POLL - How Many PPoints Did it Take in CO this Year for Deer?

In CO Deer draw 2021, how many points above min required last year, did it take to draw your unit?

• 0 Points

Votes: 35 43.2%
  • 1 Point

Votes: 12 14.8%
  • 2 points

Votes: 8 9.9%
  • 3 points

Votes: 8 9.9%
  • 4+ Points

Votes: 18 22.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Greenhorn

FNG
I applied or the first time this year in CO, with 12 points on a 2nd season deer hunt that took 6 last year. The 2nd season dates, a good unit with good numbers by CPW, and what I assumed was a sure bet draw was the reason I applied. I drew, but my friend with 10 points did not. I'm looking forward to trying a CO deer hunt.

I drew but I knew I had plenty of extra. I wouldn’t be surprised if I had 4+ points than what it actually took to draw.

My wife didn’t draw. Her point group had like 80% odds last year. It’ll be interesting to see if people in her point group drew and she had bad luck or if it creeped that much.

ColoradoV

WKR
They are posted if you want to take a look... All 1050 pages reading gets interesting in the 500's or so enjoy....

Last edited:

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
The unit I applied for jumped from 30% drawn at 2nd choice in 2020 to 84% successful at 0 points 2021. So a healthy jump for a mediocre-at-best unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
Man the hype has been insane over Colorado mule deer this year. I hope November is 80 degrees all month long!

lol jk good luck everyone. I really hope your double digit points in a 6 point unit makes you happy with the hunt/bucks you see..

Man the hype has been insane over Colorado mule deer this year. I hope November is 80 degrees all month long!

lol jk good luck everyone. I really hope your double digit points in a 6 point unit makes you happy with the hunt/bucks you see..
My guess is there will be many disappointed high point holders. I also foresee lots of 140-150" bucks getting shot because will feel the need to shoot something after dumping all their points.

Brianb3

WKR

I’m pretty sure this is a CWD cull season on older age class not a free for all on trophies. Sucks..... coming to a state near you. Unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gledeasy

Lil-Rokslider
The hunt I did last year went from 36% odds with 0 points to 36% with 1 point.

My brother and I went for a tag that had lots of leftovers last year. We drew, but not everyone with 0 points did. Glad we played it safe going with it as first choice.

MRC

FNG

2nd,3rd,and 4th season hunts always got different point values. Each of these seasons has jumped one level with the new dates. Lots of people are going to hunt 4th season dates this year that they would never have been able to draw before. They didn’t spend double digit points for the same dates as they did 6 points. Every year the weather is a crapshoot.

160andup

Lil-Rokslider
Scrolling through that draw recap I can’t help but cringe when I see the random successful applicant with 20+ points drawing a tag that was drawn out at 0. Must be kicking themselves when they see that...

WCB

WKR
Any guess where it will be next year?

this year was an anomaly. Perfect storm for folks with enough points to enjoy it.
I honestly think this is the new normal....Every state has seen an increase in points needed and a noticeable increase in applicants. The days of hunting units every year or over other year are coming to an end if they haven't already.

So I drew a 3rd season deer tag in 44. I was apprehensive based on all the speculation that point creep would be significant this year. Well, for that unit and for residents, the creep just didn't happen as I could have drawn 4th season. Either way, I believe the weather will determine whether 3rd or 4th is best so I'll find that info out in Late November! btw, I do know a guy that is likely gonna turn his 4th season tag in but not sure when, so there'll be a massive scramble I'm sure when that pops up.

sndmn11

WKR
So I drew a 3rd season deer tag in 44. I was apprehensive based on all the speculation that point creep would be significant this year. Well, for that unit and for residents, the creep just didn't happen as I could have drawn 4th season. Either way, I believe the weather will determine whether 3rd or 4th is best so I'll find that info out in Late November! btw, I do know a guy that is likely gonna turn his 4th season tag in but not sure when, so there'll be a massive scramble I'm sure when that pops up.

In what I have looked at, the resident point creep was in line with what it has been traditionally. Non-resident was a different story.