Poll ?: Archery PRONGHORN stalk vs sitting water

Cplace

FNG
Interested in how you all did on your antelope archery hunts(Since mine is coming up)
Let’s get a poll going.
2 Questions:
Did you stalk or sit water?
Did you stick one or eat a tag?

want to hear all answers as to get an idea as to what is more successful, and hear any stories you want to throw in.

1,2,3,go…

HoytHntr4

WKR
Have killed 2 spot and stalk.

My advice if doing spot and stalk is to not even waste time on goats that are not in stalkable terrain, move on and find another one. Hunt for terrain that is stalkable, then look for goats in that terrain.

If they are moving, try to find a terrain feature that give you cover to make a move to cut them off.

If you are driving around spotting goats, if you see one that is somewhat close to the road in a stalkable spot, do not stop, keep driving until you get out of sight of them and then get out and make your play. They see trucks everyday, but it’s the ones that stop that they pay attention to

I have killed one with a bow mounted decoy, I didn’t use it trying to get him to charge in during the rut like I’ve heard some people do. I was cutting him off and it gave me enough time with him looking at it to draw and make the shot

You will blow a lot of stalks, go into it knowing that. If you get frustrated every time it happens the hunt won’t be fun. Every time it happens I just try to laugh it off and go find another one

Don’t be afraid to get off the road and make short hikes to places you can’t see from the roads

Have a cooler full of ice waiting at the truck and get it cooling down ASAP if successful, it’s some of the best wild game meat if taken care of properly

Good luck and have fun

TSAMP

WKR
Both! Even though I'm alpha and blow everyone off the grasslands. I will stalk till I'm sick of it and sit waterholes I have setup for a afternoon to rest up. No reason to only pick one.

Spot and stalk antelope is a tough proposition unless you have terrain. Even then, most shots are going to be long. I can't tell you how many "Spot and Stalk" antelope are shot from the side of a gravel road at stoopid ranges......... Seen it alot.

I used a decoy to kill a goat with my bow a few years ago. Spot and stalked a lot last year and didn't get it done until rifle season.

Probably sitting water because I have other plans this September when the decoying is good and I'd like to stick a goat with my bow again.

CougarBlue

Lil-Rokslider
I've got a hard to get goat tag here in AZ this year and am preparing for both. We've been getting so much rain up north, that I'll go into it as a spot and stalk. But I'll have a blind in the truck in case I need a break from crawling on my belly.

I did both about 50/50 on a 4-day hunt a few years ago. Stalked (belly crawled) to within 60-70 yards, but couldn’t get to my knees/feet for a shot. Most other stalks ended about 100-150 yards. I’d only recommend this with a +70 yard range and enough terrain features to pull it off.

I finally got a shot on water at VERY last light, the very last evening. CO is tough without a sight pin light. Clipped belly hair at 42 yards. I would only recommend this on the hottest days, if there’s minimal watering choices.

@StraightWayOutdoors
Straight Way Outdoors, Fulcrum Archery, Elite Archery, Upwind Odor Elimination, Wicked Twisted Bowstrings, Sevr Broadheads, Pine Ridge Archery, Bloodline Fibers

hutty

Lil-Rokslider
I prefer spot and stalk. I sit in tree stands for deer in the east and like to walk when out west. As others said terrain is the key.
One the best hunts I had was 3 years ago . Got within 70 yards after 3 hours of a trophy goat but too far for me. Watched him chase off other lope, make a scrape, and herd his does. Later in the trip did a spot and stalk on a bedded antelope and was successful More fun than should be legal LOL. bringing my bow again this year.

Laramie

WKR
Have done both since the late 80's. Water is by far the most productive in most areas. Spot and stalk is the most fun but challenging to say the least. If you are comfortable shooting long range, you can get it done spot and stalk. If you are a 40 yards and in kind of guy, sit the water.

KHNC

WKR
I stalk when i dont care about killing one, then sit water when i want to be successful.

WCB

WKR
I've sat for a total of 2 days in a bling for Antelope...I'd rather eat a tag. I go out west to have room to move and see different things.

Spot and Stalk 100%. Way more fun and actually develops hunting skills.

Laramie

WKR
I've sat for a total of 2 days in a bling for Antelope...I'd rather eat a tag. I go out west to have room to move and see different things.

Spot and Stalk 100%. Way more fun and actually develops hunting skills.
Many coming out west to hunt antelope with a bow are already used to sitting for long periods in a tree stand. Not much different really. I bring a camera and get pictures of a lot of different wildlife. It can get hot and boring for sure but it is undeniably the easiest way to get an arrow in a goat.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Sitting water really sucks. It’s hotter than you can imagine and boring as hell. I agree that only stalking animals in stalkable terrain is a good idea.

I did some spot and stalking in the mornings and evenings and sat at a waterhole in the afternoon.got within 75 yards about 1 out off 10 stalks(closest was 38 yards but didn't get a shot)ended up shooting one from the blind.

SaltyBowman

Lil-Rokslider
I have always stalked in the morning and sat water in the afternoon. Where I hunt is private land in central Wyoming and the topography is great for spot and stalk.

DoubleDropMuley

Lil-Rokslider
Been a couple yrs since I’ve had a tag but my last one was spot and stalk never tried the water blind combo, always had to be moving but as I get older I’m thinking about trying it when I draw a tag again!!!