Poll: How Many Moved For Hunting?

Have you moved to a state for better hunting out west (+Alaska)?

• Total voters

Dirtbag

WKR
I definitely feel like there's some merit to this. I'm seeing a handful of Wyoming towns (mine included) where cost of living is increasing and areas are slowly being Jackson-ified.
seems like Wyoming is holding on the longest to true western lifestyle, unfortunately though, in the research I've done on the few towns i'd want to live in that can support my lifestyle, the cost of living is still pretty up there, but Wyoming may still be in the running.

UWneptune308

Lil-Rokslider
I missed the wide open spaces and long hunting seasons of the West.
New Hampshire is great if like like cities like Boston (1-hour away), need the ocean (15 minutes away),
or like the forests of the White Mountains National Forest (1-hour away),
or like antiques and historical places.

I went from northern Utah where the bird season ranged from early September blue grouse
at high elevation to February huns in wheat stubble.
Plus a 90-day season on ducks (7 duck bag limit).
Plus world class fly-fishing all summer long.
Plus antelope, mule deer, elk hunting.
Plus low humidity and no winter of ice glazing everything with each storm like coastal NH.
Plus no Lymes disease and lots of public land.
Places to shoot and camp with not bothering other folks.
And Idaho/Wyoming was a short drive for even more opportunities.

New Hampshire simply did not have the wide open spaces, lots of public land, or the diversity
of bird hunting that the west had.
I also like Utah that if it was hot, it was a short drive up Logan, Canyon to high elevation and excellent trout fishing.
If it was cold, a road trip to southern Utah brought warmth and sunshine.

Very interesting. I’m a diver on the coast hence why I like NH for the mountains and ability to get in the ocean frequently. I spend a lot of time in New Hampshire and frankly I’m tired of being close to people where I’m at now. This is my first year hunting so maybe one day I’ll move out west when my daughter is older.

I appreciate you reaching back out though. The older I get the more I can’t stand being close to any cities/large towns. I do a lot of diving for seafood and haven’t spent much time behind a reel it’s definitely something that interest me though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JakeSCH

WKR
I almost did this year. Then I decided I can just make more money where I am at and pay to play if needed.

Maybe I'll buy land / second home in the future.

grfox92

WKR
Moved from New York to Wyoming 1 year ago.

I bowhunted whitetails obsessively in the suburbs of NYC in Connecticut, NY and NJ.

After 20 years of the same old thing and wanting to get away from NY in the worst way we made the jump. Did our research looked into the schools.

I'm starting a business that will revolve around tourism and my goal is to work 7 days a week from June 1st till September 1st and be able to take the entire fall and winter off.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

cnelk

WKR
I left N Minnesota for Colorado 33 years ago for….

Better weather, better hunting, better women - and not necessarily in that order

CorbLand

WKR
I missed the wide open spaces and long hunting seasons of the West.
New Hampshire is great if like like cities like Boston (1-hour away), need the ocean (15 minutes away),
or like the forests of the White Mountains National Forest (1-hour away),
or like antiques and historical places.

I went from northern Utah where the bird season ranged from early September blue grouse
at high elevation to February huns in wheat stubble.
Plus a 90-day season on ducks (7 duck bag limit).
Plus world class fly-fishing all summer long.
Plus antelope, mule deer, elk hunting.
Plus low humidity and no winter of ice glazing everything with each storm like coastal NH.
Plus no Lymes disease and lots of public land.
Places to shoot and camp with not bothering other folks.
And Idaho/Wyoming was a short drive for even more opportunities.

New Hampshire simply did not have the wide open spaces, lots of public land, or the diversity
of bird hunting that the west had.
I also like Utah that if it was hot, it was a short drive up Logan, Canyon to high elevation and excellent trout fishing.
If it was cold, a road trip to southern Utah brought warmth and sunshine.
Shhhh. Please stop talking about Northern Utah. Its full.

Seriously debating on a move the girlfriend is 100% on board wyoming and Montana pretty high on the list

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Laramie

WKR
I have lived in several states. Every move was made considering a balance of career and outdoor opportunities. There are ways to make a great wage in a low cost of living area and have great hunting... Wyoming & Montana are not that place right now.

bnsafe

WKR
we moved to colorado a few years ago, but wife was only there a couple years and wanted to move back to mo to be closer to family. I shoulda stayed.

I have lived in several states. Every move was made considering a balance of career and outdoor opportunities. There are ways to make a great wage in a low cost of living area and have great hunting... Wyoming & Montana are not that place right now.
Colorado would be better work wise but the cost of living seems to be getting out of hand

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

FlyGuy

WKR
I haven’t yet, but plan to. I’m 48 next month. Looking to retire as early as possible (55?) so that I can still get up a mtn solo. I haven’t fully researched it all, but the general idea is to take up residency in AK 1st. Kill everything I can for 2-3 years. Once done, relocate to WY. Hunt those cherry wilderness areas they like to lock nonrez out of and burn thru points in all the surrounding states until I die leaving behind on a giant pile of sheds and taxidermy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Moved from WI to CO 46 years ago then to BC 12 years ago. Both moves were for a combination of good jobs and the bowhunting potential. Neither disappointed overall but you have to work hard...both at work and to be a successful bowhunter!

wa_archer

FNG
as for now im 14 years into a 25yr retirment in my job and have to stay where im at. not willing to walk away from that financially. We did already buy land were i hunt out of stateand plan to move once retire. Be a fun place to visit in the mean time. planning on building a shop w livable next spring/summer.

Because the fishing and trapping is great too!!

Plus its still easy to live where there aren't many people..
Plus no snakes, gators, hurricanes, tornadoes, chiggers, fire ants, poison ivy, lymes disease, heat and humidity, etc.
No road salt to rust out vehicles, a free hunting/fishing/trapping license at age 60.
Free over the counter tags for most big game species including Dall Sheep.

I have stayed in Idaho since college largely because quality of life in general. Will choose to stay in Idaho, Alaska, or Montana for the rest of my life minus details. Tons of jobs in those states in my career field and if I ever start a family, plenty of like minded women to choose from and where I'd want my future kids to experience a good outdoorsy childhood and nature. That being said, i can never live near a big city again. Being 2-3 hours from big towns in the summers (pop>10k people) the last several years has been great for the mind and the soule.

BadDogPSD

WKR
I moved from Wyoming in 1984 and have been trying to get back there ever since. Getting close to 60 and already aware I can't do things like I used to. MT is 2nd choice, ID & UT tied for 3rd.
The wife is open to MT or ID, so you can probably guess how this will go.