Poll: Should horses be allowed

SHOULD HORSES BE ALLOWED ON PUBLIC GROUND

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Poll: Should horses be allowed on public ground

My friends and I were discussing a few things around the campfire this past weekend and this question came up.

I'm not really looking to debate this because it has been debated a thousand times.

I would however just like to let the numbers show what people really think.

Lets define public ground as:

-BLM
-Wilderness Areas
-National Forest

Last edited:

WKR
I think you'd have to define "public ground" a lot more thoroughly in order to get any quality responses.

The only places I'd vote no, are specific areas for other recreation activities such as MTB trails where the horses really muck up the trails in soft conditions and create some safety concerns (mostly for the horse riders).

mntnguide

WKR
Id love to see how well the wilderness trails would stay maintained without horses being utilized... fact is they wouldn't. I'll never see a trail hippy carrying enough wood to replace a bridge or carry enough gravel to fix and maintain washouts and marsh areas 10-30 miles from any trailhead. Horses helped create the trail systems that many are happy to use today, and they are also the reason those trails can be maintained

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Lawnboi

WKR
Yes, but on designated trails, just like any other mode of transport. My answer dosnt sit in any category in the poll.

As for trails not being maintained because horses wouldn't do the work... GOOD! Don't need trails cut through all our public land, many places are bordering on ridiculous

204guy

WKR
Id love to see how well the wilderness trails would stay maintained without horses being utilized... fact is they wouldn't. I'll never see a trail hippy carrying enough wood to replace a bridge or carry enough gravel to fix and maintain washouts and marsh areas 10-30 miles from any trailhead. Horses helped create the trail systems that many are happy to use today, and they are also the reason those trails can be maintained

I've never seen a trail hippy with a chainsaw in the wilderness. I've seen plenty of evidence of saddle tramps using them there though.

This is exactly why I will always support stock in Wilderness areas. Without stock there would be no trails in Washington. Or at least not for long. Whenever I run into a nice, burly, safe bridge way back in the middle of nowhere I tip my cap to an unknown wrangler!

Amen!!

Can't say I've ever seen one packing a crosscut for big trees, a pick for making rock bars, or a polaski for ditching to get streams out of trails either. To me it's funny because it's this new breed of die hard backcountry hunter that complains about horses the most (in the realm of hunting). So often it's the complaint of, I hiked XYZ many miles in just to find a horse camp where I wanted to hunt... Horses have been in the backcountry for centuries, they're not new. What is new is the Cam Hanes wanna be's that think because they spent the money on all their ultra light equipment and boutique camo that they should be the only people in the backcountry. If people don't want horses in the backcountry then backpackers better be stepping up in a big way to maintain the trail systems because the FS isn't going to get it done except for in the most touristy areas.

Rant over.

I've never seen a trail hippy with a chainsaw in the wilderness. I've seen plenty of evidence of saddle tramps using them there though.
If you had been there with a saw and axe to clear the trail, then perhaps there'd have been no need for the saddle tramp to use the chainsaw.

204guy

WKR
If you had been there with a saw and axe to clear the trail, then perhaps there'd have been no need for the saddle tramp to use the chainsaw.

It was just a jab at a jab. Should have been fairly obvious. For the record I totally support horses on public lands. While I utilize and appreciate the trails, lets be honest. Hikers do not need trail systems in the same way that horses do. Throwing out the trail maintenance card is a red herring because I simply go over or around blowdowns etc. I don't need or even want a trail that is that maintained.

I don't have horses and never will. I don't much care for horses. But could someone explain to me a good argument for banning or restricting horses on public land without all the drama? Just good sound arguments please.

It was just a jab at a jab. Should have been fairly obvious. For the record I totally support horses on public lands. While I utilize and appreciate the trails, lets be honest. Hikers do not need trail systems in the same way that horses do. Throwing out the trail maintenance card is a red herring because I simply go over or around blowdowns etc. I don't need or even want a trail that is that maintained.
Fair enough, but if trail maintenance is a red herring and obstacles are easily circumvented how would you circumvent this?
deb7192911134816896792969adb0c8f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

tttoadman

WKR
Fair enough, but if trail maintenance is a red herring and obstacles are easily circumvented how would you circumvent this?
deb7192911134816896792969adb0c8f.jpg

I think I recognize that spot!!
I am not a horse guy. I hate that they can out perform me and give somebody a huge advantage over me. I hate that they cover so much ground so quickly. I love that they do trail maintenance just walking trails. I love that the FS turns a blind eye to the horse packers that will trudge through the last bits of snow in Wilderness areas to start cutting trails out that everyone can enjoy. I love that horse guys are so jacked about what they do, and are usually willing to help someone in need. I think they are a staple of what makes a Wilderness experience in the west. Yes they stink, watch your step, and get over it I say.

OR Archer

WKR
Horses don't bother me at all. Grazing animals like sheep and cattle in designated wilderness areas do however.

Schaaf

WKR
I thought this was about Feral horses. Never encountered any problems with horses in wilderness areas or anywhere on public land for that matter.

kicker338

WKR
Don't mind horse pack strings in wilderness areas as long as I don't have have back back behind one of them. Good lord the horse crap and fly's plus the stink.

That one looks easy, nothing like my usual jaunts, and I can even see where I'm going. But I prefer to stay in the standing timber.
You'd not like the standing timber option. It's filled with dead fall from white firs and the footing is mostly 4-6" dirt over rotten granite. The slide extended another 400-500 yards below from that photo but the nature of the forest in that area doesn't allow you to use creek bottoms as a good way to maneuver because of the fallen trees. With a fully loaded pack you'd add an hour crossing a draw that'd take you maybe 10 minutes on the trail.