Poll: Are Non-residents applying for Fall Hunts in Colorado as planned?

As a Non-Resident Colorado hunter that was planning on hunting CO this fall, I...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

J_hol

Lil-Rokslider
Hi Everyone,

I'm a hunting guide in CO and I'm wondering if COVID-19 is making folks wary of applying for Colorado tags. I know there aren't a bunch of options, but I didn't want to play the what-if game. If you were going to apply then you did or you didn't. The draw closes next week (April 7th). I'm sure some people are worried about burning a bunch of points/money with this level of uncertainty. I know I have a non-resident draw hunt this spring that is very much in limbo.

Cheers,

J

seiowabow

FNG
I applied. Kinda waffled on it, but finally did. Sure hope it was the right thing to do.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

bowhuntrben

Lil-Rokslider
I decided not to apply (except for moose/sheep). If things calm down between now and august/September I’ll go OTC somewhere

Indyal

Lil-Rokslider
I have/had a Dall sheep hunt planned in August. I put in for preference points deer and elk in CO. If my sheep hunt is canceled, i will consider OTC elk tags for CO

I didn't vote because I applied for a draw right before this happened. I probably would not have if this had been happening at the time. Would have planned on otc if everything was fine by them.

Ranger619

WKR
I did apply, but went back and forth all week on it. I don't have a ton of points and will turn my tag in for a refund and lose the points if I need to.

Rich M

WKR
I bought a point to increase my 2021 odds and make sure that plans could be made, which is when I was planning on going (2021), even before the C-9 thing hit - not sure how that factors into the poll.

With everything that is going on, it should be a light year on the mountains.

Wapiti1

WKR
As per my usual, I applied for tags I have a tiny chance of drawing save a deer tag. Should be there for 3rd season deer.

Jeremy

I will try for a PP for Colorado. Lord willing I will do an otc elk hunt if all else fails.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

slaton

Lil-Rokslider
I put in for archery elk and a bear tag. Hopefully everything will be back to normal by September 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

isu22andy

WKR
Honestly surprised at the numbers of the poll so far - for a forum of the more hardcore hunter I figured the odds would be more skewed to going no matter what . Im sure the average joes are leaning more on not going .

dihardhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I voted No as I had 10 points and was planning to cash out on a deer hunt, but...too much risk involved to put 10 points on the line. That said, I'll still likely watch the leftover list this summer and may very well wind up in Colorado after all - we shall see.

sndmn11

WKR
I didn't vote because I applied for a draw right before this happened. I probably would not have if this had been happening at the time. Would have planned on otc if everything was fine by them.
You applied in Colorado? If so, and you are wanting to change your plans to be more flexible by doing OTC, I believe you can change your application.

Do you think this is going to affect OTC? I fear that if this all blows over by September that OTC elk in Colorado is going to be even more than a circus show than it usually is. Wondering also if this scare has guys putting in for later seasons, like 3rd rifle rather than planning for early seasons like archery or muzzleloader. Or if guys are planning to hunt OTC in Colorado vs previous plans to hunt elsewhere.

blackdawg

WKR
Do you think this is going to affect OTC? I fear that if this all blows over by September that OTC elk in Colorado is going to be even more than a circus show than it usually is. Wondering also if this scare has guys putting in for later seasons, like 3rd rifle rather than planning for early seasons like archery or muzzleloader. Or if guys are planning to hunt OTC in Colorado vs previous plans to hunt elsewhere.
Yes, I know a a bunch of guys that go OTC, the majority are bailing. Most of these guys have been doing the OTC for 5-10 years at minimum, some much longer. After 3 weeks of this, I can already see priorities starting to change around here, most of these guys are small business owners and the business is tanking or starting the slide.

Yes, I know a a bunch of guys that go OTC, the majority are bailing. Most of these guys have been doing the OTC for 5-10 years at minimum, some much longer. After 3 weeks of this, I can already see priorities starting to change around here, most of these guys are small business owners and the business is tanking or starting the slide.
That makes sense. I didn't think of the fact that a lot of guys might not have resources to buy an out of state tag, let alone take time off and travel west for a hunt after this coronacrapola.

apkleinschmidt

Lil-Rokslider
It might be worth adding to the did not apply option, "OR I decided to apply for preference points only." Or making preference points only a third option. Just a thought.

I put in for a cow moose tag in Colorado that, based on historical odds, I have about a 100% chance of drawing. I am betting most of this will be blown over by mid summer. At least, that's what I keep telling myself.

Did PP only for elk and mule deer like always.