Poop shovels

Vaultman

WKR
I just flip a rock......never hunted anywhere where I couldn't find a rock...
That and my Esee 3 (or 4), that I already have on me do the trick. I know they are heavy, but it is really nice to have a HD knife. (Have a separate knife for skinning/processing).

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Rock, stick or what I call my "foot wedge" when golfing (shoes).

I went to a "certified" backpacking class/trip when I was 8 years old in the Sierras of California. They taught us to bring an army style shovel and dig at least a 1 foot wide by 1 foot deep hole. I took that same trip in my early teens as an advisor, and after going through the material and talking with the tenured guys and gals they all said they teach on it but nobody actually abides by it in the back country.

I can't tell if you boys are serious or not. I'd probably bring a dentist chair in case I got a toothache before I'd pack a shovel around for my turd. I like gear, but that seems silly.

Unless you are setting up a wall tent for a dozen men, then I can see digging a hole but I don't think it takes a lot of research to decide which shaped shovel is designed for digging a round hole.

I carry this one in my pack. Cheap and light-ish. Eventually I’ll probably get something lighter, but it’s a low priority.

7A9AE07E-F386-44AC-96DE-C7EDA674969B.png

twall13

WKR
No joke here, it's a part of my poop kit and actually comes in really handy for roots or rocky ground. It weighs less than an ounce and is well worth the weight to me. If it's not for you, cool, move along, but the OP asked the question so we are responding.
768966a0868d180fb264021035be0f0d.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

6.5x284

WKR
I run the Duece 2! My thought is it would make a good splint in a first aid situation as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember an article in one of the enviro magazines that told you to smear your poop on the rocks and burn your toilet paper. I have had a serious reluctance to sit on an outcrop without looking closely.

The burning toilet paper concept initiated three range fires that year and cost us thousands of dollars.

Frankly my poop isn't any more caustic than my horse's or my dog's. For a little common sense please get off the trail to dump your load. In a patch of heavy vegetation is preferable.

intunegp

WKR
Oof, this thread has been enlightening. To all you surface shitters/heel of your boot guys, none of the rest of us appreciate it very much when we stumble upon your dust coated turds and mound of tp/wet wipes. It's very windy where I hunt with very sandy (read: easy to dig) dirt and just kicking some dirt over your logs is not going to hide them for long. A proper hole takes minutes to make and is better for everyone. Kinda seems like the same type of dude who clogs the shitter at home and leaves it for his wife because he's done shitting so it's not his problem.

Randle

WKR
Oof, this thread has been enlightening. To all you surface shitters/heel of your boot guys, none of the rest of us appreciate it very much when we stumble upon your dust coated turds and mound of tp/wet wipes. It's very windy where I hunt with very sandy (read: easy to dig) dirt and just kicking some dirt over your logs is not going to hide them for long. A proper hole takes minutes to make and is better for everyone. Kinda seems like the same type of dude who clogs the shitter at home and leaves it for his wife because he's done shitting so it's not his problem.
Wow . If you stumble onto mine your are doing something special. No sand here to blow away

TheTone

WKR
I brought up the boot heel, they certainly are not on the surface. Most of the country I hunt is pretty soft soil and it’s easy to kick out a pretty good hole. Trust me, it’s not a surface deuce. When my friends and I do a larger base camp we pack a camp shovel and that gets used for digging cat holes. We’ve done the same trip to the same camp site for 10 years. I’m fully unaware of us even discovering a hole of our own

You shoot a 6.5 don’t you?

WCB

WKR
guys really carry a sh!t shovel around? If I really cared about it I would just use a tent stake. I have hunted all over the U.S., Canada, Africa, NZ, etc. and never been in a place where there wasn't a rock, some sticks, clump of dirt...etc that couldn't just be kicked or tossed on top.