Poncho vs Rain coat

Lets say you have a USGI poncho, that is 20 oz. And you have a Gortex Paclite raincoat that is 20 oz. Which one would you take and why? Think of utilitarian, fit, ability to shed water, etc.

Great post I have been pondering the same question. I currently take a rain suit. The weight if I go lightweight and packable is 1 pound, if it's gonna rain hard core I will take a heavier rain gear setup it weighs 1.5 pounds. I've been looking at the z-pack poncho slash ground tarp its weight is only 5 ounces. Don't know if that's doable or not but interesting. There's a post on you tube on the z pack poncho and it looks like its pretty good.

Lawnboi

WKR
You should get that zpack rain skirt to go with your poncho hahah I think they call it a kilt

Im sticking with my raingear, I can hunt effectively in raingear if need be, not so much in a poncho

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I'd take a goretex pacltie rain coat like the GoLite one for thats 7 oz over either...

armyjoe

Super Moderator
Im sticking with my raingear, I can hunt effectively in raingear if need be, not so much in a poncho

X2 - rain gear allows you to move and function as normal. Being military I've learned to hate the poncho with a passion. That's why all SF teams run real rain gear now. Its more functional and that poncho is also way noisier because the extra fabrics flowing around.

bobhunts

WKR
Yep real rain gear will always be better. If your pack is outside of it slip a rain cover on and you are good. The Poncho of course will cover the shoulder straps but if you are wearing rain gear you will not get wet with a pack on your back. If you drop the pack and move on you will still be dry. I do like using a poncho as a small bivy although if you do not have real good rain gear and want to save a few bucks. They worked for a reason when they made them. I was one of those that was issued one.Bob.

slim9300

WKR
X2 - rain gear allows you to move and function as normal. Being military I've learned to hate the poncho with a passion. That's why all SF teams run real rain gear now. Its more functional and that poncho is also way noisier because the extra fabrics flowing around.

Exactly. I hunt in the rain all the time.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
When comparing 20 ounces to 20 ounces, I will take the rain gear every time.

When it comes to the multi-function GoLite Ponchotarp, though, I like it for cases where I will only see a possiblity of an occasional shower, and i can use it for many more uses.