimes General Discussion is still a place where we can talk about hunting topics that might not fall into the boards that are provided. For example, I did a "how do you handle water in late season?" thread recently. It didn't seem to fall into just a "gear" discussion, so I put it in General Discussion. That's hunting related, whereas "What are you thoughts about the Kung Flu" is not...

Good thoughts, and you posted in the correct forum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Stay clear of puting non hunting sections in the forums. Everyone turns into a shit show. AT and Bowsite are prime examples. You will be guaranteed to develop subset of members that do nothing but post on and stay in those forums and contribute nothing else in so far as what the ethos of this site is. The best thing we can do is keep politics out of here.

Thanks for the insights

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
BTW this is probably obvious but there ought to be some leniency for hunting-related politics. I think it would be reasonable to argue the merits of various conservation bills, public-land access efforts, hunting interest groups, predator introduction initiatives, etc. Shouting matches over who should be president, not so much.

Agreed

Trial153

WKR
Yes, but then the members who do that will be safely quarantined away from the rest of us! The rest of the boards can then focus on hunting.

But yeah, I'm fine with a "no politics at all, unless directly related to hunting" policy.
The problem is that via Google and internet searches all that vitriol is floating on the web, and it's all attached to Rokside.
So for example, that is why Pat on bowsite not only did away with the CF he scrubbed it clean. The by product of that was those useless members migrated to the main forum and then other forums, like a couple that were here and shortly expelled.

There is no middle ground with these people people, if you give them a platform they will always use it to spread division.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
The problem is that via Google and internet searches all that vitriol is floating on the web, and it's all attached to Rokside.
So for example, that is why Pat on bowsite not only did away with the CF he scrubbed it clean. The by product of that was those useless members migrated to the main forum and then other forums, like a couple that were here and shortly expelled.

There is no middle ground with these people people, if you give them a platform they will always use it to spread division.
that is a great point! @Ryan Avery agree?

Broomd

WKR
Right now life is inundated with political crap and overall bad news; it's vital to be able to to escape it for the sake of one's sanity. When we aren't hiking the hills or sitting stand it sure is great to be here, doing the next best thing, talking about doing the things that we enjoy.

That said, there are certain political issues that have a direct affect on our lives as gun owners and hunters. Knowledge is power with those instances. Some moderated banter is important.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Right now life is inundated with political crap and overall bad news; it's vital to be able to to escape it for the sake of one's sanity. When we aren't hiking the hills or sitting stand it sure is great to be here, doing the next best thing, talking about doing the things that we enjoy.

That said, there are certain political issues that have a direct affect on our lives as gun owners and hunters. Knowledge is power with those instances. Some moderated banter is important.
The problem lays in moderation of said banter. Everyone thinks their being treated unfairly because someone else got to express thier views and now thier opinion is being muffled. It's tiring, people are not posting to exchange information just solidify thier position. Thier opinion is always right and everyone else is an illogical idiot.

I think Rokslide has done an excellent job in letting these discussions run there course in a constructive manner. The problem is now a few members have taken on themselves an agenda to push certain issues and it's distracted from the purpose of the community--exchanging of information. What a huge benefit it is to get first hand knowledge from like minded users. Members here have way more common interests than differences, i don't see why the sudden effort to continuesly spotlight those contentious issues.

Last edited:

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
The problem lays in moderation of said banter. Everyone thinks their being treated unfairly because someone else got to express thier views and now thier opinion is being muffled. It's tiring, people are not posting to exchange information just solidify thier position. Thier opinion is always right and everyone else is an illogical idiot.

I think Rokslide has done an excellent job in letting these discussions run there course in a constructive manner. The problem is now a few members have taken on themselves an agenda to push certain issues and it's distracted from the purpose of the community--exchanging of information. What a huge benefit it is to get first hand knowledge from like minded users. Members here have way more common interests than differences, i don't see why the sudden effort to continuesly spotlight those contentious issues.

You’re a wise man Sam. And that’s why you’re one of our moderators

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
It didn't seem to fall into just a "gear" discussion, so I put it in General Discussion. That's hunting related, whereas "What are you thoughts about the Kung Flu" is not...

Ya, except how the Kung Flu is handled by every state has a direct impact on hunters possibly trying to hunt those states. So even something as non-political as a virus becomes political with how it's handled.....and is then pertinent even to hunters. See how hard it is to escape politics?

Trial153

WKR
This how you escape poltics posting about Coivd changes to regs for hunting and fishing. It really isn't hard unless your type of person that lives to inject their partisan political agenda into every conversation.

Here you go...all in one place. Links and all.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ya, except how the Kung Flu is handled by every state has a direct impact on hunters possibly trying to hunt those states. So even something as non-political as a virus becomes political with how it's handled.....and is then pertinent even to hunters. See how hard it is to escape politics?
Seems like Ryan clearly laid this out in post#1
0c12c9c44f4a8c1a41bc547fc5041b17.jpg

I'll try to further simplify it for you.
If your posting more about your political idealistic views instead of the thousands of hunting centric related topics on Rokslide that's a problem.
If your continuesly trying to start political based threads that's a problem.
This community would like to see less problems associated with the above so change or be shown the exit.

Last edited:

RCB

WKR
In theory, sure. But... go read that thread. Has nothing to do with hunting. It's not a "how will covid affect hunting?" thread (though there have been threads about that). It's a "what are your thoughts?" thread, which encourages people to just spout off whatever junk is in their brain. 4500 posts of that.

OP
Ryan Avery

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Well said, @realunlucky!

I understand that some politics are hunting or 2A related. But like I said at the top. If you are just here to stir up shit in those threads or you only start those types of threads, I am talking to you. I have already started the purge.

WRO

WKR
If you are here just to post on the political threads we are going to start helping you leave the site.

Thanks!
Thank you..

I have a rule in my boat, no discussion politics or religion.

I remember taking a client in Alaska back to the ramp and giving him back his money because that rule was too much to follow.

Before I had that rule, I've been apart of some absolute disasters with people arguing.

No more.

My .02 is this is a hunting site to bring people together.

There's Twitter, Facebook, reddit, etc if you need a place to call someone a dumfuk because they see the world differently than you.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Shrek

WKR
If you kill all the contentious political threads and don’t kill off the “do a search here your question has been asked” posters it will get quiet around here. I think it’s great that you’re going to ban the trolls who come here only to argue politics but the lets ban all political discussion bunch are weak sauce people. Nothing makes you open a political thread and read it much less join in. It might help if Rokslide had a political forum so people who wished to avoid political issues could just hide the whole section and never see it and those who have strong opinions and don’t bruise easily can tell others just how wrong they are :)