politics in clothing, WHY?

spc7669

Lil-Rokslider
I had a buddy who owned a fly shop. Anybody who started talking politics was asked to leave. He didn’t want to alienate customers and potential customers over the whole clown show. Smart guy.

Steve Rinella did a great interview with Yvon Chouinard on a Meateater podcast. Chouinard was full of contradiction and lacking pragmatism. He came off sounding a bit like age was affecting his mental condition. He has accomplished a lot of great things but at the end of the interview I had a dislike for him and his views knew I’d never shop Patagonia again.

His lack of pragmatism makes him ignore causes to the fires that are very fixable. It’s not climate change that’s burning up the forests. It’s many years of state environmental mismanagement thats created a tinderbox of unharvested timber, dead trees, and thick underbrush that fuels the fires and allows them to spread so rapidly.

Hasn't Patagonia always been an activist company? Who's surprised by this?

They have always been extraordinarily transparent about their stance. They also very consistently put their money where their mouth is when it comes to their positions.

Also, as mentioned above Choinard is getting up there in years. The ME podcast was a little hard to follow. Read “Let My People Go Surfing” if you want a really fascinating take on his business principles. They clearly worked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are running out of brands to wear....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yeah dammit, aren't there any non-partisan gender neutral clothes that weren't made in a sweatshop or with any manufacturing techniques that hurt the environment? Do the Amish make any lightweight, camo, waterproof, quiet, breathable clothes?

spc7669

Lil-Rokslider
It’s all a giant game of 3 card Monty. I have one Patagonia shirt. Checked the tag and it’s made in Vietnam where I’m sure they make 15 bucks an hour and get union breaks. I have a Kifaru pack and use Jocko’s products because I know where they are made and respect the people who make them. Yvon sells most of his products to suburban college kids who think the 3rd world is a level on Grand Theft Auto.

Mt Al

WKR
Hasn't Patagonia always been an activist company? Who's surprised by this?

Yes and surprised anyone's surprised. Their core customer base will faint with pleasure at Patagonia's activism and buy more stuff made where people are treated like crap, no environmental laws burden the raw material and production process, overproduction (common) is dumped - but everyone will feel woke and convince themselves that putting on the clothes makes you part of the solution. They're the ones who got Outdoor Retailer moved from Utah because Utah isn't liberal enough.

All that said, Chouinard hunts, they've made great fishing gear for years, apparently (key word) for a while they were talking coming out with an upland game line of clothes/gear but thought of the pushback from their core customer base and opted not to.

gbflyer

WKR
I buy their stuff. I like their warranty. I have a SST jacket that I have sent back at least 4 times. I’ve bought second hand stuff. Send that back too and they replace it. I figure maybe if enough of us do that we will break them!

ODB

WKR

Spikeman

FNG
This confirms everything I heard about them, and I won't be buying any of there products.

Broomd

WKR
F ü ck em...
If I did want Patagonia, I'd go to eBay and purchase pre-owned.

The simple truth is that this scenario is about the same as Sitka Gear and ANWR.
Simply a company involving themselves in political policy when they don't know sh!t about what they are advocating.
They brainwash the masses via deception and without an ounce of provable science.

Jauwater

WKR
I absolutely hate the division politics create. If there were no politics in this world we would get along better. It's like the brand you wear today in someone's eye is gonna be virtue signaling, and that's came directly from politicking. It really is mind boggling to me why people want to get their brands mixed up in political BS. I try so hard to ignore it all, and just do my own thing, enjoy what I like, but it's so difficult these days.

Sent from my SM-S506DL using Tapatalk

Last edited: