POLL - How Many PPoints Did it Take in CO this Year for Deer?

In CO Deer draw 2021, how many points above min required last year, did it take to draw your unit?

• 0 Points

Votes: 35 43.2%
  • 1 Point

Votes: 12 14.8%
  • 2 points

Votes: 8 9.9%
  • 3 points

Votes: 8 9.9%
  • 4+ Points

Votes: 18 22.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Very curious about semi-ancedotal data compared to what the hype has been about, concerning point creep this year?
Comment below with more observations if relevant.
I'm well aware of draw statistical data and dates of when they are released. I have the old CDOW pdf spreadsheets saved back for years.
I even have Big Game Brochures dating back to 2001 with all my handwritten notes in them. Remeber when 76 cow tags were a B license?
This is raw data just for fun.

* I also posted this on HT.

Last edited:

MIKEPETTI

FNG
I had one above what it took last year and did not draw this year. Frustrating. Unit 77 archery. Curious to know how many points it took to get in this year.

Teaspoon

FNG
I drew archery with 0 and my wife drew with 7 on a 5 year tag. Residents. She went all in. Hunting deer and eating Thanksgiving dinner. Can't beat that combo.

Brianb3

WKR
I drew a 1 point draw last year on 1 point. Deer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Teaspoon

FNG
I had one above what it took last year and did not draw this year. Frustrating. Unit 77 archery. Curious to know how many points it took to get in this year.
That's interesting. You'd think the majority of the applicants and point burners were for 3rd and 4th rifle because of the pushed back season dates.

That's interesting. You'd think the majority of the applicants and point burners were for 3rd and 4th rifle because of the pushed back season dates.

Unless you are an avid bow hunter and are worried about the quality of the deer herd having a serious decline from said late season dates this year. So you apply this year before all the big bucks are gone.

alaska_bou

Lil-Rokslider
The unit I applied for was 100% with 7 points last year and this year I did not draw with 9 points.

Dead eye BT

Lil-Rokslider
I drew a NR 4th season deer tag with 4 points, that took 4 points last year.

I’m looking forward to seeing the “drawn out at” report to see just how lucky I was.

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
Will be in CO unit 12 with OTC bull tags and drew NR muley and cow tags with 0 points.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

switchback270

Lil-Rokslider
Last year was over 50% with one point and 100% with 2. I applied and drew with 3. Non resident 3rd season rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wyo2track

Lil-Rokslider
Depends on the Unit. Some didnt require anymore than last year. Others, such as a large radius around Gunnison may have jumped by 5 or more. This is all just internet whisper though... I'd imagine the draw statistic report would be out within a couple weeks.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Unless you are an avid bow hunter and are worried about the quality of the deer herd having a serious decline from said late season dates this year. So you apply this year before all the big bucks are gone.
This is the sentiment we have heard from all over. Lots of people are wanting out of the point in CO for deer because of this. There are those who are pretty sure they will never have a better chance with the later season and those who are worried about quality getting hammered.

Any unit that had any mention in internet/magazine/etc of a big deer being killed in the last 5-10 years saw point creep. The less talked about units likely didn't see much creep. Loose lips sink ships.

I drew my first choice 2021 deer tag with 1pp more than required in 2020 for a resident to draw for my unit. Once they release the draw reports I will see how many, if any, drew the tag with the points it took in 2020.

This is the sentiment we have heard from all over. Lots of people are wanting out of the point in CO for deer because of this. There are those who are pretty sure they will never have a better chance with the later season and those who are worried about quality getting hammered.
Right. If I was sitting on a boatload of points I would have used them this year as well.

I've never really played the point game for deer. Just collect enough of them to be a contender for a unit I like hunting. The points required for my preferred units has grown over the years as you would figure. If the points grow much more I might have to look for other units though.

Azone

WKR
Went with 4th rifle instead of a destination 2nd rifle hunt. Applied with one more point than last year and got drawn with 5 points. Friend of mine pulled the same tag with 3 points.