Poop shovels

kayvon

FNG
Which poop hole digger do you all pack on backpack hunts?

You DO bury your poop, right?

wyosteve

WKR
I pack one of those small garden trowels I think they're called. Dig a hole that will last for several days and put dirt back over when done.

mrolen

Lil-Rokslider
I’m not packing the weight like said above heel of my boot works well. If you are really worried about it best bet is to sneak a garden shovel in your buddies pack at the trail head and let him pack it!

hh76

Lil-Rokslider
If a few of us in one spot for a few days, I bring a small aluminum gardening shovel.

If just me for a short time, I just kick back some dirt with my boot. Then I watch my dog poop wherever he wants and not think twice about it.

EdP

WKR
I normally use my boot as others have described, but when I hiked in the Sawtooths of Idaho I was glad to have brought along a small plastic shovel. Even with the shovel digging a cathole was a job in that dry and hard soil.

TheGDog

WKR
Bought one that's made of some kind of very tough plastic/nylon/whatever type of material. Also comes in handy when you need flatten out the ground before laying down your tents footprint.

anybody try these puppies?

twall13

WKR
There are a few good options out there that weigh next to nothing and do make it a lot easier to bury. I use this one, but would also consider this one. They could be rigged as a snow/sand stake if needed.

I've used a trekking pole, a small gardening hand shovel, and my boot or flipping rocks in the past. To me, it's worth the weight and money to just always have it in my poop kit for any ground conditions.

bsnedeker

WKR
I just used a stick or whatever was handy for a long time, but last summer I picked this up: https://www.garagegrowngear.com/col...sories/products/deuce-2-trowel-by-the-tentlab

Only 0.6oz, and it makes digging a good hole a helluva lot easier, especially with hard dirt or lots of roots. I do like the idea of just carrying and using a snow tent stake though.
Same! I also picked one of these up last year. Sticks and/or back of boot works 90% of the time, but in rockier soil it would be a pain. I figured at this weight it can't hurt to carry it and I find myself using it more often than not.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk