Was this a “clean miss” or a hit?

• Hit

Votes: 70 64.2%
  • Miss

Votes: 39 35.8%

• Total voters

TheCougar

WKR
Check out the 15:15 point in this video, and the ensuing couple of minutes with commentary until around 16:30 when he claims it was a “clean miss”. I’ve got my opinion, but make your own call.

Probably shot right below him or wizzed right over, which could cause the reaction the Elk has. Hard to tell by that video and if they looked for blood and couldn’t find any, you have to assume a miss.

ewade07

WKR
Can we talk about the shot selection as well? WTF? Definitely hit him as well. I love his response. "I hit him!", like he can barely believe it. How far was that shot?

These Youtube glory hunters are really starting to get old with their questionable choices.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
If you have to assume a miss, then you have to assume the shooter was being unethical and shooting far beyond his abilities. The truth is they called it a hit, then when things did not go their way they said it was a "clean miss." When you are "so confused" it is probably because reality does not line up with what you want.

S.Clancy

WKR
My first impression watching last night was a miss. So I'm going to stick with that this morning.

It does appear he employed the "spray and pray" method...

Last edited:

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
Obviously wasn’t there and didn’t get to review any other footage, but made me uneasy when I watched this last night....

Fatcamp

WKR
"That's hunting."
"Don't judge, bro."
"Everyone misses, we are honest enough to show it."
" Archery hunters do it all the time."
" Practice out to 1100."
" Clean miss, wind call was off."

Should about cover it.

Northpark

WKR
My initial reaction was hit but the bull looked fine a few seconds later and there was no evidence of a hit showing on what should have been the entrance side.

Now that being said from what I can see in the video that is not a shot I would have taken (at least I’d like to think I wouldn’t have) but hey I wasn’t looking through the crosshairs so maybe he saw something different. At work we call this the human factor. It makes sense to the person making the decision at the time.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
They'll never know. Even on close shots (under 100 yards) I've shot elk with a rifle that just stood there for a couple seconds after the shot, and then wandered off. No blood at all on the snow, no hair where he stood, and then blood starting to show drops after 100 yards and then down after 300 yards with blood everywhere. Shot right behind the shoulder, broken rib going in and broken rib coming out. I doubt they were able to stay on his tracks that far to tell.

ODB

WKR
Hit. The bullet would have gotten there before the sound. The way the bull literally stopped in his tracks and hunched up says the bullet hit him - somewhere.

I will say I cringe every time I hear some dude off camera saying “hitem again, hitem again, hitem again.” Not a lot of confidence there...

Traveler

WKR
"That's hunting."
"Don't judge, bro."
"Everyone misses, we are honest enough to show it."
" Archery hunters do it all the time."
" Practice out to 1100."
" Clean miss, wind call was off."

Should about cover it.
There plenty of threads on here about “not all shots presentations are perfect”, “reality isnt all broadside”.

Last edited:

Neptune8

FNG
I just want to say that if you’re first reaction after pulling the trigger is “I hit him!?!?” The shot is too far.
My initial feeling is the bull was hit in the neck brisket area, based on the bulls reaction/dazed 3-4 seconds regaining his composure.
It’s always easy to armchair quarterback but if you are filming your hunt your ethics and methods should be beyond reproach. If you pull the trigger on a animal no matter what you mark the location and look for blood. If your filming it that step should be memorialized.
Just my .02