Poncho?

gchs4464

FNG
Last year I used a military surplus goretex rain jacket and it performed fine. This year I want to save some weight and maybe get a little more versatility.
For my bottoms i just carry a set of Arc’teryx wraith wind pants. For southern Colorado in September I found they offer enough protection especially when paired with my gaiters. With how pleased I was with them I’m considering buying a wind shirt that has a tight weave and dwr, I’m thinking that’ll cover most anything, and carrying a light weight poncho tarp also for if a real storm rolls through and it would be a pretty versatile piece of gear. The two combined will be roughly the same weight are my goretex jacket. Has any one gone this route?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gearqueer

Lil-Rokslider
I brought a milsurp poncho with me on my Southern CO elk hunt this past year. There’s a reason we always had to have them in the military; they have a million uses.

This year I used it for heavy rain gear (I had DWR for lighter showers). I used it to cover my equipment at night to keep it from getting dew on everything. This saved me tent space. All that said, it was probably unnecessary since I carried a 2-man tent for just myself.

Depends on the time of year.
In the earlier seasons I use a 6x9 silnylon tarp as my main shelter, it sets up with trekking poles.
Usually the storms are short and I keep the tarp easy to get to and pop it up, snack and have a nap, wait for the storm to pass.

In times where it will be weather most of the day for multiple days I need a rain jacket I can hunt in.

To me a poncho and a separate shelter is kind of redundant weight. Buy maybe your a full tent shelter kinda person.
Even at that i think I'd still take a tarp.. it probably lighter then a poncho.
Unless for some reason you think you may maneuver while wearing the poncho.
20190520_135044.jpg

I carry a GoLite poncho with me on every outing regardless of the time of year. It can be a poncho or unfold to make a little A frame shelter with trekking poles or cordage. It is accompanied by 8 stakes and cordage.

I have one called the gatewood cape. I will wear a soft shell to handle light rain and use it when it pours. It works fine but it doesn’t replace a good hard shell for mobility or moving around. Also if you get bad wind say +10-15 mph, they can be a challenge. Lastly, if you use one as a combo shelter you may find your rain coat is staked to the ground covering your bed and gear when you want to move around.

Gsquared

Lil-Rokslider
I brought a milsurp poncho with me on my Southern CO elk hunt this past year. There’s a reason we always had to have them in the military; they have a million uses.

This year I used it for heavy rain gear (I had DWR for lighter showers). I used it to cover my equipment at night to keep it from getting dew on everything. This saved me tent space. All that said, it was probably unnecessary since I carried a 2-man tent for just myself.
What do you factor the weight of the MilSurp poncho is?

Gearqueer

Lil-Rokslider
What do you factor the weight of the MilSurp poncho is?

No idea. 23oz seems correct. The Metal grommets in them add weight. They are durable, but possibly too durable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk