POLL - How Many PPoints Did it Take in CO this Year for Deer?

In CO Deer draw 2021, how many points above min required last year, did it take to draw your unit?

• 0 Points

Votes: 35 43.2%
  • 1 Point

Votes: 12 14.8%
  • 2 points

Votes: 8 9.9%
  • 3 points

Votes: 8 9.9%
  • 4+ Points

Votes: 18 22.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lytro

WKR
Drew 2nd Season NR with last year's cutoff.

Is this poll even relevant without actual draw statistics? Or are you trying to out all the people who contributed to point creep? Lol

cnelk

WKR
You guys did see that the CPW reduced buck tag allotment in some areas due to the later seasons didnt you?
Be sure to use that in the calcs when the Draw Recaps come out

I drew with 0 PPs in a unit that has both gagger WT and MD.

NateK

Lil-Rokslider
I did not see the reduced tag numbers but I am glad to hear there was some adjustment made.

Mw01313

FNG
I burnt 5 points to draw a unit that was 100% last year with 2 for 3rd season. Buddy drew it with 2.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Very curious about semi-ancedotal data compared to what the hype has been about, concerning point creep this year?
Comment below with more observations if relevant.
I'm well aware of draw statistical data and dates of when they are released. I have the old CDOW pdf spreadsheets saved back for years.
I even have Big Game Brochures dating back to 2001 with all my handwritten notes in them. Remeber when 76 cow tags were a B license?
This is raw data just for fun.

* I also posted this on HT.
great idea!

I didn't draw so I don't know, and there was only a 30% chance of drawing at my point level so even no point creep couldve got me.

OP
BrokenArrow
great idea!

I didn't draw so I don't know, and there was only a 30% chance of drawing at my point level so even no point creep couldve got me.
Thanks!

Anyway, "this raw data is just for fun," is exactly what I was going for. I am a scientist and read nothing into this other than a very limited sample size (biased as hell) data set. The results are very different on HT than RS (imagine that). Again, no real conclusions.

Based on results and comments on this thread and others, it appears that the 0-1 pp/unit poll choice didn't really see a jump in point creep. That was to be expected.
I fell into this category. My personal experience this draw cycle is that I chose a unit/odds which required 0 and that is exactly what happened. I don't really chase deer that much. Seems liek some of the more limited units with lowered objective quota for 2021 had point creep that solely could be attributed to just that factor, lowered population objectives and subsequent lowered quotas?

RS is a very "different" crowd, many uncontrolled variables. Again this was just for fun. The "Drawn out at" report for 2021 will give us the full data set and real results.

+Thanks for Participating!!

1622075981449.png

Last edited:

Marble

WKR
You guys did see that the CPW reduced buck tag allotment in some areas due to the later seasons didnt you?
Be sure to use that in the calcs when the Draw Recaps come out

I drew with 0 PPs in a unit that has both gagger WT and MD.
Me too...

I'm sure I'll strike out next year lol.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

204guy

WKR
I didn't draw 2nd season in a high end unit with 3 points over last year. I've read it took 5+.

Rich M

WKR
So, here we have some good season dates, bunch of folks hyping each-other up over the idea that all the big bucks are gonna get slaughtered and the point creep is gonna go thru the roof. With the mind games, some folks seemed to have wasted a lot of points and created their own point creep cause they listened to the internet chatter from a bunch of fortune tellers with crystals balls.

IF you know what you were doing and had the points to burn, the 3rd or 4th season could be a wonderful hunt. Looking forward to seeing some real nice bucks hit the ground this year.

IMO, the question is will 3rd or 4th season be better? All gonna come down to the weather.

Another question is if the guys who got out this year with the best tags - are they done and out of the CO game? Will it change the point requirements going into the future?

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
So, here we have some good season dates, bunch of folks hyping each-other up over the idea that all the big bucks are gonna get slaughtered and the point creep is gonna go thru the roof. With the mind games, some folks seemed to have wasted a lot of points and created their own point creep cause they listened to the internet chatter from a bunch of fortune tellers with crystals balls.
hey bro' I totally respect your opinion on this and not saying you're even wrong, but it was more than just internet chatter. the research services were predicting the same point creep.

We'll see when the data comes out where it all landed.

Studs1991

FNG
It was a guaranteed draw for my unit with 2 points last year (2nd rifle). However, this is one of those units where it takes significantly more points to draw 3rd seasons than it does to draw 2nd season. I was a bit surprised there wasn’t more of a point creep based on the hype of this years dates. I’m glad the OP started this thread so we can discuss before the CPW data is released. My easy prediction is that point creep was experienced more in 3rd and 4th season tags

204guy

WKR
Obviously the later seasons where going to have more creep. The thing I didn't see discussed much is the higher end units where going to gave significantly more creep than mid tier and low. Guys saving points for 7,10, 15 + years aren't going to burn their points in a unit that tops out at 170" bucks.

Rich M

WKR
hey bro' I totally respect your opinion on this and not saying you're even wrong, but it was more than just internet chatter. the research services were predicting the same point creep.

We'll see when the data comes out where it all landed.

The research services don't know what's gonna happen anymore than the guy with the crystal ball. They say stuff (massive point creep) and make predictions (all the big bucks are gonna get shot - ruining CO as a trophy deer state) - folks blindly follow - it creates a situation.

Guys dump 5 pts on a 1 pt unit. I guess all we can say is shame on them for listening? Or is it shame on the services for pushing those stories to sell services and write articles? Ultimately only the guy who did the deed pays the price.

Seen a story of guy putting in 4 pts for a unit his buddy drew on 2 pts. Some guy went dry with 14 points. Should be some more interesting stories as things pan out.

Don't get me wrong, I can see folks using a bunch of points to be the first ones to hunt the rut in many units - this is what they had been saving those points for. And good for them. I hope they have exceptional hunts.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
The research services don't know what's gonna happen anymore than the guy with the crystal ball. They say stuff (massive point creep) and make predictions (all the big bucks are gonna get shot - ruining CO as a trophy deer state) - folks blindly follow - it creates a situation.

Guys dump 5 pts on a 1 pt unit. I guess all we can say is shame on them for listening? Or is it shame on the services for pushing those stories to sell services and write articles? Ultimately only the guy who did the deed pays the price.

Seen a story of guy putting in 4 pts for a unit his buddy drew on 2 pts. Some guy went dry with 14 points. Should be some more interesting stories as things pan out.

Don't get me wrong, I can see folks using a bunch of points to be the first ones to hunt the rut in many units - this is what they had been saving those points for. And good for them. I hope they have exceptional hunts.
I find the services are right far more often than they are wrong.

204guy

WKR
I find the services are right far more often than they are wrong.
Correct, when you're in the information business, you're not going to last long putting out incorrect information. (I realize how dumb that sounds when applied to the MSM, but I think it still fits somebody like gohunt.)

Do any of the research services publish membership #'s? I wonder how much influence they actually have. Iirc CO is around 250,000 apps in the deer draw. It'd take a decent membership #'s to sway things.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Correct, when you're in the information business, you're not going to last long putting out incorrect information. (I realize how dumb that sounds when applied to the MSM, but I think it still fits somebody like gohunt.)

Do any of the research services publish membership #'s? I wonder how much influence they actually have. Iirc CO is around 250,000 apps in the deer draw. It'd take a decent membership #'s to sway things.
I've not seen those numbers published, but do know that one of the big ones is over 15K in memberships.

I know they move the needle when it comes to applications as I've talked to many hunters that quote them, even on this forum.